What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field

TomRedVRiver

Bench
So amongst all this Charity Shield chat, I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about what people thought of how Jai went.

I wish that he got his hands on the ball more, Widdop kept calling for it on the left and starved the poor kid of early ball. Regardless of that, what do we think, did he do enough to push McCrone out of the 7 and claim the spot for his own? Would you have him in the side?

mickeylane

Bench
If Field can touch the ball 2-3 times in a set of 6 you would see a more potent player - for me Field has a more crisper pass than Widdops and knows how to direct his forwards into gaps and seems to know how to direct them to run better lines.. He touched the ball at best once During each set and was trying to break the line each time which was quite predictable ...Widdop was calling all the ball which was disgraceful because not only was he kicking way too early in the set but he was kicking to the wrong winger - should be directing all high kicks to Mcdonald!

For me Mcrone / Field works much better than MCRONE / WIDDOP or WIDDOP / Field.

Round 1 will be
Mcrone / Widdop w Field on the bench and Mcrone covering 9 as well

John moz

Juniors
If Field can touch the ball 2-3 times in a set of 6 you would see a more potent player - for me Field has a more crisper pass than Widdops and knows how to direct his forwards into gaps and seems to know how to direct them to run better lines.. He touched the ball at best once During each set and was trying to break the line each time which was quite predictable ...Widdop was calling all the ball which was disgraceful because not only was he kicking way too early in the set but he was kicking to the wrong winger - should be directing all high kicks to Mcdonald!

For me Mcrone / Field works much better than MCRONE / WIDDOP or WIDDOP / Field.

Round 1 will be
Mcrone / Widdop w Field on the bench and Mcrone covering 9 as well
Give the kid a chance and hand him the starting no 7 for season. He would handle it frizzell could cover him in defense and widdop can have his last season in no 6. Field could be our next slippery morris and will be ready for next year when ben hunt arrives with a full season in the nrl.

BennyV

Referee
He did ok, IMO showed (further) that he needs a bit of time in Cutters but I liked the fact that he was looking to probe and ordering his outside men around. A couple of things:
- Mary will kill him if he plays first grade. The fact that our attacking plays happen 4m away from the defensive line takes away the effectiveness of his change in pace. We need a lot more work on our attacking structure.
- Souths clearly did their homework on him and shut down his show-and-go a few times, which the Tigpies weren't so good at. Wont be long before other teams pick up on this too and properly jam him, and at this point he doesnt quite have the instinct to preface that with a cheeky pass or step inwards(it will come with experience). Defences in the NRL are much, much more structured and drilled than that in NYC or 9s.
- Starting him on the bench would be close to the dumbest selection decision Mary could make, even more so as it means he'd likely be sitting there for 70 minutes a game. He needs to rack up the kms on the field against men, if he isn't going to start at 7 (and IMO Mann is the best choice for that) then he should be punching out full games for Cutters.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
The problem is Widdop. He is a support player only to a dominant half. IMO he is surplus to our requirements but because of his 'status' can't be dropped.
That's a real shame!
The best solution for me would be to have Mann and Mcrone for maybe half a season with Field playing in Cutters similar to how Penrith treated Cleary.
When the time comes and Field's performances in Cutters demand he be promoted, drop Mcrone and have Field/Mann.
As for Widdop... who cares he has completely lost me.

since77

Juniors
He really was on a hiding to nothing in that game - poor guy. Stuck between having to try too hard and not getting any real opportunity to impress, and coming up with a Widdop style kick, which I'm sure Mc Gregor made note of while ignoring all of Widdop's errors. Still think he needs time in the Cutters so he can ease himself into playing 80 minute games against men.

Widdop is the biggest problem. On form, he should be dropped, but thats just not going to happen.....

I think the best halves combo we could field in round 1 is a perverse one - Nona @ 6 and Mc Crone @ 7 - at least then we have a mix of creative potential and an organising half. Its not ideal, but at least a touch of unpredictability.....

possm

Coach
We seem to be protecting players in their preferred positions at the expense of team performance. Even though Dugan and Widdop may not be with the Dragons in 2018, Mary seems reluctant to move these two players even though they are holding back our attack. For 2017 I would make the following backline changes:

Fullback
Dufty is injured but in 2017 should be blooded at fullback.
Widdop has been below standard at 6 and should either be dropped or moved maybe to fullback until Dufty is fit for selection.
Dugan's future is at centre even though he wants the fullback big dollars.
Widdop / Dufty as fullback.

