What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2017

Vic Mackey

Referee
Maloney/Renoylds/Pearce say hi :)

And like Vic said there is only 1 half on there and he's only played half a season In nrl...not to mention these are pretty much fringe origin players

So is it saying we are short on depth or

it seems odd that really we've matched QLD everywhere the last 10 years except in the halves. they then go and pick a 13 man squad yet only pick 1 half. nothing against Clearly as he was fanastic in his debut year and deserves the spot. however surely you would pick guys in the most important position on the field. As Bobby said Austin should have been there. Even then guys like Sezer, Keary, Moses, Matterson etc should have been considered.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ima say no to Cleary as well atm. He's defo the future but that's in like 2-3 years. Next year I'd be happy will Maloney and Moylan.

The media etc gave moylan a bit of a bad wrap after 3 IMO. I actually thought he was great, particularly for his first game at 5/8. His defence was better then expected (I know he got run over for Coopers try but the JT/Cooper combo is probably the way in the league) and he set up the Ferguson break for the winning try. Unless someone else jumps out of the blocks he'd be my 6 for game 1

The media etc gave moylan a bit of a bad wrap after 3 IMO. I actually thought he was great, particularly for his first game at 5/8. His defence was better then expected (I know he got run over for Coopers try but the JT/Cooper combo is probably the way in the league) and he set up the Ferguson break for the winning try. Unless someone else jumps out of the blocks he'd be my 6 for game 1

I don't care if someone else jumped out for the 6, he'd be my 6 regardless.

MF88

Juniors
What has James Roberts done in the last year to deserve being picked?

And tbh, Austin deserves to be there the most, and we all know that.
Roberts has never done anything to warrant the constant praise. I said this at the start of the year when commentators were acting like Brisbane had just signed Jamie Lyon in his prime. The guy is fast, big deal. He's one-dimensional. He isn't a great link player or consistent creator for his outside man. Nor does he offer an overly dangerous running game. It's only in already existing space that Roberts excels because of his speed.

And given that space in Origin is much harder to find than at club level, he shouldn't even be in contention for a NSW jersey.

Canberra’s Blake Austin ready to prove himself again in the hunt for an Origin spot
December 11, 2016 5:24pm
Paul Crawley

HE is the forgotten man of the NSW halves debate but Blake Austin has challenged himself to prove he deserves a shot at higher representative honours in 2017.

Despite the Raiders falling just one game short of the grand final, neither Austin or his Canberra halves partner Aidan Sezer were named in Laurie Daley’s Emerging Blues squad last week.

At 25, both Austin and Sezer are the same age as Raiders teammate Joey Leilua who was part of the 13-man emerging squad.

So far Austin and Sezer’s representative experience is limited to one game each for City.

With Penrith fullback Matt Moylan playing out of position as NSW five-eighth last year and James Maloney at halfback, other contenders being thrown into the Blues halves debate include Adam Reynolds, Mitchell Pearce and Mitchell Moses, while 19-year-old Nathan Cleary was also picked in the emerging squad.

Austin admitted proving himself as one of the game’s premier halves was a motivation for 2017.

“Definitely,” he said.Paulo wants rematch with Gallen

SWITCH: Titans want Roosters centre

“It was super frustrating. I really raced the clock just to be ready for round one.

“Then I came back and I did my knee in round one and my hammy two weeks after that.

“Then I got a few games together and did the hand.

“It was frustrating but I am pretty confident my fitness levels had a little bit to do with some of them injuries.

“There is no doubt that when I am my fittest and my strongest I have had less injuries and play better footy.

“I was pretty keen to get back and rip in this year and really lay the foundations.

“Aided is training every bit as hard as I am.

“I think for us to be successful we are going to have to go to another level again.

“We had a bit of a turning point midway through the year and tweaked a couple of things that really suited me and Aidan.”

Austin also has no doubt the Raiders will gain great confidence from their stunning late-season charge.

Canberra scored 118 tries during the regular season with their closest rival Cronulla with 99.

While their defence, ranked seventh this past season, was criticised for a team that finished second, the Raiders had the fourth-best record at the back end of 2016.

“We are all pretty young and sort of on the same level,” Austin said.

“We have all signed on for a few years which allows us to grow together and hopefully we can go one better.

“We are heading in really confident about what we can achieve.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/30ee83c163871774a4eab97e8b82f83a

Determination.

