What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were CEO how would you handle expansion

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
With NRL expansion looking very distant what would be your plans in terms of expansion if you were in charge.

Personally im very pro expansion. I would have the long term goal of having a 20 team strong NRL.
Firstly would be to move the Tigers to Campbeltown permanetly (still can't belive this hasnt happened yet)
Second I would move the Drgaons to Wollongon permanetly (again how has this not happened yet)
They can both still play a game or two at Leichardt/Kograh or ANZ but these teams badly need permanet basis

2019 will be the first year of expansion and would be the West Coast Pirates to give a precense in WA that we badly need plus Brisbane 2, my personal preference is the Brothers bid that will incompase more parts of QLD and based maninly out of Suncorp.

2024 Another two teams will be added to the NRL these will be the Central Coast Bears to give a region the team it badly deserves and NZ 2, I woul eprsoanlly prefer Christchurch as it gives a team to the south island and they have seemd to support league more then Wellington. Warriors would change to Auckland Warriors

Future relocation - As the years go on if a team is struggling badly (and I mean worse then any team is now) in terms of fan support they should look to relocate to Adelaide which by these stage the NRL should have helped raise the presece and popularity of the sport in SA. I would also be intrigued with the idea of a team in PNG. A rugby league mad country with 7 million people needs to be used better. Perhaps we could expand to 21 and have everyone play each other once for 20 games per year.

Thats my dream scenario if I was in charge. Im interested to hear your thoughts

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd have announced it 2013 for a 2016 introduction of 2 new teams ready to sell in the 2018 tv negotiations.

Then I'd be planning for two more in 2022 ready for the 2023 deal.

I'd sit in my office and watch YouTube videos all morning, then a couple of hours out for lunch, back to the office to plan my next holiday, knock off early and if at any stage anyone asks me about expansion plans I'd say I was committed to growing the sport of rugby league but there are no plans to expand during the current Tv deal.

I even applied for the job recently and attached this manifesto and they replied that this role is already being filled.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd sit in my office and watch YouTube videos all morning, then a couple of hours out for lunch, back to the office to plan my next holiday, knock off early and if at any stage anyone asks me about expansion plans I'd say I was committed to growing the sport of rugby league but there are no plans to expand during the current Tv deal.

I even applied for the job recently and attached this manifesto and they replied that this role is already being filled.

Sad but true lol

Marlins

Juniors
With NRL expansion looking very distant what would be your plans in terms of expansion if you were in charge.

Personally im very pro expansion. I would have the long term goal of having a 20 team strong NRL.
Firstly would be to move the Tigers to Campbeltown permanetly (still can't belive this hasnt happened yet)
Second I would move the Drgaons to Wollongon permanetly (again how has this not happened yet)
They can both still play a game or two at Leichardt/Kograh or ANZ but these teams badly need permanet basis

2019 will be the first year of expansion and would be the West Coast Pirates to give a precense in WA that we badly need plus Brisbane 2, my personal preference is the Brothers bid that will incompase more parts of QLD and based maninly out of Suncorp.

2024 Another two teams will be added to the NRL these will be the Central Coast Bears to give a region the team it badly deserves and NZ 2, I woul eprsoanlly prefer Christchurch as it gives a team to the south island and they have seemd to support league more then Wellington. Warriors would change to Auckland Warriors

Future relocation - As the years go on if a team is struggling badly (and I mean worse then any team is now) in terms of fan support they should look to relocate to Adelaide which by these stage the NRL should have helped raise the presece and popularity of the sport in SA. I would also be intrigued with the idea of a team in PNG. A rugby league mad country with 7 million people needs to be used better. Perhaps we could expand to 21 and have everyone play each other once for 20 games per year.

Thats my dream scenario if I was in charge. Im interested to hear your thoughts
I like the idea of a brothers team with half the home games played st Suncorp and the other half in towns/cities like Sunshine Coast, Redcliffe, Mackay, Cairns,Rocky

Ideally, they'd have some sort of criteria that a new team brings in.

Region / market saturation
New fans / market
New sponsors
Benefit to TV deal / scheduling
Financials

The NRL is in an envious position where they have at least these markets to look at and develop:
* Perth
* Adelaide
* Central Coast
* Brisbane 2 and 3
* NZ 2 and 3
* Regional Qld
* PNG
* Pacific Islands
* Singapore
* Hong Kong

It seems since Ribot and Super League, 'Vision' is a dirty word.

We bag AFL but at least they're sowing the seeds, and we'll see how successful they'll be.

And I'm not suggesting for one moment ANY current team should die or relocate. And I'm not suggesting for one moment Sydney region should still have 8 full teams. But surely, the NRL works on a plan and sticks to it. Teams come and go.

