What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Segeyaro Gate

Special K

Coach
I figured we might as well have a thread on James Segeyaro as we are actively trying to sign him.

AN emotional James Segeyaro has sighted loneliness and homesickness as the reason behind his plea to avoid returning to Leeds in the English Super League.

Breaking his silence on his desperate bid to remain in Australia, the talented hooker spoke of his ‘struggle with the English culture’ while also declaring; “this isn’t about rugby league, it’s about happiness.’’

“We always tell people, ‘if you’re not happy, then why are you doing it?,’’ Segeyaro said. “And that’s what this is about, being happy.’’

Contracted to Leeds for 2017, Segeyaro informed Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington, who is currently in Australia, last Wednesday of his reluctance to return and continue playing in the UK and for the club which he joined after being released from Penrith last June.

“I couldn’t thank Gary enough, the coaching staff and the players for accepting me the way they did,’’ Segeyaro said. “The fans made playing there, great.

“And my time there, although it was only eight weeks, helped me to mature as a person and be independent.

“But it’s hard when it’s just you eating dinner by yourself within four walls, especially the type of person I am.

“You start missing home, you look on your phone and see your parents and friends, who I treat like family and you’re a million miles away.

“That’s probably when I started questioning; ‘why am I doing this?’

Born in Papua New Guinea, Segeyaro moved to Cairns with his mother at age seven.

A breakdown in his birth-parents marriage led him to living with the parents of his close mate, Trent Barnard.

Segeyaro now calls Susan and Dean Barnard, his mum and dad.

243d009b9399364ea6ff809a6e80e515

James Segeyaro with his ‘family’ (L-R) Dean, Susan, Taylor and Trent Barnard.
“I’ve never been further than a quick flight home to mum and dad ... and here I was living in a different country,’’ Segeyaro said.

“The last two weeks I spent over there I tried hard to get into the English culture as I was really struggling.

“But I’m from North Queensland and I was born to go outside all the time. I fish, swim, go camping, all my childhood was outside.

“I’m a person who likes to do a lot of things, be outside and active.

“I was trying to do that over in England, but it’s not me. Mentally, I wasn’t happy ... I found myself so lonely.

“I needed my friends and my family who are number one. Anyone that knows my story, knows how close my family and friends are to me.

“I missed them so much. I missed my friends and in the last two weeks, I was so homesick.

“As soon as I got home, it was like a relief. I was so happy.

“Everyone is different and for me, I didn’t realise how much I needed my friends and family until I didn’t have that.’’

Close mates with Cronulla Sharks vice-captain Wade Graham, Segeyaro has been heavily linked with the premiers as an able replacement for retired hooker Michael Ennis.

“I haven’t talked with any Clubs nor have I signed with anyone, how can I anyway? I need to sort out this matter,’’ Segeyaro said.

“I wouldn’t say I was pressured into taking up an option to re-sign with Leeds, but I certainly didn’t have the support network I lean on when I make key life decisions.

“I told them (Leeds) I can’t make the decision to take up the option (to remain with the club until the end of 2017) without sitting down with my family.

“But we had a deadline and I had to make a decision. That’s what I’ve explained to Gary throughout this period.

“I want to get on with my life and unfortunately, that doesn’t include going back to the UK. I just can’t do it

“I have a clothing label business that I am working on and I’m focused on my business studies. My dream is to open a cafe in Cairns, sometime in the future.

“I’m due back with Leeds on January 3, but honestly I’m not even looking that far ahead, I’m just taking each day as it comes.’’
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/6d5641453dc8a901f0cadd50416950bd

bluefox1968

Juniors
Okay - so his dream is to open a cafe in Cairns - all good, but just play for Sharks and take a trip home every couple of weeks...!

Arnold

Juniors
“I want to get on with my life and unfortunately, that doesn’t include going back to the UK. I just can’t do it"

That's the end of that.

taipan

Referee
To make James feel at home like Cairns,I'd throw a couple of salt water crocs in the mangroves near the league's club.Bring in a dozen or so coconut palms ,.to stretch along between Nth Cronulla and Wanda.Global warming should ensure a coral reef growing near Shark Island.Plenty of Red Emperor,Coral Trout and Sweetlip fish would abound.
Cronulla the new tropics.

Arnold

Juniors
He would be a welcome addition but everyone might want to approach this acquisition with some barba/carney type caution.

Special K

Coach
LEEDS chief executive Gary Hetherington has told hooker James Segeyaro he will not be granted his wish of an early release from his contract.

The 26-year-old made a big impact at the Rhinos after joining them, initially on loan, from NRL club Penrith in July, helping them win nine of their last 10 matches of the season to comfortably retain their Super League status.

Segeyaro officially took up a two-year contract in September, removing a get-out clause at the same time, but has stated his desire to remain in Australia, where he is enjoying an extended off-season break.

“I wouldn’t say I was pressured into taking up an option to re-sign with Leeds, but I certainly didn’t have the support network I lean on when I make key life decisions,” Segeyaro was quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph.

“I told them I can’t make the decision to take up the option without sitting down with my family.

“But we had a deadline and I had to make a decision. That’s what I’ve explained to Gary throughout this period.

“I want to get on with my life and unfortunately that doesn’t include going back to the UK. I just can’t do it.”

73be5c490fb2264a54bb814ba361254f

James Segeyaro playing for Penrith.Source:News Corp Australia

But Hetherington has reiterated the club’s stance that Segeyaro, who has been heavily linked with a move to NRL premiers Cronulla, is not for sale.

“The comments attributed to James have obviously come as a big disappointment and a surprise following my meeting with him and his manager Sam Ayoub last Wednesday,” said Hetherington.

“When speculation first broke regarding Cronulla and their interest in James, I alerted both the RFL and NRL chief executives to the issue and the NRL confirmed a player cannot be registered with an NRL club whilst his registration sits with a Super League club, and in James’ case he is registered with us and the RFL until the end of 2018.

“Interest in him from other NRL clubs has been reported but they know he is not for sale. However I have no doubt this has become a key issue.

“The integrity of our game is now on the line and I hope to have further discussions with senior officials from the RFL and NRL at the earliest opportunity.”

Segeyaro is due back at Headingley in early January ahead of the start of the Super League season the following month.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/le...e/news-story/10e97065b48097fe6b41a71829e739f9

Quigs

Immortal
Stale Seggisao's all round I reckon.

Hope it works out well for the Premiers.

By the way have we got a spare NRL sanctioned lifeline for Sammy when and if he gets back from Fiji?

shaggs

Coach
They will do a deal and he will be training with us after Xmas I predict.

In the mean time he will just do his own training like he would have done anyway. Just this time it will be with a whole stack of sharks

Latest posts