MKCS

Juniors
Here is what I'd go with at the start of this season. Obviously form, injuries and anything else could change it but right now I think this team could give Queensland a run for their money:

1. Jarryd Hayne (Moylan and Tedesco are close seconds but Hayne is the best fullback NSW has, a great attacking weapon, solid in defence and with 20 Origin matches he brings tons of experience which NSW will need)

2. Blake Ferguson (Roosters are looking better this year, Ferguson was voted Australia's best in the Four Nations and will most likely play on the right for Australia. If he's healthy he should definitely be here)

3. Josh Dugan (Does a solid job in defence and is a good attacker. Him and Ferguson are a good combination on the right and I would trust them to stop Inglis)

4. Dylan Walker/Michael Jennings (If he's in any kind of form I'd go with Jennings but Walker wasn't terrible last year except for Game 1 so he might be worth putting here if he's in good form and Jennings is not. Ultimately I'd like to see someone rise up and really put their hand up for this position)

5. Josh Mansour (He's the best left winger we have. If he's healthy he should make it)

6. James Maloney (Was good last year and has now won a Grand Final as well. Easily the best number six that NSW has and his exceptional goal kicking is a big help)

7. Mitchell Pearce (To me it's between Pearce and Reynolds but with Reynolds being quite injury prone and Pearce playing really well last year I think he'd be my first choice currently. I don't think I'd throw another rookie in there so for me it's between those two)

8. Aaron Woods (C) (Simple. Best prop in New South Wales currently and gets the number 8 jersey because of that. He gets the captaincy because he's experienced and is a good leader.)

9. Nathan Peats (Robbie Farah is old and doesn't offer much anymore. In a poor Souths side he won't stand out or be in good form so give Peats a run. He probably should have made the team last year, offers solid defence and some decent attack. Don't think he's a gamewinner but definitely won't let anyone down)

10. Andrew Fifita (Runs hard, has experience at this level and he's got the type of personality where he'd want to smash Queensland early on. He gets the nod here for me)

11. Boyd Cordner (Best second rower that New South Wales has got. Easy selection)

12. Wade Graham (Gets the nod to start over Tyson Frizell simply because I think Friz is better off the bench. Graham was impressive in the game he played last year and with a grand final win under his belt he's earned vital big game experience)

13. Trent Merrin (Comes in and replaces Gallen. He's a good lock and could play a solid sixty minutes whilst remaining reliable and challenging the line.)

14. David Klemmer (Hates Queensland and runs hard. After 20-25 minutes with tired forwards he's a dangerous player)

15. Shannon Boyd/James Tamou (Whichever is in better form gets the nod here. I'd prefer Tamou because he has experience but Boyd was quite impressive in the Four Nations)

16. Tyson Frizell (Runs hard, offers a great offload and probably unlucky to miss out on a starting spot. I like how he plays though and think he deserves the spot)

17. Matt Moylan (Ideally I'd want a big ballplayer here but Moylan is probably our best attacking utility and I can't let his size get in the way. With twenty minutes left down by four I think there is nobody else from New South Wales that I'd want coming on then Matt Moylan. Jack Bird probably very unlucky to miss out on this spot but I think Moylan is a better attacker)

---

So that's it. Only 2 debutants so everyone has experience, big forwards, big bench, we'd still lose to Queensland in the spine but I think our forwards and backs are much better on paper.

Clifferd

Coach
Let's blood a whole lot of youth in last years series and then drop them the following year for players who have failed to get the job done for numerous years

Can't see Bird, Tedesco, Mansour (provided he's fit and firing) missing out ill put my house on it. Plus there will probably be another debut chucked in there somewhere maybe turbo tom

MKCS

Juniors
Let's blood a whole lot of youth in last years series and then drop them the following year for players who have failed to get the job done for numerous years

Can't see Bird, Tedesco, Mansour (provided he's fit and firing) missing out ill put my house on it. Plus there will probably be another debut chucked in there somewhere maybe turbo tom

This was before Hayne came back mate. If he wasn't there I'd have Tedesco at 1 and Moylan coming off the bench but Hayne is a superstar and putting him anywhere but at fullback would be silly.

Jack Bird was hard to leave out. Could see him maybe getting a centre slot if he can play on the left or the utility slot but I think I'd rather Moylan.

Clifferd

Coach
This was before Hayne came back mate. If he wasn't there I'd have Tedesco at 1 and Moylan coming off the bench but Hayne is a superstar and putting him anywhere but at fullback would be silly.

Jack Bird was hard to leave out. Could see him maybe getting a centre slot if he can play on the left or the utility slot but I think I'd rather Moylan.

Good point, but he isn't an automatic selection imo. If he shows he can get back to his best then pick him, if not then Teddy has it sealed.

Laurie said last year he's building for the future and with that being said Tedesco would probably be the favourite to retain

Here is what I'd go with at the start of this season. Obviously form, injuries and anything else could change it but right now I think this team could give Queensland a run for their money:

1. Jarryd Hayne (Moylan and Tedesco are close seconds but Hayne is the best fullback NSW has, a great attacking weapon, solid in defence and with 20 Origin matches he brings tons of experience which NSW will need)

2. Blake Ferguson (Roosters are looking better this year, Ferguson was voted Australia's best in the Four Nations and will most likely play on the right for Australia. If he's healthy he should definitely be here)

3. Josh Dugan (Does a solid job in defence and is a good attacker. Him and Ferguson are a good combination on the right and I would trust them to stop Inglis)

