What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup / Sydney Shield 2017

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Booting this up as a new thread. Expecting the draws for both comps along with ISP, Ball and Matts early in the new year.

Timmah

Staff member
RMC is looking like a very small competition in 2017 - only eleven teams by my count:

Auburn Asquith
Blacktown Workers
Cabramatta
Concord-Burwood
Guildford
Hills Bulls
Mounties
St Marys
Wentworthville
Western Suburbs

Gone from 2016 are Kingsgrove and Windsor.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
SS is looking at a 12-team competition this season

Asquith
Belrose
Blacktown Workers
Cabramatta
East Campbelltown
Guildford
Hills Bulls
Mounties
Moorebank
St Marys
Wentworthville
Western Suburbs

Auburn, Peninsula & Windsor are gone, with only Moorebank coming in.

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
RMC is looking like a very small competition in 2017 - only ten teams by my count:

Asquith
Blacktown Workers
Cabramatta
Concord-Burwood
Guildford
Hills Bulls
Mounties
St Marys
Wentworthville
Western Suburbs

Gone from 2016 are Auburn, Kingsgrove and Windsor.

Where are the excess Bulldogs NSW Cup players going to play if Auburn is not in RMC?

Timmah

Staff member
Good question - perhaps Moorebank's inclusion in Shield is to offset that?

rightleftin

Juniors
Good question - perhaps Moorebank's inclusion in Shield is to offset that?

I had assumed that the situation at Parramatta ie NSW Cup players go to Wenty RMC and NYC go to Guildford SS would be mirrored by NSW Cup players to Auburn RMC and NYC to Moorebank SS with Auburn not entering SS but if several of the NSW Cup are going to play SS every week, Moorebank will be odds on to take the SS title.

Timmah

Staff member
Edit: never mind I understand you now. Yeah Moorebank will be a shoe-in if thats how it's gonna operate

Joker44

Juniors
I believe it is the other way around. Auburn will be in RMC. Moorebank will replace Auburn in SS. Excess Bulldogs NYC to Moorebank and excess Bulldogs NSW CUP to Auburn RMC.
Brad Morrin is coaching Moorebank SS in 2017

Timmah

Staff member
@Joker44 is correct, I've got updated information on that - Auburn are out of SS replaced by Moorebank. Makes most sense.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Windsor are gone because Phil Gould hates Brent Kite and didn't want him as coach, Windsor told him to f-off and had their funding removed by Penrith. With St Marys' return to the fold, Penrith have decided to explore those avenues.

Is there any truth to a resurgence of Glebe or was that all a pipe dream? Even heard whispers of Balmain-Ryde Eastwood entering the competitions.

kbw

Bench
I would like to see Kingsgrove fill in that spot in SS to prevent a bye

kbw

Bench
Windsor are gone because Phil Gould hates Brent Kite and didn't want him as coach, Windsor told him to f-off and had their funding removed by Penrith. With St Marys' return to the fold, Penrith have decided to explore those avenues.

Is there any truth to a resurgence of Glebe or was that all a pipe dream? Even heard whispers of Balmain-Ryde Eastwood entering the competitions.

I heard it was more related to Windsor upsetting their major sponsor who pulled funding. I would be surprised if Penrith were funding them much at all

rightleftin

Juniors
I heard it was more related to Windsor upsetting their major sponsor who pulled funding. I would be surprised if Penrith were funding them much at all

The major sponsor apart from the Leagues club would have been Dick Prior's Cooks Plumbing, which switched its funding to Hills District when Kite replaced Brad Prior as Windsor coach.

As Auburn are in RMC and not SS, Timmah's numbers change to 11 for RMC and 12 for SS.

Timmah

Staff member
Yep, updated those at the top.

@Tigers1986 can confirm 100% the teams in the 2nd and 3rd posts are in the respective comps this year, no extras or less.

Draws should be out Mon / Tue next week

Tigers1986

Juniors
So no Glebe? That's a shame.

NSWRL don't really make the RMC that attractive then do they. Should have The Entrance back with support from the CRL. Bring in Ryde Eastwood again. Get in Shellharbour. Promote the game widespread like the old Metro Cup used to. Diluting the teams just makes it more of a joke.

Great news about the draw though. Need to schedule my Magpie adventures

rightleftin

Juniors
Ryde Eastwood will never come back. They were a 2 team club, rarely having anything below Metro Cup, so with no juniors they would sign up a dozen guys with 1st grade experience every year. The restrictive rules on experienced players in RMC in its various names means that Ryde Eastwood would simply become a funder of the Tigers.

In Shellharbour's second season in JBC, St George had no reserve grade team which meant that players switched between NRL and Shellharbour on a weekly basis - Wendell Sailor, Ben Rogers, Jon Green, Matt Prior and Ben Ellis. Thus Shellharbour made the semis.

Shellharbour then moved into NSW Cup with a beefed up contingent of St George players but after a few years they found that they could not continue to finance their share of the JV.

Last edited:

Latest posts