What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2016 NSW Origin Team

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Sorry what evidence have you presented? I just see your opinions regarding Pearce's abilities. Where are the facts? Try assist stats? Tackling percentage? Missed tackle counts? Tackle counts? I suggest you practice what you preach as you have not presented any evidence at all, merely stating opinion i.e. "Pearce has displayed all of the skills to be a hooker. He is very fit, he is a good defender, he is a great kicker, he can pass with accuracy and he is reasonably quick." Great evidence :rolleyes:

I just think we will have to agree to disagree on this matter.

I gave logical reasoning for my opinion champ, not just "hes not the GOAT so its impossible" silly rhetoric

Getting back to the real reason we are looking at Pearce for hooker is the absolute lack of decent options NSW have to choose from there.

Last edited:
I gave logical reasoning for my opinion champ, not just "hes not the GOAT so its impossible" silly rhetoric

Getting back to the real reason we are looking at Pearce for hooker is the absolute lack of decent options NSW have to choose from there.

I know what logic is thanks. That is not what I said in my previous post. I said evidence. You presented no evidence. You presented opinion. It looks like you just ignored my previous post where I said "Sorry what evidence have you presented?" as your reply ignore its entire content.

Fact is you have presented no evidence at all! You just retype the same stuff which is opinion.

You are entitled to it, but please things like "his a good passer" (for example) is not fact, it is opinion. Further, if you want to get down to specifics, what is a "good" passer? Good compared to what? To whom? It is meaningless in the context as you have no comparative basis.

You want to harp on about me bringing up Andrew Johns. Thing is how many players were able to do what he did, namely go from being a starting halfback in his club side to being an Origin Hooker without any training other than in the lead up to Origin games? As far as I am aware, he is the only one to do it. Hence if you could not grasp the point I was making that it takes someone of his ability to do make that kind of transition so successfully, in such a short period of time, at Origin level, then that is not my problem, just yours. If it was so easy, more people would have done it at Origin level wouldn't they?

As you seem to want to disregard what I said and just harp on about your opinion v my opinion, yet insist your opinion is "evidence", then there is no point discussing this further as you seem to not comprehend written English.

Go back to your cave and talk to Robin.

p.s.

Yes I know why people were talking about Pearce as a possible NSW origin hooker. Unlike some people I can read and more importantly comprehend what was said. Just I think it a bad idea as I don't think Mitchell Pearce will make a good hooker.

soc123_au

Staff member
Difference is, Wallace did it at club level. He had time to train, and more than 3 games to play the position. In fact he started at hooker in Round 2 last year, and played 7 straight games there, reverted to halfback for 3 weeks, then was at hooker the rest of the season. That is different from doing it in an Origin series. You are comparing apples and oranges there.

I've seen more of Mitchell Pearce play than you probably have (as I follow the Roosters and am a season ticketholder, whilst you I'm guessing support someone else). Based on what I have seen of him over his career to date, I do not think he would make the transition from a club halfback to a starting State of Origin hooker. That is the issue, being a club halfback all of a sudden thrust into playing hooker at Origin level.

Wallace smashed it at hooker pretty much immediately. Seggy getting on the cans with the bikies was just a stroke of good luck for us. Gave us some cap room and a replacement that was just as good but in different ways. Yes, I'm a Panthers supporter.

It's rare for me to miss a game, but no doubt you would be watching Pearce more closely than I do. I see him as a very similar player to Wallace, that's why I think he could make the move successfully. As much as I have bagged the bloke over his performances in origin, he is a tenacious f**ker & that is half the battle. Good service out of dummy half, point the pigs in the right direction & tackle, tackle, tackle. Maybe relieve a bit of pressure if a kick from dummy half is on, or if he sees something is on. Take the pressure to create scoring plays away from him & I honestly think he could shine.

Besides, the other options are uninspiring or too old.

Wallace smashed it at hooker pretty much immediately. Seggy getting on the cans with the bikies was just a stroke of good luck for us. Gave us some cap room and a replacement that was just as good but in different ways. Yes, I'm a Panthers supporter.

It's rare for me to miss a game, but no doubt you would be watching Pearce more closely than I do. I see him as a very similar player to Wallace, that's why I think he could make the move successfully. As much as I have bagged the bloke over his performances in origin, he is a tenacious f**ker & that is half the battle. Good service out of dummy half, point the pigs in the right direction & tackle, tackle, tackle. Maybe relieve a bit of pressure if a kick from dummy half is on, or if he sees something is on. Take the pressure to create scoring plays away from him & I honestly think he could shine.

Besides, the other options are uninspiring or too old.

I can understand that there aren't many options at hooker for NSW. If it is tried it may come off, I'm just stating what I think as I know are you. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see eh :)

soc123_au

Staff member
I can understand that there aren't many options at hooker for NSW. If it is tried it may come off, I'm just stating what I think as I know are you. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see eh :)

In the meantime you can sleep soundly knowing my opinions will have no bearing on NSW selections. ha ha. I'm sure we can all agree on no Pearce in the halves & no Wobbie anywhere.

Clifferd

Coach
Moses was really good the whole year, not just the backend of it.

Eh he was ok the 1st half, an absolute freak the 2nd half

When Teddy and Brooks were out it became a one man band and I'm pretty sure Moses won the Tigers atleast 5-6 games on his own individual brilliance

Eh he was ok the 1st half, an absolute freak the 2nd half

When Teddy and Brooks were out it became a one man band and I'm pretty sure Moses won the Tigers atleast 5-6 games on his own individual brilliance

Maybe he kinda faded during the middle of the season but he started the year with a bang, still remember that fend he put on Marty Tapau in 2nd game of the season.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Mighty Matt did last game and killed it

Fair point. Although you and I both know Mighty Matt has long been tipped for such a switch, and he plays as a five-eighth in attack for Penrith, so it wasn't as new as a cursory glance at jersey numbers might suggest.

Clifferd

Coach
Where does Hayne go if he warrants selection?

I don't think Tedesco will be dethroned as fullback unless injured, wing spots seemed pretty tied up with Mansour/Ferguson/Morris/Trobvjoecic or however you spell it

Centres you have Jack Bird/Leulia/Jennings/Morris/Croker

In the halves you have Maloney/Moylan/Pearce/Renoylds and then the possibility of a Moses and Cleary if they play out of their skins the first half of the season

NSW backline is pretty well contested when you think about it except for fullback

betcats

Referee
IF Hayne is playing well he will be in the side, they will just leave someone out likely one of Dugan/Fergo.

betcats

Referee
They wont leave out an in form Hayne either, he's been NSW best for the last decade. He could slide straight into Mansours spot, or Jennings for that matter.

Last edited:

Latest posts