What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

veganism - your thoughts?

undertaker

Coach
Ok, this is one of those controversial topics that invokes a large range of opinions, especially in the nutrition/diet community. I will try to keep this introductory post short as possible. I just want to start off by saying that if you are someone who has been a vegan for many years, regardless of whatever reason, I respect your decision and lifestyle choices.

Although I'm not and have never been a vegan, I did grow up predominantly ovo-lacto vegetarian at home (occasionally eating fish) until I started high school (when I ate chicken/beef/lamb on rare occasions eating out), and then ate meat more regularly when I was doing my masters degree at university a few years ago, which coincided with regularly cooking at home for the first time in my life, one of the best decisions I've ever made. Although I am what would be classified as a Low-Carber (albeit after many hours over the past 4 years researching all the data, scientific experiments, evidence, studies, medical trials etc.), I don't specifically subscribe to a particular form, such as Paleo, Primal, Weston A Price, GAPS, Atkins, Wheat Belly diet and the myriads of other types.

However, when I read articles such as these - which reminds me of Freelee the Banana Girl and Durianrider on YouTube, and other prominent people in the vegan community such as Dr John MacDougall/Dean Ornish/T. Colin Campbell of The China Study/Caldwell Esselytn - I shake my head:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/d6fc97cfb4cf868ea062d6dc37782a5d

Here, veganism has within and of itself, become a religion on its own. I don't know if its just me, but I have found from my experience, it's always a one-way street when you talk to them. In other words, they expect others to kowtow and bend to their demands at an instant, their mind is always fixated on what they want to believe as the facts, but when you show them evidence from clinical trials and experiments which contradict their claims, they don't want to have a bar of it and will refuse to talk to you. They've completely shut off their mind to any opposing view points.

Another interesting point is that I've never personally met nor known a vegan who was a happy person. They always have this angry, hateful disposition about them. It's like the vegan diet itself is the centre of their life and controls every aspect.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this issue.

Last edited:

shaggs

Coach
Do whatever suits you, as long as no one gets hurt in the process.

I don't give a shit if you are vegan or paleo or go to church 7 days a week. Just don't tell all about it. I could not care less. The most annoying part of any fanatic is the preaching and attempting conversion.

Find out what works for you. If your gut and joints work better on a low carb meat free diet then great. If tomatoes flare you up, then don't eat em. It's simple really.
Same as if you are a meat and no veg man. Don't start being a dick trying to convince a vego/an to eat meat.

Shut the f**k up and do you.

alien

Referee
Ok, this is one of those controversial topics that invokes a large range of opinions, especially in the nutrition/diet community. I will try to keep this introductory post short as possible. I just want to start off by saying that if you are someone who has been a vegan for many years, regardless of whatever reason, I respect your decision and lifestyle choices.

Although I'm not and have never been a vegan, I did grow up predominantly ovo-lacto vegetarian at home (occasionally eating fish) until I started high school (when I ate chicken/beef/lamb on rare occasions eating out), and then ate meat more regularly when I was doing my masters degree at university a few years ago, which coincided with regularly cooking at home for the first time in my life, one of the best decisions I've ever made. Although I am what would be classified as a Low-Carber (albeit after many hours over the past 4 years researching all the data, scientific experiments, evidence, studies, medical trials etc.), I don't specifically subscribe to a particular form, such as Paleo, Primal, Weston A Price, GAPS, Atkins, Wheat Belly diet and the myriads of other types.

However, when I read articles such as these - which reminds me of Freelee the Banana Girl and Durianrider on YouTube, and other prominent people in the vegan community such as Dr John MacDougall/Dean Ornish/T. Colin Campbell of The China Study/Caldwell Esselytn - I shake my head:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/d6fc97cfb4cf868ea062d6dc37782a5d

Here, veganism has within and of itself, become a religion on its own. I don't know if its just me, but I have found from my experience, it's always a one-way street when you talk to them. In other words, they expect others to kowtow and bend to their demands at an instant, their mind is always fixated on what they want to believe as the facts, but when you show them evidence from clinical trials and experiments which contradict their claims, they don't want to have a bar of it and will refuse to talk to you. They've completely shut off their mind to any opposing view points.

Another interesting point is that I've never personally met nor known a vegan who was a happy person. They always have this angry, hateful disposition about them. It's like the vegan diet itself is the centre of their life and controls every aspect.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this issue.

I know some vegans and they aren't all angry and hateful, but I agree that some will push their beliefs on people. I'm not against killing animals for food, but I have seen videos of how some animals are treated before death, or how they are killed slowly, and it's not nice, so I do respect vegans who are against that. You spoke of DurianRider who I know. He used to live in Parramatta. A lot of people hate him with a passion (even a lot of vegans), and they call him an arsehole, and maybe he is an arsehole at times, but I would say he is mostly a blunt straight shooter who doesn't have time for bullshit, and he actually is trying to do good.

alien

Referee
Lol, I just found this on his YouTube channel. DurianRider (Harley) is still a funny merkin.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm partial to a slow cooked baby dolphin myself.
the slow cooker ruins the flavour.. gotta eat that stuff raw.. sashimi style (even though it's a mammal..)

ideally the younger the better..

shaggs

Coach
the slow cooker ruins the flavour.. gotta eat that stuff raw.. sashimi style (even though it's a mammal..)

ideally the younger the better..
Yeah you are right. Slow cooked meat of any kind is pretty shit.

Almost got divorced for real because I tried to eat turtle one time.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah you are right. Slow cooked meat of any kind is pretty shit.

Almost got divorced for real because I tried to eat turtle one time.
i hope it was charles darwin's old galapagos one..

i've always wanted to eat something that was older than i was.. and to eat something that was over 100 years older than i was would be just awesome..

Vic Mackey

Referee
im vegetarian, probably a bit different to others as ive been it my whole life. both my parents were so ive literally never had meat. i dont do it for any morale reason so ive never pushed it on anyone. its more habit for me now and ive told i would get quiet sick if i was to start eating it after all these years.

i used to struggle for protein and iron and was around 60kgs when i was 19/20. i educated myself on it and started eating seafood, tofu, lentils, beans etc multiple times a day. plus plenty of protein shakes (all whilst begining at the gym). i put on 10kgs fairly rapidly however could not put anymore weight on for years and years. these days im in my mid 30s and fluctuate between 73-77kgs, my body fat can be anywhere between 9-17% depending on how much ive been able to excerise/train as i work 6 days a week and long hours.

on the health side i never get sick, and i mean NEVER. ive had 2 sick days in 15 years of employment. ive never had issues with mental health and generally have lots of energy. keep in mind i have always been a pretty fit guy which im sure has a lot to do with it too.

my mrs eats meat and it doesnt bother me to cook meat in the same pan, pot, tray etc as my food. i know some vegos are really anal with this.

gotta say whilst i enjoy being vegetarian i dont know how people could go vegan, it would be incredibly difficult imo.

alien

Referee
im vegetarian, probably a bit different to others as ive been it my whole life. both my parents were so ive literally never had meat. i dont do it for any morale reason so ive never pushed it on anyone. its more habit for me now and ive told i would get quiet sick if i was to start eating it after all these years.

i used to struggle for protein and iron and was around 60kgs when i was 19/20. i educated myself on it and started eating seafood, tofu, lentils, beans etc multiple times a day. plus plenty of protein shakes (all whilst begining at the gym). i put on 10kgs fairly rapidly however could not put anymore weight on for years and years. these days im in my mid 30s and fluctuate between 73-77kgs, my body fat can be anywhere between 9-17% depending on how much ive been able to excerise/train as i work 6 days a week and long hours.

on the health side i never get sick, and i mean NEVER. ive had 2 sick days in 15 years of employment. ive never had issues with mental health and generally have lots of energy. keep in mind i have always been a pretty fit guy which im sure has a lot to do with it too.

my mrs eats meat and it doesnt bother me to cook meat in the same pan, pot, tray etc as my food. i know some vegos are really anal with this.

gotta say whilst i enjoy being vegetarian i dont know how people could go vegan, it would be incredibly difficult imo.

i'm not trying to be a smartarse or anything, but if you eat sea food, doesn't that mean you're not really a vegetarian?

Vic Mackey

Referee
i'm not trying to be a smartarse or anything, but if you eat sea food, doesn't that mean you're not really a vegetarian?

Could be, I don't know the exact definition. Like I said for me it's not a morale thing so I'm not really bothered.

alien

Referee
Could be, I don't know the exact definition. Like I said for me it's not a morale thing so I'm not really bothered.

I think there are different definitions because someone told me they were a vegetarian, but then she ate chicken o_O

Lambretta

First Grade
I never really understood the logic behind veganism
Not eating milk or cheese? Dairy animals are very decently treated and have good lives
If it weren't for farming no one would want them and they'd all be killed - so deciding to avoid those products seemed counter productive if you like animals

I understand not wanting to eat meat - but not wanting to drink milk? Weird.

As for vegetarianism - I like the idea tbh. To get a decent range of protein, calcium, iron, vitamins etc you have to vary your diet and add in a lot more variety than meat eaters would normally do. Variety in my opinion is a good thing. I am quiet happy not eating meat and having lentils and vegetables etc.

I won't eat veal (if you ever saw it farmed in Europe you'd know why) nor can I stomach the thought of eating eggs from battery chickens. Battery farms are f**king putrid. There is no reason to treat animals with such utter disdain for their existence. I am happy to pay more to have healthy eggs from animals which have been well treated. The eggs taste better for a start.

In the UK a battery farm sells chickens who are past their useful egg laying days. In battery farms this is about two years old. They sell chickens at 1 pound per chook. My dads friend has acreage so he goes and buys a half dozen of these animals. They have no feathers and can't walk or stand up - having been cooped up in cages their whole lives unable to even move. He throws them in a pen and literally cakes the floor in bird seed. He puts water next to them and then just leaves them popping back every day or so to re-fill the food.

A few weeks later the birds have plumage, can walk around and happily start laying eggs again

A couple of quid invested and free eggs. The buggers lay so many he just gives them away to family, friends whoever. Free eggs all round. Hooray.

Battery egg farmers are merkins

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Lambretta, you may want to update your knowledge of the dairy industry. It ain't as pleasant as you imagine & a lot of mother cows lose their young (many slaughtered) just so they can remain in a state of producing milk (an unnatural length of time).