What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Jerseys, Logos, Sponsor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAZF

First Grade
Everyone should have one jersey (the traditional one) and perhaps a 'clash/away' jersey.

Then, for ANZAC Round, WIL round, Indigenous round...the NRL patch on the jersey is decorated / coloured as such.

IE - Indigenous art theme, pink / purple, slouch hat / sombre soldier. And it's all done in the one weekend not hodgepodge.

That's the other extreme. We're a relatively small fish sport and probably shouldn't restrict merchandising so far as much larger sports can afford to. I'd like to see it but realistically we'd lose way too much money from it.

And with Marvel, this is where the NRL should centralise sponsorship. So if they play MARVEL round, that's the main sponsor on everyone's gear for the week. Clubs can then go about worrying about their core business - running a football team.

It would devalue club sponsorships a bit. With lots of non-NRL competitors in Sydney in particular, a league mandated round where they can't feature on the jersey may be enough to push them away from NRL clubs.

That's the other extreme. We're a relatively small fish sport and probably shouldn't restrict merchandising so far as much larger sports can afford to. I'd like to see it but realistically we'd lose way too much money from it.

It would devalue club sponsorships a bit. With lots of non-NRL competitors in Sydney in particular, a league mandated round where they can't feature on the jersey may be enough to push them away from NRL clubs.
I mean nrl organises all sponsors all year.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not necessarily, just having 16 clubs in Marvel jerseys with Marvel on pitch and around the ground would do it and doesn't have to be a negative impact on existing sponsors.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some of the logos, jerseys etc from the WA harmony Nines

16825984_586953251509871_1960907172515392624_o.jpg

16831933_587048898166973_2409680905315070686_n.jpg

16831153_586988468173016_7910345189646527224_n.jpg

Pommy

Coach
Not necessarily, just having 16 clubs in Marvel jerseys with Marvel on pitch and around the ground would do it and doesn't have to be a negative impact on existing sponsors.

Is marvel a sponsor? I always assumed that the clubs or ISC paid to have the marvel theme offset by the shirt sales as a money spinner.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Who makes a jersey should never come into any sort of exclusivity in the NRL.. it is a joke that half the teams will do some merch promo, and the other half won't...

It would nearly be illegal, as 3rd party forcing... the nrl is essentially saying to clubs the only way you are allowed to produce a special jersey is to sign with ISC..

That my friends is trade practices 101

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Having said that, I understand that clubs, the NRL and suppliers should be trying to extract as much commercial value out of the jersey as is reasonably possible. But in this thread of all threads, there should be a concession that its not all gravy.
I would've thought in this thread, varied opinions would be debated.

After all it does say "discussion", not "consensus".

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is marvel a sponsor? I always assumed that the clubs or ISC paid to have the marvel theme offset by the shirt sales as a money spinner.

Unclear, great promotion for Marvel to their key demographic but also great sales for NRL and who doesn't want their brand alongside marvel? Not sure who is paying who for the privilege.

GAZF

First Grade
I would've thought in this thread, varied opinions would be debated.

After all it does say "discussion", not "consensus".
Agreed. The original post I replied to started as follows:

Can people stop saying this cheapens the NRL?

Which to me sounds like an appeal for consensus. I provided a counterpoint.

thorson1987

Coach
Who makes a jersey should never come into any sort of exclusivity in the NRL.. it is a joke that half the teams will do some merch promo, and the other half won't...

It would nearly be illegal, as 3rd party forcing... the nrl is essentially saying to clubs the only way you are allowed to produce a special jersey is to sign with ISC..

Yeah nah.

Kooga

Image-7.jpg

batmanstorm1.jpg

BLK

9158_30338_6436.jpg

Canterbury

bulldogs11starwars2front.png

X Blades

av01.jpg

PaulyTom

Juniors
I like the marvel jerseys. Just think teams should limit the amount of jersey in one season to 3 or 4.
Can people stop saying this cheapens the NRL? Marvel is a hugely popular company. They're a juggernaut. If you look at all time worldwide top grossing movies, #5 is Avengers, #7 is Avengers 2 and #12 is Cap America Civil War. Even something with a dreadful name like Antman reached #1 in the Aussie Box Office for a couple of weeks. Everybody has heard of some Marvel superheroes - Spiderman, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Ironman, the X-Men, Deadpool....... Marvel is an elite company so it does not cheapen our game to be associated with them. In fact, it shows that we have a great sport/competition because prestigious Marvel is onboard with us. Maybe if we had a Myer round, and each team had jerseys based on a different department in that shop then you could say that it is cheapening our game. And plus, the jerseys look great. They're visually appealing. A lot better than adding a tacky superman logo onto the jersey like souffs do.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Given that most manufacturers have produced special jerseys over the past 10-15 years (see @thorson1987's post), your theory is already out the window.

As for "3rd party forcing", ten clubs are with ISC but only eight are doing it. I doubt there was any force involved. Clubs make a killing from these.

Status
Not open for further replies.