What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New State Cups Announce

franklin2323

Immortal
In Queensland a decentralised model seems less of a problem because the state is actually largely decentralised... decent size population centres all the way down the coast with well established leagues and pathways from Cairns to Tweed heads, and Toowoomba inland. NSW just seems much more centralised around Sydney than Qld is around Brisbane - how big are the centres outside of the Newcastle to Woolongong strip. Are there any regional centres big enough to support a State League team, even if you could iron out the little problem of players versing NRL contracted opposition week in and out.

Western NSW based in Dubbo/Bathurst/Tamworth could have a team. Aside from that the travel costs and access to players would be a problem

siv

First Grade
How do you get rid of those above clubs for somewhere maybe not so viable. Travel costs for starters, Then you need 40 or so players etc.

The trick is to have NSW Cup teams based within 5h of Sydney or close to a regional airport

siv

First Grade
Could they? Based on what? Those are places you can name?

Western Rams have a strong setup
So thats one

But the trick is provide a travel allowance grant

Players are not a issue if planned. As over 250 u20s graduate or leave the game every year

So thats one

Players are not a issue if planned. As over 250 u20s graduate or leave the game every year
The Western Rams? That's one is it? So just say the name of a regional team and that's that sorted?

f**k me.

Does anyone in Western region even want a team? Is someone willing the pay the six figure price tag every year?

This approach of randomly pointing at bigger regional towns and cities on a map and saying "hmmm we'll have a team here" is ridiculous. And coincidentally exactly what Richo spent a year doing while on his big NRL salary. That worked out well.

franklin2323

Immortal
So thats one

thousands of people leave Regional Australia each year. So need businesses on board to keep these players in the area

franklin2323

Immortal
The Western Rams? That's one is it? So just say the name of a regional team and that's that sorted?

f**k me.

Does anyone in Western region even want a team? Is someone willing the pay the six figure price tag every year?

This approach of randomly pointing at bigger regional towns and cities on a map and saying "hmmm we'll have a team here" is ridiculous. And coincidentally exactly what Richo spent a year doing while on his big NRL salary. That worked out well.

See you whinge there's too many Sydney teams. Then we move the discussion to regional teams and you still aren't happy. Cost is why we are getting these Western Sydney teams in the comp. Blacktown Workers, Wentworthville, St Marys etc all have huge Leagues clubs that want to spend it on the game

See you whinge there's too many Sydney teams. Then we move the discussion to regional teams and you still aren't happy. Cost is why we are getting these Western Sydney teams in the comp. Blacktown Workers, Wentworthville, St Marys etc all have huge Leagues clubs that want to spend it on the game
When did I whinge there are too many Sydney teams? I don't care how many Sydney teams are in the NSW cup. It's a Sydney comp that I have little interest in.

It's just funny that Sydney people look at a map of NSW and go, let's have teams in Wagga, Dubbo and Tamworth. No thought about whether these places want these teams, no thought about who will pay for them or where the players will come from. These reserve grade sides with flown in NRL fringe players won't do much for bush football and will cost a shit load. If they wanted to spend millions on bush football, and they don't really, this is not how to do it. Qld cup clubs would cost anywhere up to a $1m a year I reckon, certainly in the hundreds of thousands. That's just a guess but l know how much some spend and how much they receive from their leagues clubs and it's a lot. The NRL will have to fund the whole thing to make it viable and that would be an appalling waste of money.

And after all that there's no guarantee they will even gain any support from those communities. They played a NSW cup game in Tamworth a couple of years ago and there was about 100 people there. It's not NRL and it's not local footy; it's neither here nor there. It doesn't interest people.

There is an obsession with recreating the Qld Cup in NSW but what people seem to ignore is that every team in the Qld Cup is based in a city of at least 80,000 people. There is not a single place in country NSW that is that big. Even Toowoomba couldn't maintain its team and it's 110,000 people these days. That's twice the size of the biggest inland city in NSW, Wagga.

They are a few hours outside of Sydney dipshit. Same reason Newcastle and Wollongong work
Newcastle and Wollongong? Dubbo and Tamworth? You're comparing Newcastle and Wollongong with Dubbo and Tamworth? And that's a relevant comparison to you?
And I'm a "dipshit"? Lol.
That'll do me.

franklin2323

Immortal
Newcastle and Wollongong? Dubbo and Tamworth? You're comparing Newcastle and Wollongong with Dubbo and Tamworth? And that's a relevant comparison to you?
And I'm a "dipshit"? Lol.
That'll do me.

Driving Distance Bathurst to Parramatta 2 hrs 39mins
Driving Distance Newcastle to Parramatta 2 hrs 4 mins
Driving Distance Wollongong to Parramatta 1hr 44mins

In a State Comp lets not include the whole state dipshit. As above the driving distances are similar hence why I said Bathurst team would work

siv

First Grade

f**k me.

Sounds like someone got some angry pills for Xmas

And yes come as ot might be a surprise to you

There are NSW Country areas that want to be a part of RL at a higher level

Driving Distance Bathurst to Parramatta 2 hrs 39mins
Driving Distance Newcastle to Parramatta 2 hrs 4 mins
Driving Distance Wollongong to Parramatta 1hr 44mins

In a State Comp lets not include the whole state dipshit. As above the driving distances are similar hence why I said Bathurst team would work

Haha. No mention of Dubbo and Tamworth this time? Yeah,
I wonder why.