This is from a thread from Sept 15, 2016:
I truly believe if distribution was right you'd have:

North shore and peninsula - Manly
South - Cronulla
City - roosters
ANZ - Souths, dogs
Parramatta
Penrith
Wollongong / South coast - Saints
Macarthur, Campbelltown - Tigers.

But the nrl and clubs need to lock these in and support, nurture, grow.

siv

First Grade
Define the type of competition you want and number of rounds and finals

For me this is

18 teams 25 rounds 8 team finals

I would promote highest placed Qld Cup team and Perth in 2020

I would set a 2000 juniors criteria

Where clubs can form a affiliation with a country district but need to play 2 matches a year there

Then establish a "promotion playoff round robin series" Qld Cup NSW Cup NZ Cup winners and Wooden Spoon team at Wooden Spoon home ground

Series winner promoted looser demoted

All expansion bids to field teams in 2nd Tier comps and win their way to promotion

But set a timetable for promotion relegation like 2022

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Dragons to Woollongong
Tigers to Campbeltown
Perth & Brisbane 2 admitted to NRL ASAP
Fiji admitted to NSWRL ASAP
NZL2 & Adelaide added just before next TV deal negotiations

NRL umbrella then covers:
QLD × 4
NSW × 10
ACT
VIC
SA
WA
NZL × 2
and two Pacific sides in the second tier but with full time pro squads like the Hunters are now.

Adelaide may be a little soon but it gives us a good national spread which is good for PR and the TV deal. We also have opened up pathways for playing talent in 3 other countries and strengthened the international game at the same time. May also encourage Samoa and Tonga to bid for inclusion

alien

Referee
20 teams. 19 rounds. Top 8 finals system

South Sydney Rabbitohs
Manly - Central Coast Sea Eagles
St George Illawarra Dragons
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Wests Tigers
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Sharks
Perth Roosters
Gold Coast Titans
Brisbane Broncos
Sunshine Coast Falcons
North Queensland Cowboys
Auckland Warriors
Wellington
Christchurch
American Anacondas (based in Hawaii)

jim_57

Staff member
NRL level expansion and Aus/NZ expansion has been done to death, but in the medium term look at Perth, Bris 2, NZ2 & Adelaide. Sydney team moving 1/3 to 1/2 games to Central Coast and clubs adopting "second homes" in cities without regular NRL games.

Lower levels is where I'd really like to see teams branch out. Every kid with talent in Australia, NZ and the Pacific should have a pretty direct oath to NRL if they have the talent to make it. Some ways I'd look at doing this would be development officers obviously but club partnerships with nations unable to sustain a pro or semi-pro side in the shirt/medium term.

Add Fiji and NZ2 to NSW Cup, and perhaps a second PNG side, Hawaii and/or 3rd NZ side down the line. Then eother with these teams or other NSW/QLD cup teams create direct links with the uncovered areas like Samoa, Tinga, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia etc for player pathways to the semi-pro RL and perhaps the ocassional trial game played in these areas.

Hawaii is definitely worth looking at for trial NRL games as soon as possible. Ditto South Africa, bound to be some players more suited to League wasting away in lower leagues and some outside influence may really help SARL with their struggle for recognition.

Last but not least, develop an Asian strategy to go alongside the Pacific Strategy and have long term goals to build a presence in Asian countries. Start with trial games and helping to develop domestic competitions, in time look at NRL games and partnerships with Asian cities. Long term look at NRL sides but not before a lot of ground work is put in.

Of course there may always be variables like a Toronto Wolfpack style scenario that could force things on a bit quicker, with any luck the Wolfpack will succeed and some people with influence may look to an NRL alternative in Asia.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would the NRL be better serviced creating and resourcing a NSW/Qlnd cup level competition in NZ rather than adding more NZ teams to Australian comps? Is there enough talent for a 8-10 team comp at that level in NZ? Eventually add PI teams into the comp from Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands etc?

Maybe each team could be directly linked to an existing NRL club that has traditionally looked to NZ ie Melbourne, Canterbury, Manly etc to create a direct pathway.

Seems we invest little in strengthening and growing one of the main sources of NRL talent, NZ.

You could then have a tri comp winners tournament at season end.

20 teams - 19 games plus a bye before a top 8 playoff system.
Mid season three week international window for Australia/New Zealand 3 match series, England, PI series etc.
Origin to happen as it currently does, leading into the international window.
I'd introduce a hot potato trophey ala the Ranfurley Shield in NZ rugby which must be defended every time a team plays at home in the regular season.
Post season is rep season, big tournaments, tours etc.
9s to rotate to a new city every year preseason, 1 - major centre (Aus), 2 - major centre (Auckland), 3 - development region (Aus/NZ), 4 - global development (Hong Kong, Singapore etc)

Teams would be:

QLD - 4
Sydney - 6
Central Coast NSW
Hobart
Newcastle
Melbourne
Canberra
Perth
Adelaide
Auckland
Christchurch
PNG

Ideally alongside a promotion relegation between the winners of the NSW, QLD and what would be cool would be viable NZ and Pacific Leagues, building toward a Southern Hemisphere dream league by 2040...dreams are free eh.

jim_57

Staff member
Would the NRL be better serviced creating and resourcing a NSW/Qlnd cup level competition in NZ rather than adding more NZ teams to Australian comps? Is there enough talent for a 8-10 team comp at that level in NZ? Eventually add PI teams into the comp from Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands etc?

