What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English lower leagues

Teddyboy

First Grade
York apparently played with 12. Didnt bother fielding a full squad after getting told they won't get promoted even if they win the comp. Got flogged. What a ridiculous situation.

So this weekend we have
Hull KR v Salford in the Million Pound Game, one to go down with Leigh already going up to Super League.
Toulouse v Barrow for Championship promotion, with Rochdale already going up.

Bradford are heavy favourites playing Sheffield for the Championship Shield.

Newcastle claimed the League1 Shield over North Wales Crusaders a couple of weeks back.
I really hope Hull KR win as at least they bring crowds to there ground unlike Salford and even like to see Featherstone in the SL as there crowds have been good.

langpark

First Grade
I really hope Hull KR win as at least they bring crowds to there ground unlike Salford and even like to see Featherstone in the SL as there crowds have been good.
The bustling metropolis of Featherstone?? ooh I can't wait 'til Evil Homer reads that one! hehe.

deluded pom?

Coach
Come on Salford. But of intrigue with the MPG. Tim Sheens is off to the Dobbins next year and has been stood down for this game. I wonder if he's already been in the ears of any Salford players about moving to Caravan Park with him?

Koukash's plan
More on the rumour mill as Marwan Koukash's future at Salford comes into question. The latest info we have is that if the Red Devils lose the Million Pound game, and go down, then the good Doctor will stay, as he doesn't want to leave the club in the lurch. But if they beat Hull KR on Saturday and secure theirSuper League status for 2017, Koukash is off and won't own the club any longer.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_23675-off-the-record-rugby-league-rumour-and-gossip-55.html

langpark

First Grade
Koukash's plan
More on the rumour mill as Marwan Koukash's future at Salford comes into question. The latest info we have is that if the Red Devils lose the Million Pound game, and go down, then the good Doctor will stay, as he doesn't want to leave the club in the lurch. But if they beat Hull KR on Saturday and secure theirSuper League status for 2017, Koukash is off and won't own the club any longer.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_23675-off-the-record-rugby-league-rumour-and-gossip-55.html

I'm usually his #1 critic, but I have to say, that's pretty admirable!

The Partisan

Hi guys, quick question after getting a bit lost with all promotion / relegation stuff.

Who actually won the crown for Championship and Championship 1 ? And who did they play in the GF ?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hi guys, quick question after getting a bit lost with all promotion / relegation stuff.

Who actually won the crown for Championship and Championship 1 ? And who did they play in the GF ?
Toulouse topped the League 1 table at the end of the season but lost the promotion final to Rochdale. Both Toulouse and Rochdale could claim to be champions depending on whether you class the promotion final as the League 1 GF or just an additional match to determine who gets promotion, I don't think it has ever really been clarified which is correct but most would consider Rochdale to be champions and Toulouse runners-up. Toulouse also later won the second promotion place via the play-offs.

Leigh won the Championship by virtue of finishing top of the table at the end of the regular season, there is no Grand Final as teams go straight into the Super 8s phase. Bradford won the Championship Shield by beating Sheffield in the final, which was the competition for the Championship clubs that weren't involved in the Middle 8's.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Rochdale are the League 1 Champions. It was mentioned as so when they defeated Toulouse to win the promotion final. It's their unofficial playoff with the aim that team 2 can be promoted via the playoffs as well, but, that fell apart when Toulouse choked and had to get promoted the hard way.

Lambretta

First Grade
Any further news on Hemel Hempstead? My family are from Hertfordshire and I had relatives living in Hemel for years. Would be nice if they could sort their shit out and stay local

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hearing that Coventry Bears season ticket sales have increased by 250% for next year on the back of the 4N match played there.
Any further news on Hemel Hempstead? My family are from Hertfordshire and I had relatives living in Hemel for years. Would be nice if they could sort their shit out and stay local
Still going ahead with what they were planning AFAIK.

bowes

Juniors
The RFL have abolished the Conference League South which now means the end of all meaningful amateur open age development south of Sheffield and nowhere for reserve teams of southern professional clubs to play. This latter factor is part of why one of the major backers of Gloucestershire All Golds has pulled out, this is after the RFL ejected All Golds' U19s and U16s from the academy set up a couple of years ago

http://www.totalrl.com/goodbye-conference-league-south/

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The RFL have abolished the Conference League South which now means the end of all meaningful amateur open age development south of Sheffield and nowhere for reserve teams of southern professional clubs to play. This latter factor is part of why one of the major backers of Gloucestershire All Golds has pulled out, this is after the RFL ejected All Golds' U19s and U16s from the academy set up a couple of years ago

http://www.totalrl.com/goodbye-conference-league-south/

On the one hand disappointing to see another cut by the RFL they seem all to willimg to swing the axe to save a few pound rather than invest for growth. but if the players are unhappy with travel at amateur level there isn't much anyone can do but allow the regional leagues to supersede CLS. might actually boost senior playing stocks in each of the leagues if players are attracted by the shorter distances involved.

Correct me if I am wrong but are the current senior leagues in the south- London and SE, south West, Midlands and welsh conference. It would be good to see some form of knockout cup for these leagues in the absence of CSL

Last edited:
I don't really see why a comp like that can't go ahead wothout the rfl backing it. But if it can't it's another example of the rfl being highly incompetent, just like the NRL. The two biggest RL organisations in the world and neither are growing or developing the sport in any real way whatsoever.

bowes

Juniors
On the one hand disappointing to see another cut by the RFL they seem all to willimg to swing the axe to save a few pound rather than invest for growth. but if the players are unhappy with travel at amateur level there isn't much anyone can do but allow the regional leagues to supersede CLS. might actually boost senior playing stocks in each of the leagues if players are attracted by the shorter distances involved.

Correct me if I am wrong but are the current senior leagues in the south- London and SE, south West, Midlands and welsh conference. It would be good to see some form of knockout cup for these leagues in the absence of CSL
What you suggest probably would work in Wales but it would be a disaster in England as the old RLC Premier divisions have largely disappeared. Currently the regional leagues are split as follows:

North Midlands
South Midlands
East
London & South East
West Pool 1
West Pool 2
South West

The standards drop from CLS is gigantic. In fact both London Chargers and Nottingham Outlaws would be forced into the division their reserve teams finished mid table in and would rack up 50-100 point wins in a lot of games. Also the regional leagues have only played short seasons for 20 years so there won't be any efforts to expand the season length. Too many clubs only want to be a keep fit for RU players

CC_Roosters

First Grade
What you suggest probably would work in Wales but it would be a disaster in England as the old RLC Premier divisions have largely disappeared. Currently the regional leagues are split as follows:

North Midlands
South Midlands
East
London & South East
West Pool 1
West Pool 2
South West

The standards drop from CLS is gigantic. In fact both London Chargers and Nottingham Outlaws would be forced into the division their reserve teams finished mid table in and would rack up 50-100 point wins in a lot of games. Also the regional leagues have only played short seasons for 20 years so there won't be any efforts to expand the season length. Too many clubs only want to be a keep fit for RU players

Why dud they ever get rid of the old RLC structure? seems to me it's all just ad hoc by region now, surely it wouldn't be too expensive to re implement a a pyramid at this level like the RLC

Latest posts