What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Nightingale 2017

ALSGI

Bench
Flo is an Absolute Club Legend and like most I desperately don't want to see him have another 2016.

But when we seem to have the dilemma of perhaps leaving players like Mann, Aitken or Milne out of the 17 - what to do?

I reckon he'd be an ideal bench utility this year. He can obviously cover FB and Wing but I reckon he'd also be an ideal impact player at hooker or anywhere around the ruck with his damaging dummy half work, especially 10 mins before half time and when the players are tiring.

This would allow some speed on the wing, and keep his experience and leadership in the 17.

Your thoughts?

Country Dragon

Juniors
Flo is an Absolute Club Legend and like most I desperately don't want to see him have another 2016.

But when we seem to have the dilemma of perhaps leaving players like Mann, Aitken or Milne out of the 17 - what to do?

I reckon he'd be an ideal bench utility this year. He can obviously cover FB and Wing but I reckon he'd also be an ideal impact player at hooker or anywhere around the ruck with his damaging dummy half work, especially 10 mins before half time and when the players are tiring.

This would allow some speed on the wing, and keep his experience and leadership in the 17.

Your thoughts?
If he's not good enough for the wing, he's not good enough for the team I'm afraid!

Gareth67

First Grade
We all have a very high opinion of the man , however I am sure that he realises that the competition in the starting team will be fierce this year and for that matter also the bench . Most importantly he is a good clubman , and he will do what is best for the team , he will merely bide his time , until called upon to take his place once again .

All I can say is that whomever is selected will have to put their best effort in , as should you be replaced by someone with Nightengale's ability , the chances are you wont regain your spot in the team .

Last edited:

Dragons22

Juniors
I think Jason should retire after this year and walk out as a good player. A legend he always will be, I think Mary's game plan structures ruin his game along with several other players.

hewi

Bench
I think Jason should retire after this year and walk out as a good player. A legend he always will be, I think Mary's game plan structures ruin his game along with several other players.

I thought he was struggling last year and then low and behold he hits his straps again. I agree however this should be his last year and if he doesn't cut the mustard then so be it a younger person takes his position. A heart as big as Pharlap will always be a Dragons legend!!!

TruSaint

Referee
Flo is classy enough to call it quits.
He stayed at his prime for less money.
If 2017 doesnt pan out for him, i would expect that he and he alone will make that call.
A true gentleman and club legend.
Also, a very rational and level headed man.. The club need not fear his position.
Doubt very much that Flo would inhibit the club..

TruSaint

Referee
Last I checked, Nightingale was the best winger we have and a current international. Give him good ball near the try line and talk of retirement will seem quite stupid.

I agree with your sentiment, apart from the last sentence.
He has 1-2 years max.
And yes I am a massive fan. So retirement is looming. I would be more than happy to see him go beyond that, but just cant see it.
In addition i would hate to see him leave busted or dropped.
Like i said let him leave on his terms, and i think he will.

ALSGI

Bench
Last I checked, Nightingale was the best winger we have and a current international. Give him good ball near the try line and talk of retirement will seem quite stupid.
Stupid, really? How near the try line? 5m granted, 15m maybe, he still has the smarts, 30-50m not any more, 50m + not a hope.....
Btw, I wasn't suggesting retirement at all, not this year anyway but something quiet opposite.

Dragon for life

Juniors
I agree with most comments in this post. Club legend and a club man.

Part of the problem last year was his dummy half running out of trouble. Everyone knew when he was at dummy half in our red zone that he was going to run and was subsequently cut down immediately. Now a decent coach would have recognized this and told him to not go to dummy half but get back and run onto the ball to aviod the markers. This would have been much more affective. This would have made his run metres look more impressive.

He has obviously lost a bit of pace and I hope that there is a place in the team for one last season. God knows he is a loyal player who deserves to go out as a legend and not be remembered for 2 poor seasons.

gitano

Juniors
Since77 nailed it. If he's given half a chance, he's still the best finisher we have. However if he's given no quality ball, or trying to help out halves who play east-west, he'll struggle (like anyone).

Qdf

Juniors
I agree with your sentiment, apart from the last sentence.
He has 1-2 years max.
And yes I am a massive fan. So retirement is looming. I would be more than happy to see him go beyond that, but just cant see it.
In addition i would hate to see him leave busted or dropped.
Like i said let him leave on his terms, and i think he will.
Unfortunately in this day and age it's impossible to carry players for sentimental value only.
Nightingale has been a super clubman & international, and he is dearly admired by fans, for many years.But if it's time l'm sure he would be the first to put his hand up & not need Tobe tapped on the shoulder..

monsterkev

Juniors
i think this would have to be his final season
he has a number of young,fast wingers on his tail
nighty would not get a contract at any other club except saints
plus he would have to be the slowest winger in the nrl
i have nothing against him but the talent coming through should be used now

FlameThrower

Bench
Just about everyone is saying the same thing...great clubman, legend, BUT......this should be his last year and we have young guns ready to take his spot.
Least of our concerns really....

SaintPauli

Juniors
See how Nighty goes by round 12. I think he'll know if times up? He is definitely slower and being targeted and overrun by oppositions though.

Drakon

Juniors
I think many of you underestimate Jason. I made a post a couple of months ago. Go dig it up. He had the best stats in the club last year. He is a reliable and international winger. He didn't get good chances last year but still played his heart out and had good stats. He's reliable and the sot of guy you want beside you. At this moment, he's still the best winger in the club! He'll do me.

Latest posts