What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird to Dragons 2018 Rumour Won't Go Away

giboz71

First Grade
Would only happen if we didn't sign Duges. Use that cash to get a premiership calibre 5/8 like Bird or Elgey.

We'd need to be sure that Dufty is our long term FB, and that 2 of Mann, Milne, Aitken or Herbert can lock down the 2 centre positions (quite possible).

Don't think we can answer those questions yet however so will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

mickeylane

Bench
I think the Dragons will try And bring him home - Bird has been seen at Dragons training twice in the past month - he has close ties with at least 3-4 of current Dragons players and is in awe of Josh Dugan as a person and player.. Don't dismiss his love for the Dragons

Reactions: Qdf

hewi

Bench
Hunt and Bird as the halves pairing would be awesome!!!! If Widdop wants a new contract he will need to have a massive season and judging on last years performance I can't see it happening.

SaintPauli

Juniors
My priority would be with Bird every day of the week. He reminds me of Wally Lewis as he always seems to have so much time on the field! Then pending on Widops 2017 performance and Dugan accepting being paid as a center and Lafai let go, the future looks good.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Hunt and Bird as the halves pairing would be awesome!!!! If Widdop wants a new contract he will need to have a massive season and judging on last years performance I can't see it happening.
Play Widdop at Fullback, I am convinced that is his position.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Forget Jack Bird He will NOT and I mean NOT be returning to the Dragons.He will not leave the Sharks and if he does it will be for the other steel City Newcastle.

Crush

Coach
But why?
Look, it's obvious that Bird is a phenomenal player and would be a huge acquisition for any squad, but surely with the signing of Ben Hunt that all but solidifies our halves combination for 2018 and beyond in Hunt/Field.
Dufty will be our fullback and Dugan/Milne/Aitken/Herbert/Thompson to fight it out for a centre spot.

If we do offer him a contract, he will be a pretty highly paid second-rower/lock.
Hey Tom, I see that you are a massive fan of jai field and often talk him up as our long term 5/8 from 2018. How much have you seen of him? I like your positive outlook on this kid but I think it is a bit ambitious to say he is definitely our number 6 into the future. Sure he might be but I think we have to be careful not to throw all of our hopes on a 19 year old kid who may ir may not make the transition from 20s to NRL. I reckon they will be hopeful he steps up at some stage but keeping their options open.
Not being critical either mate, I enjoy your posts. Cheers.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Hey Tom, I see that you are a massive fan of jai field and often talk him up as our long term 5/8 from 2018. How much have you seen of him? I like your positive outlook on this kid but I think it is a bit ambitious to say he is definitely our number 6 into the future. Sure he might be but I think we have to be careful not to throw all of our hopes on a 19 year old kid who may ir may not make the transition from 20s to NRL. I reckon they will be hopeful he steps up at some stage but keeping their options open.
Not being critical either mate, I enjoy your posts. Cheers.

Hi crush
I have seen a lot of field play.
Yes he is exciting and has potential but he is at least 2 or mybe 3 years away.
He needs more time.
He needs to continue to dominate the under 20 and then the cutters.
He need to prove he can play and dominate in the cutters first.
Need to get use to playing against men.
He also needs to get physically strong.
He needs to be able to take the big men of nrl running at him all day.
He needs time to learn his craft.
His background is touch football.
If he's killing it in the cutters then give him a go.
If we rush him we may destroy his career before it starts.
He is a good kid and takes advise on board but he needs time.
Thats why I think his time is the end of 2018 and onwards.
If handled correctly and coached appropriately he has a good chance of been that star that we want.
I hope they dont stuff his career

Splinters

Juniors
I would love to see Bird signed to play lock, but as long as he stays there. I don't want to see Jai Field's chances of playing 5/8 diminished because they chose to play Bird there instead.
Another worry is that most locks these days are just like having another prop on the field (Gallen, Taumalolo, Klemmer, Burgess etc). I worry that maybe Bird isn't quite big enough to play in the middle for 80 minutes. But hey, he's proved a lot of people wrong in his career so far.

Splinters

Juniors
Hutchinson will be out for a year. He is 95 kg now at 21 and will keep growing. He won't get the half position but would be in contention for 5/8 and perhaps even as a ball playing lock. With Bird in the team as well, he would have to wonder if there is a place for him at Saints at all. I'd not like to see him go. He has a great resume and seems to be a very popular young man with other players. And he won't be playing for the sort of money Bird will demand (yes, Bird is a very good player)..

Splinters

Juniors
Hutchinson will be out for a year. He is 95 kg now at 21 and will keep growing. He won't get the half position but would be in contention for 5/8 and perhaps even as a ball playing lock. With Bird in the team as well, he would have to wonder if there is a place for him at Saints at all. I'd not like to see him go. He has a great resume and seems to be a very popular young man with other players. And he won't be playing for the sort of money Bird will demand (yes, Bird is a very good player)..

Latest posts