Wingers
Flo has been a great winger for the Dragons over several years. He is the last remaining player from the 2010 grand final team however, in my opinion his time is up as a first grader and should be our backup winger for 2017.
Macdonald has the size and ability to do a great job on the wing this year. He and Milne make a good combination and should play together on the same side of the field.
Mann was great on the left wing last year however, given we have a number of youngsters waiting for a chance in first grade, I suggest Mann should be selected in the halves for 2017. Given that his contract is up at the end of 2017, now is the time to see if he can be a success in the halves.

Macdonald and a budding youngster to be our wingers.

Centres
Dugan and Milne are our best centres in the Club. In my opinion Milne is our long term right centre however, I'm sure he is talented enough to adjust to left centre for 2017.
Aitken has just signed a 3 year deal with the Dragons. I would like to see him blooded as an edge forward in the Cutters and moved to the bench later in 2017.
Lafai to backup left centre in 2017. Milne to be first choice for right centre if Dugan is unavailable due to injury or rep games.
Dugan and Milne to be our centres.

Halves
In 2017 and again in the CS we have seen what Widdop and McCrone bring to the table in the halves. I believe it's time to select an alternative halves pairing paving the way for one of our halves to pair with Hunt in 2018. To me a halves pairing of Mann and Field should be selected in round 1 and persevered with for the first 4 - 6 rounds.
Mann and Field to be our halves.

Widdop
Macdonald
Dugan
Milne
New youngster
Field
Mann

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
It was very frustrating to look for Field's involvement in the second half. Wanting him to get the ball and wanting him to do well. To be honest, with Widdop getting so much ball, as others have noted, I would not have noticed Field if I had not watched for him. I agree with Benny V's comment that Field would be better off in the Cutters for his own development. But I can imagine the possibility of Mary selecting him on the bench and throwing him into the game once it is lost or alternately leaving him on the bench the whole game if it's a tight one.

Many Forum members have noted the real problem (other than the coach) is Widdop. Kicking bombs to the left instead of to Nene on the right was just idiotic. I would have thought kicking for Nene would be a fairly simple one line in a game plan. I left the stadium depressed, thinking of what it indicates for the season ahead. Yet enough opportunities were created that with better passing and bombing for Nene the game could have been much closer.

At this stage, I would be saying to Field, "Jai, you are the future for this club. But we want you to continue your development in the lower grades for now. Next season's 5/8 spot alongside Hunt is there for the taking. Be ready to grasp it with both hands."

I would go with McCrone at the moment to provide some direction with Havili on the bench to provide some spark as opponents tire.

I was at WIN last week and the Olympic Stadium for the Charity Shield. The 2 venues just don't compare in terms of spectator enjoyment. At WIN I was close to the action. On Sunday I felt so much more like a distant observer. 12,000? So much for the RGRV!

Prometheus

Juniors
I don't understand why we have both Field and Hunt contracted for 2018 and 2019. I doubt Hunt would be moving 800Km just to be made to change positions, and surely Field is too small to be a five-eighth.

possm

Coach
I have a high opinion of Field. In my opinion he is a versatile and talented player who would be an asset to the first grade side at 1, 2, 6, 7 or 14.

Prometheus

Juniors
I guess if they came out and said that they don't intend to re-sign Widdop, it would make a little more sense to me.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I guess if they came out and said that they don't intend to re-sign Widdop, it would make a little more sense to me.

There should be zero intention for the club to re-sign Widdop. With the exception of maybe his first season he has been a disastrous signing for the club and offered very little value for money.

Walpole

Juniors
I don't see the point in playing Field at 7 when he won't play there next year. If he's to be the long term 6 then let him get some development in that position against NSW cup opposition, as far away from McGregor as possible. Then perhaps look to give him a run later in the season when (hoprfully) Mary is drowning his sorrows in the Wollongong pubs.

I like the idea of Widdop at 7 (let's face it, no matter how bad he plays he won't be dropped). Then we can just let him go when his contract's up and Ben Hunt can take over.

Prometheus

Juniors
Why should a 5/8th be bigger than a halfback? If he's big enough to play one then he's big enough to play the other.

I don't know. Five-Eighths just always seem to be bigger than their halfback partners. Lewis and Langer, Daley and Stuart, Fittler and Johns, Kenny and Sterling.

Latest posts