What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wolfpack on AUS TV

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
With only 10 days till there first major trial match i'm wondering if any of the AUS TV networks are going to pick up the Wolfpack games? It has the potential to be one of the biggest stories of the year and so i think it would be well worth it.

Coastbloke

Bench
Would love to think so but we are talking about a Sports TV industry that almost didn't show any matches from the 2015 Kiwi tour to England, so highly unlikely we will get to see the Wolfpack..

Further to that. Australian rugby league shows are so self obssessed with the NRL Comp and SOO, I think that there will zero mention of the Wolfpack on these as well..Hopefully Foxtel's 24Hr League channel might find some time for their season..

Heritage XIII

Juniors
With only 10 days till there first major trial match i'm wondering if any of the AUS TV networks are going to pick up the Wolfpack games? It has the potential to be one of the biggest stories of the year and so i think it would be well worth it.

you do know according to the Australian media & the trolls who hate the game, international rugby league doesn't exist?

Saying that I nearly spat out my cornflakes when the DT printed an article on the Wolfpack, so anything can happen

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
The reason i have real hope is because of how proactive the Wolfpack and Eric Perez is. You guys are right, Aus doesn't seem to care but the Eric Perez wants to change the Rugby League landscape and he gets things done. Because of this surely he wants the Wolfpack brand to be well known in Aus. Also while the 24 hour channel will probably just have replays and footballers interviewing footballers about nothing, it is a chance for them to actually add to their content and chase a wider audience.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Not a chance they don't even show the Summer Bash of the championship let alone League 1 fixtures

Evil Homer

Staff member
The reason i have real hope is because of how proactive the Wolfpack and Eric Perez is. You guys are right, Aus doesn't seem to care but the Eric Perez wants to change the Rugby League landscape and he gets things done. Because of this surely he wants the Wolfpack brand to be well known in Aus. Also while the 24 hour channel will probably just have replays and footballers interviewing footballers about nothing, it is a chance for them to actually add to their content and chase a wider audience.
Perez has stated that his aim is for Northern Hemisphere RL to overtake the NRL. He doesn't care less about Australia or being known there.

Emu01

Juniors
Channel 9 in Australia should show the Wolfpack games leading into their Sunday afternoon 4pm coverage of nrl.

They currently show super league games before the nrl game,so I can't see why they can't mix it up with the Canadian team..

This would show a fair bit of forward thinking, but unfortunately channel 9 don't seem to think outside the square..

Emu01

Juniors
Channel 9 show super league games leading into the Nrl game on a Sunday afternoon.

I can't see why they can't show the Wolfpack games in place of the super league games..

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Channel 9 should show super league games leading into the Nrl game on a Sunday afternoon.

I can't see why they can't show the Wolfpack games in place of the super league games..
As stated, we're talking about a TV market that was reluctant to show the England v NZ test series in 2015. I'd say the chances of them showing matches from a small, obscure foreign league are slim to none even if they were given the rights for free, or even paid to do it based on their track record. IIRC 9 didn't even show Super League regularly when they had the rights.
Hopefully Fox's 24 hour channel give it a shot.
Do we know how much (if any) international content will be on the 24 hour channel yet?

adamkungl

Immortal
As stated, we're talking about a TV market that was reluctant to show the England v NZ test series in 2015. I'd say the chances of them showing matches from a small, obscure foreign league are slim to none even if they were given the rights for free, or even paid to do it.
Do we know how much (if any) international content will be on the 24 hour channel yet?

We know nothing much, as usual. They have to fill it with something right, hopefully not re-runs of 90s NRL matches.

Counter to your point is the fact that Fox do show SL games every week, and Championship games occasionally (super 8s mostly) so it's not without precedent. Hopefully the Kiwis v England debacle won't happen again.

Evil Homer

Staff member
We know nothing much, as usual. They have to fill it with something right, hopefully not re-runs of 90s NRL matches.

Counter to your point is the fact that Fox do show SL games every week, and Championship games occasionally (super 8s mostly) so it's not without precedent. Hopefully the Kiwis v England debacle won't happen again.
Yeah, Fox seem to be a lot more receptive than Nine, I'm hoping they can at least get some type of international content on there even if it's just SL matches since they already have the rights. Although to be fair you can understand why they wouldn't, you wouldn't expect a dedicated NFL channel to show content from the CFL or Polish league for example and most fans probably wouldn't be interested in that stuff.

Latest posts