Maybe each team could be directly linked to an existing NRL club that has traditionally looked to NZ ie Melbourne, Canterbury, Manly etc to create a direct pathway.

Seems we invest little in strengthening and growing one of the main sources of NRL talent, NZ.

You could then have a tri comp winners tournament at season end.

I like that idea and it should definitely be a goal medium-long term IMO.

Even it starts as an NZ/Pacific Conference of NSW Cup until the numbers are there to go it alone. Fiji could play in that division as well.

Auckland × 2, Wellington, Christchurch, Fiji. Not sure Tonga, Samoa or any other Pacific Island would ever be feasible but they could definitely partner with a 2nd tier team to have a game or 2 played there and provide talent for the team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Was holidaying in Cook Islands recently and despite it being a tiny population they had a number of RL teams, probably nearly as many as Perth has, picking the best players and giving them the infrastructure resources to step up a level from their current league could be possible and would cement RL above Union on the main island. At moment my viewing was Union and League on par and probably sharing same players mostly on Rarotonga

jim_57

Staff member
Was holidaying in Cook Islands recently and despite it being a tiny population they had a number of RL teams, probably nearly as many as Perth has, picking the best players and giving them the infrastructure resources to step up a level from their current league could be possible and would cement RL above Union on the main island. At moment my viewing was Union and League on par and probably sharing same players mostly on Rarotonga

Definitely, a partnership with an NZ based team coukd do that sufficiently I think, same with Tonga & Samoa, host a game there and source players but permanently based in NZ would be the only viable way to go for now I think.

Marlins

Juniors
A NZ Cup like in WA with 8 teams should be in place already.

A Perth & NT teams in the Qcup should be a goal.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
I like the idea of the 20 teams, 19 rounds, midyear international 3 week window. The extra 4 teams at the moment would be 2 NZ sides, one of which has a strong link (4 games per year) with the pacific islands. 1 in QLD, 1 in Perth. Pump consistent money into the NZ sides development from extra TV revenue you get from NZ. Also Fiji in the NSW cup, again support them as much as possible.

If possible i would try and lure a Sydney club too Perth and Adelaide and then with the spot that would then be left over (because you then don't actually add a team for Perth) hmmmm i think... Melbourne 2 or Tasmania because you get the jump on the AFL.

None of this will happen though because the current clubs demand that all the money goes to them so they can mismanage their clubs. They wont let the pie be cut up into more slices and thus hold the game back from it's true potential!

Morotti

Juniors
Hobart is a non starter. The afl arent even looking for a team down there so i highly doubt the nrl can have one.

Adelaide to me seems a waste. A small area and doesnt bring you much in the way of added numbers.

Perth definitely. Brings another timezone into play and makes the game truly national.

20 teams who play each other twice is my preference. Pipe dream i know.

Extra teams would be:
Perth
Png
Fiji
New zealand

I would like to see a second team in brisbane and perhaps one day havr another in melbourne. But the above areas are much more important in my opinion.

Although whether png and fiji can have teams is questionable and depends on their economy etc also as they need to attract good players.

The nrl will look to perth next in the next ten years. It is the logical option.

Nz is also logical if the warriors can get their act together.

I like the idea of a representative window. I would play the following games during a three week period in the middle of the season:
State of origin
City vs country nsw
City va country qld
Fiji vs png vs tonga vs samoa
And i like the idea of an australian aborigines team vs nz maoris but would depend on depth of players given a lot of the australian aborigines would play for the other teams. Still something to consider.

That gives you five/six games at least on the weekends.

Then at the end of the season you play your internationals.

jim_57

Staff member
Not many people have touched on juniors (myself included). To me having an inclusive and thorough junior program is just as important, if not more important than the QLD/NSW Cup structures.

As we have seen with PNG Hunters, a few players have been picked off for not much combined NRL game time. Reality is 95%+ of NRL club scouting would be done at junior level these days, which is why young players from all over Australia & Pacific should be able to show their talent young.

PNG Hunters fielding junior teams in associated QRL junior comps could be the biggest thing to ever happen to PNGRL. Copy and paste that with Fiji. That's why I think club partnerships to cover Pacific countries is a must, it gives players in these countries a genuine career path to professional RL.

Adding in a comprehensive junior International program could be the best investment the RLIF could make medium/long term as well.

Latest posts