What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

adamkungl

Immortal
I mostly read fantasy, some sci-fi.
In the last couple of years i've read:

A Song of Ice and Fire
Wheel of Time
Hitchhikers Guide (3 from 5)
2001: Space Odyssey series
Feist- Magician/Riftwar trilogy
Dune
Stranger in a Strange Land
Robin Hobb- Farseer/Assassins trilogy + Liveship trilogy
Mark Lawrence- Broken Empire/Thorns series (2 out of 3)
first 3 or 4 Pratchett books
Name of the Wind + Wise Mans Fear
Sanderson- Elantris, Steelheart, Firefight

Currently re-reading Wheel of Time, on book 8, in between reading new stuff.

It's in the back of my mind to read something that doesn't involve dragons or spaceships but never really got round to it. Meanwhile my list of fantasy and sci fi is ever growing - via looking for genre classics, Hugo awards winners, and modern 'best of 2016' style lists.

As I get older I find myself being the kind of person who goes deeper into one niche than spreads myself over a breadth of genres - this also applies to my sport and music interest (almost exclusively Rugby League and metal).

elyod138

Bench
Currently on The Rise of Endymion, the fourth and last book in the Hyperion Cantos.

I didn't enjoy Endymion quite as much as the two Hyperion books but it was still a good read, I'm hoping it ends well.

gUt

Coach
Currently on The Rise of Endymion, the fourth and last book in the Hyperion Cantos.

I didn't enjoy Endymion quite as much as the two Hyperion books but it was still a good read, I'm hoping it ends well.

Thy are different stories (obviously) but once you get to the end I think you'll find it to be very satisfying.

I've interrupted a Martin Amis binge to get into the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I mostly read fantasy, some sci-fi.
In the last couple of years i've read:

A Song of Ice and Fire
Wheel of Time
Hitchhikers Guide (3 from 5)
2001: Space Odyssey series
Feist- Magician/Riftwar trilogy
Dune
Stranger in a Strange Land
Robin Hobb- Farseer/Assassins trilogy + Liveship trilogy
Mark Lawrence- Broken Empire/Thorns series (2 out of 3)
first 3 or 4 Pratchett books
Name of the Wind + Wise Mans Fear
Sanderson- Elantris, Steelheart, Firefight

Currently re-reading Wheel of Time, on book 8, in between reading new stuff.

It's in the back of my mind to read something that doesn't involve dragons or spaceships but never really got round to it. Meanwhile my list of fantasy and sci fi is ever growing - via looking for genre classics, Hugo awards winners, and modern 'best of 2016' style lists.

As I get older I find myself being the kind of person who goes deeper into one niche than spreads myself over a breadth of genres - this also applies to my sport and music interest (almost exclusively Rugby League and metal).

Based on that list I would recommend the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

Stewbum

Juniors
For the first time I'm reading a book at the behest of my 11yo: The Hunger Games.

I started yesterday and it's very good. One allows for some of the heart-string plucking and girl in a pretty dress stuff for the intended audience but it's gripping and well written. If I wasn't back at work today I'd be two thirds done already.

Mr Rotten meanwhile sits frozen in time just after ALBUM suprisingly charted (1986) to which his record company responded to by dropping him because it threatened their big signing Metallica.

Always had two books on the go at once
1 non fiction & one fiction .

Always loved war history..read countless books ..mainly on Germany & Europe .

But by far the best non fiction book I've ever read was
The Forsaken by Tim Tzouliadis

An incredible little known story of 3000+ Americans who emigrated to the Soviet Union in the early 1930s looking for a better life during the Great Depression .

They were eventually disowned by their own Govt & most just disappeared or ended up in the Gulag system .

It gives an insight to how cheap human life was in Stalins Russia.

An incredible story which would have been near impossible to research as plenty of historical records went up in smoke to hide what Stalin had done .

As for FICTION
Love All the King novels .
Loved the Harold Robbins epics
John Connollys Charlie Parker novels are dark & very well written .
for something different read The BOOK OF LOST THINGS by Connolly.
Part fantasy part horror ...excellent read.

But my fave work of fiction(although I suspect it has a fair element of truth)is
Power Of The Dog. By Don Winslow .

It spans 30 yrs & is the story of a DEA agent & his war on drugs against the Mexican drug cartels.
It has it all ....brutality ..extreme violence
Corruption, on all levels,& how far the tentacles spread into Govts....other crims...etc .
Touches of humour ....
Just a brilliant book

Only book I've ever given 10/10 .

Stewbum

Juniors
Always had two books on the go at once
1 non fiction & one fiction .

Always loved war history..read countless books ..mainly on Germany & Europe .

But by far the best non fiction book I've ever read was
The Forsaken by Tim Tzouliadis

An incredible little known story of 3000+ Americans who emigrated to the Soviet Union in the early 1930s looking for a better life during the Great Depression .

They were eventually disowned by their own Govt & most just disappeared or ended up in the Gulag system .

It gives an insight to how cheap human life was in Stalins Russia.

An incredible story which would have been near impossible to research as plenty of historical records went up in smoke to hide what Stalin had done .

As for FICTION
Love All the King novels .
Loved the Harold Robbins epics
Part fantasy part horror ...excellent read.

But my fave work of fiction(although I suspect it has a fair element of truth)is
Power Of The Dog. By Don Winslow .

It spans 30 yrs & is the story of a DEA agent & his war on drugs against the Mexican drug cartels.
It has it all ....brutality ..extreme violence
Corruption, on all levels,& how far the tentacles spread into Govts....other crims...etc .
Touches of humour ....
Just a brilliant book

Only book I've ever given 10/10 .

That copy/paste is unpleasant to try to read.

I read the link you pasted and it sounds very interesting indeed.

gUt

Coach

Agreed, the Parker series is excellent. My dad is probably Connolly's biggest fan.

Parra

Referee
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

In that category of books "why did I wait so long to pick this up but I'm glad I finally did"

I can't say it better than this review " "appalling, hilarious, shocking, and infuriating," and concluded that "this is an annoying book and you must read it. And you better take it lightly, because if you don't you'll go off weeping and shoot yourself."

axl rose

Bench
Just finished A True Story of The Great Escape. Unlike the famous movie no Yanks were involved in the escape..surprise surprise. Anyway highly recommended.

upload_2017-3-1_19-0-50.jpeg

axl rose

Bench
Really need to get into more of these Eastern Front WW2 books. Such a fascinating read.

41TTFMRE7ML._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg