What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Performance Updates

BennyV

Referee
Agree Benny
Let hope Herbert quickly recovers for his injured hand.
I think he is the future.
Do you think so
I think that of all our junior backlines options - Dufty, Field, Garrick, Thompson, and so on - Herbert is the one that is most likely to make a fist of first grade. A lot of those other guys are very exciting and have a high chance of making it as well, and a lot of people are banging about Dufty and Field, but their strengths (evasiveness and speed) are amplified by the poor defensive structures of the 20s comp and given their current size and strength limitations, I'm not expecting them to burst into first grade and they may take a few years to fully get used to it and start making their mark.

Herbert, IMO, is like a more skillful version of Aitken, in that he's got the right physique to make the transition to first grade, he works hard and his strength is an asset. But he's got a lot more awareness and ballskills, plus he has an intangible class about him - everything he did in u20s looked so natural and polished. He's a very exciting prospect.

Old Timer

Coach
Not all our juniors are going to make it and the side must be a mixture of youth an experience.
Some will make it straight away (not so many though)
Some will make it for a year and fade
Some will take several years
So keep a few stalwarts Packer, Frizz, Dugan, Thompson
Pray that McInnes, Vaughan, Kerr, Host, Dodd, Dufty, Leilua, Mc Donald, Aitken and Milne all make it.
Buy a good half and only proven rep quality players at the top of their game.
Put De Belin, Widdop, LAM all on notice.
Pension off Nighty and move on the injury plagued like Glymin, Masoe
Get rid of the shit Lafai, Fai Fai Loa, Matthews, Marketo etc
Play Russian roulette with all the other juniors.
Then be ruthless in who you keep and quickly move players on.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I think that of all our junior backlines options - Dufty, Field, Garrick, Thompson, and so on - Herbert is the one that is most likely to make a fist of first grade. A lot of those other guys are very exciting and have a high chance of making it as well, and a lot of people are banging about Dufty and Field, but their strengths (evasiveness and speed) are amplified by the poor defensive structures of the 20s comp and given their current size and strength limitations, I'm not expecting them to burst into first grade and they may take a few years to fully get used to it and start making their mark.

Herbert, IMO, is like a more skillful version of Aitken, in that he's got the right physique to make the transition to first grade, he works hard and his strength is an asset. But he's got a lot more awareness and ballskills, plus he has an intangible class about him - everything he did in u20s looked so natural and polished. He's a very exciting prospect.

Agree benny also a great leader and well respected.
Let hope he makes it.
I agree with Garrick a replacement for nighty as I would think this is his last year.
Thompson is a big chance but does get lazy on the field.
But with full time training hopefully his fitness will lift also.
Let hope all these guys plus one or two others will make it as they are are future

Belta

Juniors
With such a high volume of players off contract at the end of 2017 I expect there would be an high level of anticipation amongst players leading up to the 2018 season, as evidenced in Dugans public anouncement in relation to wanting to secure his future, it will be interesting to see who is retained and who is cut I agree with OT, the club needs to be ruthless, and the reason for this is the continual poor performances, to keep being faithful to long term players because of the amount of games, because they have been great ambassadors for the club or so on is not the most effective way to rebuild a club, we need a coach like Ricky Stuart done with Canberra who will start giving the good juniors a run with the FG players who are performing, and be ruthless with the ones who are under performing and wield the axe with the others

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Agree benny also a great leader and well respected.
Let hope he makes it.
I agree with Garrick a replacement for nighty as I would think this is his last year.
Thompson is a big chance but does get lazy on the field.
But with full time training hopefully his fitness will lift also.
Let hope all these guys plus one or two others will make it as they are are future

Big fan of Herbert and as BennyV states is a more versatile and agile centre than Aitken and wasn't he the NZ U20's captain if I'm not mistaken, so he has plenty of leadership qualities and smarts.

I also have a high opinion of Matheson Johns and is one to keep an eye on in the U20's this year.

Izaac Thompson has the potential to be better the Leilua IMO (although one's a back and one's a forward) but as stated has been lazy (or appeared to be) or just looses his way a lot. Someone also wrote during the year 2016 whilst playing for the Cutters he had hands like feet. Maybe the new training staff and regime have ironed these issues out of him.

BennyV

Referee
Big fan of Herbert and as BennyV states is a more versatile and agile centre than Aitken and wasn't he the NZ U20's captain if I'm not mistaken, so he has plenty of leadership qualities and smarts.

I also have a high opinion of Matheson Johns and is one to keep an eye on in the U20's this year.

Izaac Thompson has the potential to be better the Leilua IMO (although one's a back and one's a forward) but as stated has been lazy (or appeared to be) or just looses his way a lot. Someone also wrote during the year 2016 whilst playing for the Cutters he had hands like feet. Maybe the new training staff and regime have ironed these issues out of him.
I like Matheson Johns, made a bit impact when he entered u20s and he's still young for that comp too. I reckon he will end up in the second row like Thompson though - big, strong, runs good lines.

I'm also keen to see what Jackson Willis brings to under 20s this year. I think he'll get a few shots at halfback, played u18s SOO and only has 1 functioning eye, so that will be interesting.

getsmarty

Immortal
High Performance Update: Pre-Season 11
Fri 20th January, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth provides an update on the squad as the pre-season campaign continues at our training base in WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

Pickworth provides an update on forward Mose Masoe (knee) who has returned to the training paddock in a limited capacity.

Furthermore, the Head of Athletic Performance also provides an update on Blake Lawrie (neck), Shaun Nona (ankle), Leeson Ah Mau (knee) and Russell Packer (shoulder, hip) who are all back at training with the main group.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/20/high_performance_upd.af_news.html

Red V for life

Juniors
First post in a couple of months. I needed an "off-season" myself after last year.

It's obviously done the trick. Reading the high performance updates, the Ben Hunt thread and most importantly the retention of juniors threads on the forum, I just can't wait for kick-off (and yes I'm aware Mary and Doust are still there...unfortunately).

I don't expect us to do much this year mind you (although I hope I am proven wrong), but I am looking forward to this season way more than I thought I would be.

C'mon March...and go the Dragons!

hewi

Bench
First post in a couple of months. I needed an "off-season" myself after last year.

It's obviously done the trick. Reading the high performance updates, the Ben Hunt thread and most importantly the retention of juniors threads on the forum, I just can't wait for kick-off (and yes I'm aware Mary and Doust are still there...unfortunately).

I don't expect us to do much this year mind you (although I hope I am proven wrong), but I am looking forward to this season way more than I thought I would be.

C'mon March...and go the Dragons!

You know what neither do I, however a lot of blocks are in place for a bright future. Mary is not a total goose (big call I know) he will IMO want to redeem himself after last years disaster. The preseason games will tell us a lot. I don't think it will be as bad as last year. I'm very impressed with our forwards. Half back and Widdop form will be the decider. I'm excited!!!!

getsmarty

Immortal
High Performance Update: Pre-Season 12
Fri 27th January, 11:30AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth provides another update on the squad as the pre-season continues to progress.

Pickworth discusses some unfortunate news in regards to Kiti Glymin who suffered a shoulder injury at the Dragons' pre-season boot camp.

Pickworth also offers updates on Jack de Belin (wrist) and Shaun Nona (ankle) after they were both named in the Dragons' NRL Auckland Nines squad.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/27/high_performance_upd.html

emu62

Juniors
Kiti Glymin's shoulder pops out of its socket at the boot camp & he is allowed to soldier on for the rest of the camp.Suddenly the high performance unit is sounding not so high

Latest posts