What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team 2017

MF88

Juniors
Parker will obviously be a big loss that needs to be resolved somehow. And there is the question of our back line assuming Chambers and Slater are available.

You'd have to think Napa and Holmes will be in the mix. Chambers should replace O'Neill.

And Guerra should find himself on the outer if his form doesn't dramatically pick-up next year for Easts. I'd like to see Papalii or Gillett take Thaiday's starting edge but that won't happen.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If McGuire takes the lock spot at Brisbane and does well he could go from the bench to 13 and napa slides into the bench spot.

MF88

Juniors
I think both Napa and McGuire should be starting. Myles has become a shadow of the player he used to be. He's essentially just a passenger these days.

The QLD team has reached a point where a succession plan has been in place for the last few years. As can be seen by blind Freddy, succeeding the current roster is easier said than done, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done.

It has to be acknowledged by the Maroons fans that the winning record of the last 11 Origin seasons(10 wins from 11 series) will probably never be repeated nor surpassed as long as Origin is followed to the degree that it is presently. In other words eventually we will lose more than one series in a row. The most difficult thing to sustain in elite level sport is to maintain a winning run. That difficulty multiplies in team sports. Our run has been remarkable. One day it will go back to the pattern seen previously where the wins are more evenly shared between us and the Blues. Until that day, revel in the mental strength of our representatives.

This is why the Head Coach is so important. He builds a foundation upon which a team can draw inspiration. Select players with the right attributes, then inspire them. That is the best recipe for success. The rest happens on the grass.

I would like to see one more series winning streak of more than 3. Since it has never been achieved by the Blues, it would be nice to repeat it.

isaiah

Bench
Have to find a way to win without inglis. Chambers one centre, o'neill or gagai the other?

TheFrog

Coach
I would like to see one more series winning streak of more than 3. Since it has never been achieved by the Blues, it would be nice to repeat it.
At the moment it is 2, so that will come next year, without JT and maybe GI as well. I think you should concern yourself with this year.

At the moment it is 2, so that will come next year, without JT and maybe GI as well. I think you should concern yourself with this year.
With 2 games in QLD this year I really think that the Blues are the ones who need to be concerned. The Blues couldn't manage an Origin Series win with 2 home games last year, so it wouldn't be wise to be overestimating their ability with only 1 home game.

QLD: Origin favourites for 2017

ALX25

Juniors
Plenty of time for candidates to put their hand up (Napa, Holmes, Glasby, Friend). The real concern is the lack of genuine forward options after that.

MF88

Juniors
Barring a dramatic return from Slater the QLD back line will be:

1.Boyd
2.Oates
3.Chambers
4.O'Neill
5.Gagai

The only other possiblility is Holmes snatching a wing spot.

The forward pack is much more uncertain. Scott, McGuire and Napa should be certainties. As should Papalii, it just depends on whether Walters is going to play him up the guts again, which I think is a virtual certainty given the lack of options. And for the remaining front row bench spot you've got Lillyman, Bolton and a few young guns pushing.

So it comes down to who partners Scott up front, who plays lock and who comes off the bench to replace the two props. I'd have Papalii starting at lock but I think it's more likely he'll be a sub with Lillyman. McGuire and Napa will probably start. Nate Myles is done and f**k me if Walters doesn't see it.

Gillett and Thaiday will obviously start on the edges. Reserve second rower will be between Cooper, Guerra, Hess and Lowe, I'd say.

davi

Juniors
Barring a dramatic return from Slater the QLD back line will be:

1.Boyd
2.Oates
3.Chambers
4.O'Neill
5.Gagai

The only other possiblility is Holmes snatching a wing spot.

The forward pack is much more uncertain. Scott, McGuire and Napa should be certainties. As should Papalii, it just depends on whether Walters is going to play him up the guts again, which I think is a virtual certainty given the lack of options. And for the remaining front row bench spot you've got Lillyman, Bolton and a few young guns pushing.

So it comes down to who partners Scott up front, who plays lock and who comes off the bench to replace the two props. I'd have Papalii starting at lock but I think it's more likely he'll be a sub with Lillyman. McGuire and Napa will probably start. Nate Myles is done and f**k me if Walters doesn't see it.

Gillett and Thaiday will obviously start on the edges. Reserve second rower will be between Cooper, Guerra, Hess and Lowe, I'd say.

I really think Holmes will be there before Oates, Holmes missed out last year because of the drinking ban. Matt Scott out for the year now will almost definitely see Dylan Napa in contention, although there has been some murmurings about Titans Jarrod Wallace getting a chance. It will be interesting if Kevin Walters get some of the work horses from the past in Myles or Lillyman. I know that Napa and Mcguire starting as props there may be a feeling that their light on experience in that department and Napa would be better coming of the bench making his debut.

I really can't see Slater coming back, and I like said on different thread I would only consider him at fullback.

Marlins

Juniors
1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Wallace
9. Smith
10. Papaili
11. Napa
12. Gillet
13. McGuire
Interchange
14. Morgan
15. Thaiday
16. Guerra
17. Hess
18th man
Corey Norman

davi

Juniors
I'm not sure why everyone is so keen to get Coen Hess in the team. He is only 20, whats the rush? The media have jumped on the bandwagon, but I get the feeling Queensland selectors may turn to some of their past players who have got the job done then to rush Hess in the squad.

Last edited:

Eelpout

Juniors
Darius Boyd

Corey Oates

Dane Gagai

Will Chambers

Valentine Holmes

Jonathan Thurston

Cooper Cronk

Dylan Napa

Cameron Smith

Josh Papali

Chris McQueen

Matt Gillett

Sam Thaiday

Jarrod Wallace

Josh McGuire

Coen Hess

Michael Morgan

Thoughts?

Jimmy-o

Juniors
The team I think Kev will pick:

Slater
Boyd
Chambers
Gagai
Oates
Thurston
Cronk
Myles (first 25-30 mins only)
Smith
Napa
Thaiday
Gillett
McGuire

Morgan
Papalii
Lillyman/Glasby
Hess

TheFrog

Coach
This side looks extremely beatable. It is all up to NSW and in particular who they select. If they select the same old failures (Pearce, Jackson, Klemmer, Farah), Qld will win again.

Last edited:

isaiah

Bench
Darius Boyd

Corey Oates

Dane Gagai

Will Chambers

Valentine Holmes

Jonathan Thurston

Cooper Cronk

Dylan Napa

Cameron Smith