4. Dylan Walker/Michael Jennings (If he's in any kind of form I'd go with Jennings but Walker wasn't terrible last year except for Game 1 so he might be worth putting here if he's in good form and Jennings is not. Ultimately I'd like to see someone rise up and really put their hand up for this position)

5. Josh Mansour (He's the best left winger we have. If he's healthy he should make it)

6. James Maloney (Was good last year and has now won a Grand Final as well. Easily the best number six that NSW has and his exceptional goal kicking is a big help)

7. Mitchell Pearce (To me it's between Pearce and Reynolds but with Reynolds being quite injury prone and Pearce playing really well last year I think he'd be my first choice currently. I don't think I'd throw another rookie in there so for me it's between those two)

8. Aaron Woods (C) (Simple. Best prop in New South Wales currently and gets the number 8 jersey because of that. He gets the captaincy because he's experienced and is a good leader.)

9. Nathan Peats (Robbie Farah is old and doesn't offer much anymore. In a poor Souths side he won't stand out or be in good form so give Peats a run. He probably should have made the team last year, offers solid defence and some decent attack. Don't think he's a gamewinner but definitely won't let anyone down)

10. Andrew Fifita (Runs hard, has experience at this level and he's got the type of personality where he'd want to smash Queensland early on. He gets the nod here for me)

11. Boyd Cordner (Best second rower that New South Wales has got. Easy selection)

12. Wade Graham (Gets the nod to start over Tyson Frizell simply because I think Friz is better off the bench. Graham was impressive in the game he played last year and with a grand final win under his belt he's earned vital big game experience)

13. Trent Merrin (Comes in and replaces Gallen. He's a good lock and could play a solid sixty minutes whilst remaining reliable and challenging the line.)

14. David Klemmer (Hates Queensland and runs hard. After 20-25 minutes with tired forwards he's a dangerous player)

15. Shannon Boyd/James Tamou (Whichever is in better form gets the nod here. I'd prefer Tamou because he has experience but Boyd was quite impressive in the Four Nations)

16. Tyson Frizell (Runs hard, offers a great offload and probably unlucky to miss out on a starting spot. I like how he plays though and think he deserves the spot)

17. Matt Moylan (Ideally I'd want a big ballplayer here but Moylan is probably our best attacking utility and I can't let his size get in the way. With twenty minutes left down by four I think there is nobody else from New South Wales that I'd want coming on then Matt Moylan. Jack Bird probably very unlucky to miss out on this spot but I think Moylan is a better attacker)

---

So that's it. Only 2 debutants so everyone has experience, big forwards, big bench, we'd still lose to Queensland in the spine but I think our forwards and backs are much better on paper.

pearce can f**k off. Never again should that f**kwit come near an origin jersey.

MKCS

Juniors
Good point, but he isn't an automatic selection imo. If he shows he can get back to his best then pick him, if not then Teddy has it sealed.

Laurie said last year he's building for the future and with that being said Tedesco would probably be the favourite to retain

I agree, he has to earn it and be motivated or I'd rather Tedesco. At 29 I'd say Hayne would have 3-4 Origins left in him so it's not like he's the past.

It'll be an interesting battle. Hayne, Moylan and Tedesco all fighting for that number 1 jersey.

1. James Tedesco
2. Tom Trbojevic
3. Blake Ferguson
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Josh Mansour (if he recovers in time)
6. Matt Moylan
7. James Maloney
8. Aaron Woods
9. Peter Wallace
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Tyson Frizzell
13. Trent Merrin

14. Jack Bird
15. Wade Graham
16. Junior Paulo
17. David Klemmer

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Maybe something like this:

1. Tedesco
2. Morris/Dugan
3. Bird
4. Ferguson
5. Mansour

6. Hayne
7. Maloney

8. Woods
9. Peats
10. Fifita
11. Frizell
12. Cordner
13. Graham

14. Klemmer
15. Tamou
16. Merrin
17. Moylan

I like the idea of Hayne getting the ball as often as possible, and I like the idea of a big 5/8 in the line a la Fittler. He plays a lot like a 5/8 and if it means getting Tedesco in the side...

chrisD

Coach
1. Teddy
6. Moylan
7. Maloney
9. Pearce

Jennings, Radradra.

Bird and in the absence of Mansour, Hayne.

Graham, Cordner, Frizell and Lewis.

Fifita, Merrin, Woods, Klemmer and I dunno. James, Latu, Paulo, not Tamou atm.

1. Teddy
6. Moylan
7. Maloney
9. Pearce

Jennings, Radradra.

Bird and in the absence of Mansour, Hayne.

Graham, Cordner, Frizell and Lewis.

Fifita, Merrin, Woods, Klemmer and I dunno. James, Latu, Paulo, not Tamou atm.

If he was eligible, he would have been in the team last year and the year before as one of the first players picked.

Thought the result of all that was he was. Dugan then. Ferguson is a centre.

Ferguson was the player of the tournament for the Kangaroos on the wing last year. I'm still not sold on him being a winger but I'm 100% sure he's more of a winger then Dugan. Dugan is a fullback and very good one.