And, hmmm, why else might Bathurst not be the same as Newcastle and Wollongong? I can't quite put my finger on it.

Sounds like someone got some angry pills for Xmas

And yes come as ot might be a surprise to you

There are NSW Country areas that want to be a part of RL at a higher level
Well the NRL has just forced regional rep teams to become under 23 teams instead of opens, so there's no chance of any higher levels for most players anymore. And this is the NRL you trust to expand the state comp to country areas. Good luck with that. Not that you've shown any evidence of these country areas who want to be part of the NSW Cup, much less explained how it will be funded.

siv

First Grade
Well the NRL has just forced regional rep teams to become under 23 teams instead of opens, so there's no chance of any higher levels for most players anymore. And this is the NRL you trust to expand the state comp to country areas. Good luck with that. Not that you've shown any evidence of these country areas who want to be part of the NSW Cup, much less explained how it will be funded.

CRL made that call as they are independent of the NRL

CRL made that call as they are independent of the NRL
No they didn't. The NRL lobbied them to do it, almost certainly with the threat of losing funding attached. Same as city-country. Why do you think the CRL hasn't said a word about it being scrapped? Shut up or lose your cash. No way CRL regions would do it otherwise. It's an appalling decision that will do untold damage.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
No they didn't. The NRL lobbied them to do it, almost certainly with the threat of losing funding attached. Same as city-country. Why do you think the CRL hasn't said a word about it being scrapped? Shut up or lose your cash. No way CRL regions would do it otherwise. It's an appalling decision that will do untold damage.

I have seen plenty of interviews and media from CRL officials about city-country and they have raised the expectation of getting more NRL games in the regions.

If the NRL plan to remove the NRL "B" teams from the second tier which the likes of Penrith currently field and then replace them with new regional affiliates then I see no reason why it would not work for say a team in Bathurst or Coffs. Of course there will have to be an element of central funding for it too work, but these sides would in theory have access to their parent clubs surplus players each week.

Alternatively, another option is to alter the Ron Massey cup to be a statewide competition with teams representing the north coast, west, New England, Riverina..... alongside metro teams like St Mary's, Wenty etc..... Each side would have a mandatorty affiliation with an NRL side as its third senior team, but the main purpose is as a pathway and professional development league which is truly state-wide. This way what is currently the state can morph into a wider national/pacific competition that the ARL seems to want it to be

I have seen plenty of interviews and media from CRL officials about city-country and they have raised the expectation of getting more NRL games in the regions.

If the NRL plan to remove the NRL "B" teams from the second tier which the likes of Penrith currently field and then replace them with new regional affiliates then I see no reason why it would not work for say a team in Bathurst or Coffs. Of course there will have to be an element of central funding for it too work, but these sides would in theory have access to their parent clubs surplus players each week.

Alternatively, another option is to alter the Ron Massey cup to be a statewide competition with teams representing the north coast, west, New England, Riverina..... alongside metro teams like St Mary's, Wenty etc..... Each side would have a mandatorty affiliation with an NRL side as its third senior team, but the main purpose is as a pathway and professional development league which is truly state-wide. This way what is currently the state can morph into a wider national/pacific competition that the ARL seems to want it to be
Yes CRL have "raised expectations" of NRL games. And none have been forthcoming. So city-country has been axed with zero plan to replace it. Sound like good planning?

So they're going to replace NRL reserve grade teams with exactly the same teams except they'll transplant them in a few country regions at greater expense and pretend they are teams from those regions? So just more money wasted for a superficial sense of a "statewide" comp.

And the last bit is even more ridiculous. Now it's third tier you want to spend shit loads on and again with the arbitrary naming of random country regions. New England gets a mention in most of these, including by Richo, who had them playing games in Coffs Harbour, just to prove how completely out of touch he was. There is no way in hell any fly in fly out state team will play out of New England anyway. It's just the same old exercise in people in Sydney throwing darts at a map of nsw and saying "we'll have a team here". It's a complete non-plan. It's just someone's imagination.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Yes CRL have "raised expectations" of NRL games. And none have been forthcoming. So city-country has been axed with zero plan to replace it. Sound like good planning?

So they're going to replace NRL reserve grade teams with exactly the same teams except they'll transplant them in a few country regions at greater expense and pretend they are teams from those regions? So just more money wasted for a superficial sense of a "statewide" comp.

And the last bit is even more ridiculous. Now it's third tier you want to spend shit loads on and again with the arbitrary naming of random country regions. New England gets a mention in most of these, including by Richo, who had them playing games in Coffs Harbour, just to prove how completely out of touch he was. There is no way in hell any fly in fly out state team will play out of New England anyway. It's just the same old exercise in people in Sydney throwing darts at a map of nsw and saying "we'll have a team here". It's a complete non-plan. It's just someone's imagination.

For all the complaining you do, what do you actually want, what is your solution?

Also city country is present for this year on the calender in addition to the game at Bathurst and maybe others I have not had a detailed look so I would hardly expect the NRL to announce fixtures for the bush in 2018 which would be 16 months away!!!

Latest posts