What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport Accord recognition

Knownothing

Juniors
More amunition for RU to stifle RL

There's a very simple solution. The thing about competitiveness is that when there are two products claiming the same name, the larger and wealthier usually does everything they can to keep the competition at bay.

Neither sport is a charity, they are both in competition for similar players, sponsors and supporters.

Competitiveness might not be fair, but then life is not fair when you boil it right down. And there is a solution, as I said earlier.

taipan

Referee
More amunition for RU to stifle RL

Every occasion there is a delay or knock back for rl expansion.Union comes up with the Manuel alibi" I know nothing."

Now if it smells like a barrier, sounds like a knockback and reeks of a hateful competitor, then it's union somewhere behind the haze.
It's just too convenient for these delays ,in my book.Similarly to what is happening in South Africa.We have rugby in our name, therefore there is only one rugby.

There is a distinction between competition in the market place,as long as there is no advantage gained through coercion ,and illegal practices such as impediments.
It's like Woolworth,Coles against the small independent grocers.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Update thanks to Steve Mascord. He recently had an interview with RLIF chief David Collier.
http://www.rugbyleaguehub.com/?p=173691

We expected Sport Accord recognition last April, then last month, and still nothing. What are the delays and when will it happen?
DC: “Sport Accord elected a new president Patrick Baumann at the April 2016 Congress. Patrick and his council have reviewed all the internal SA processes for election of Members and realised that this could only be achieved at Congress which is in Aarhus, Denmark in May 2017. To ensure that RLIF does not receive further frustrations regarding the application, which was deemed compliant by Sport Accord prior to the 2016 Congress, a Membership Evaluation Group has been formed by Patrick Baumann who will recommend members for election to the Council . That group expect to make their recommendation in first quarter 2017 for election in May.”

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So they delay until November and then suddenly realized November isnt an option. Who ever saw that one coming...

I wonder what the excuse will be next May

taipan

Referee
It's called keep stalling and postponing, they'll soon get tired of applying.

I smell a leather patch around the corner.

siv

First Grade
Maybe it might be time to get Russell Crowe and the world media to help get RL recognised within the the Sports Accord

adamkungl

Immortal
Bump

Perhaps this is why RL hasn't been given recognition:
http://www.sportaccord.com/upload/Sportaccord Statutes 2017 ENG.PDF

'a written declaration justifying that the sport or activity which they control does not conflict with or is not in rivalry with an already existing Member of GAISF'

Seems like a rule to deliberately f**k us lol. Even if RL takes no antagonistic actions towards RU ever, RU can point to various acts it has and continues to do that show there is a rivalry.

'a written declaration justifying that the IF is the only federation governing its sport on a world level. Provide, if any, the name of dissident organisations and explain how and which solutions were arranged'

Oh look, just when there seems like hope of getting recognition, a new organisation run by spurned lovers with obvious links to Union pops up. f**k you WRL.

'a list of its Member National Federations (where applicable), grouped by continents, which must count: :black_small_square: for summer sports, at least 40 (forty) active Member Federations from at least 3 (three) continents; :black_small_square: for winter sports, at least 25 (twenty-five) active Member Federations from at least 2 (two) continents. Only those sports which are practised on snow and ice are considered as winter sports'

Rugby League does not have 40 active Member Federations. There are 42 total with some being obviously inactive (Morocco) and some being pretty dubious inclusions (Latvia, El Salvador). Pretty obvious the RLIF is trying to push the numbers up with lenient standards for observers.

There are other criteria that might also be dubious. Imo RL is a long way off gaining recognition.

Coastbloke

Bench
So, as an example. Motorsport?
Are all Motorsports recognised by Sport Accord as 1 sport?
If not, Do they allow differentation between F1 and Indy?
Could anyone not familiar with the 2 tell the difference?
Why?

adamkungl

Immortal
So, as an example. Motorsport?
Are all Motorsports recognised by Sport Accord as 1 sport?
If not, Do they allow differentation between F1 and Indy?
Could anyone not familiar with the 2 tell the difference?
Why?

The similarity is not the sticking point (eg. ice hockey and field hockey are both members) but the rivalry.
Seems like a very odd criteria to have as rule number f**king 1 dont you think?
It basically gives existing members sole veto power over anyone they think might encroach on their territory.

That World Rugby League organisation is the icing on the shit cake. If this gets resolved at the next meeting i'll be shocked.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
'a written declaration justifying that the sport or activity which they control does not conflict with or is not in rivalry with an already existing Member of GAISF'

Seems like a rule to deliberately f**k us lol. Even if RL takes no antagonistic actions towards RU ever, RU can point to various acts it has and continues to do that show there is a rivalry.

TBF, when you have the exact same name as to other code that you are apparently not in competition with, it would be pretty easy to claim conflict exists.

I can just imagine the Chairman of the RLIF turning up and facing this compaint. "Oh, we arent Rugby, we are Rugby. See the difference?"

adamkungl

Immortal
Yes of course, a name change would immediately resolve 100+ years of antagonism between codes and RU in various countries around the world would stop blocking us even though we still use the same ball and fields and concept.

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Latest posts