What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial team week 2 V Parra

Kilkenny

Coach
Interesting to see Langi around the first grade side. He has plenty of potential injuries/confidence have hampered him. Can play though.

Came off the bench in the reserve grade and I couldn't quite figure what position he was filling? He didn't seem to be operating in the normal half /five eighth position. You would like to think he could offer something to us as he is obviously hoping for a change of fortune and opportunity to reinvent himself.

hindy111

Post Whore
Pou is right. Your attack is way better and will get even better as combos gel. But we held penrith at bay.
Sure your defense was good but against a team that has ordinary attack.
But hey its a trial. My dream would be both teams top 4.

TheFrog

Coach
Pou is right. Your attack is way better and will get even better as combos gel. But we held penrith at bay.
Sure your defense was good but against a team that has ordinary attack.
But hey its a trial. My dream would be both teams top 4.
Last week the Panthers were "we" unless I'm mistaken. Looks like someone has returned to the dark side. Anyway good luck in the season ahead.

Back in the late '60s, after Newtown had won the spoon, my best mate and I (aged about 12) agreed to become Newtown supporters. I don't know about him but for me it lasted until I watched the two cellar dwellers play at Penrith. Since then I've never wavered. Newtown were my second team though, until they got the flick.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Don't you worry come round 20 if Parra aren't in finals I will be a we as well.
I tend to get to more Penrith games to . And I watch every Parra/Penrith game. I am however an Eel. I do love what the Duke has done with Penrith.
Hail the duke.

GongPanther

Referee
You certainly beat our reserve grade side when it was in front of you. 12-0 in about 20 minutes.

On the Penrith Twitter feed of the game,and I'll repeat again for the record: "Penrith scored their last try in the 70th minute. Both teams replaced players on the 76th minute."

That apparently,moment for moment,is what happened. Granted,Ryhno was at the ground,and I should have taken this on board with more conviction.But either you and Ryhno are fabricating the scenario,or the Penrith employee doing the Twitter,twisted the situation a wee bit.

I myself could only go on what was in front of me at that "live time".

soc123_au

Staff member
Honestly, who cares? Both sides of the argument are just as pointless as each other. It was a trial.
Its like Souffs & Merge fans pretending not to give a f**k about the charity shield when we know that they really think it is more important than having teeth or an unmerged team. Lighten up f**kers, its going to be a good year out west.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
On the Penrith Twitter feed of the game,and I'll repeat again for the record: "Penrith scored their last try in the 70th minute. Both teams replaced players on the 76th minute."

That apparently,moment for moment,is what happened. Granted,Ryhno was at the ground,and I should have taken this on board with more conviction.But either you and Ryhno are fabricating the scenario,or the Penrith employee doing the Twitter,twisted the situation a wee bit.

I myself could only go on what was in front of me at that "live time".
This guy is very reliable: http://thecumberlandthrow.com/2017/02/18/live-blog-nrl-trial-vs-penrith-panthers/

I was going off his commentary. Why would Penrith's media staff know or care about what Parra were doing?
Try scored by Bevan French. Conversion successful by Gutherson.

Eels lock the scores up at 6-all

60min gone
Then
Oh shit! Gower has just steamed onto the kickoff ball and knocked the ever-loving daylight out of a Penrith defender. He has been trampled over and left for dead. Play immediately comes to a halt as you would expect. Trainers are flying onto the field to attend to the downed Panther.

Akuola is the man that has been left strewn on the ground by Gower. He manages to get up on his own accord and is applauded off the field.

The changes have been rung through the Blue & Gold ranks in the break of play. Robson, Aukafolau and Tuha are on for Gutherson, Jennings and French.
Then
James Gammidge is also on now as Semi is wrapped in cotton wool.
Then
Try scored by Lelani Latu. Conversion successful by Cleary.

Penrith lead 12-6

67min gone
Then
Tepai is the only regular NRL player out there at this stage. Alvaro, Gower, O’Brien, Robson and King are the other capped players I can see.

Penrith still have still have a full strength team out there and take advantage as they make a break down our right-edge.
Then Penrith score their final try. Whare (a NZ international) vs Gammidge (a Wenty player with a day job).

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
I was following the game on the Cumberland throw blog. Did Penrith even play? I got the impression Parramatta beat "some merkins" 50-0.
Anyway lets all move on and be grateful they let us win.

mxlegend99

Referee
This guy is very reliable: http://thecumberlandthrow.com/2017/02/18/live-blog-nrl-trial-vs-penrith-panthers/

I was going off his commentary. Why would Penrith's media staff know or care about what Parra were doing?

Then

Then

Then

Then

Then Penrith score their final try. Whare (a NZ international) vs Gammidge (a Wenty player with a day job).
So defensive over a trial. Were you like this after Panthers beat you in the 9s with our reserve grade team?

Whare had played 60 minutes of football since the 2015 season. He got as much game time as we could give him because he's missed so much footy and his body needs to be tested.

Panthers side was stronger. But both teams at full strength Panthers are leaving players out who would easily get a run in your team.

franklin2323

Immortal
So defensive over a trial. Were you like this after Panthers beat you in the 9s with our reserve grade team?

Whare had played 60 minutes of football since the 2015 season. He got as much game time as we could give him because he's missed so much footy and his body needs to be tested.

Panthers side was stronger. But both teams at full strength Panthers are leaving players out who would easily get a run in your team.

Exactly. French, Radradra etc played 9's so needed less game time then our guys. It's what trials are for teams are at different stages

mxlegend99

Referee
The main thing for both teams is the defence was strong for early season and the star players got through it fit and healthy.

This time last year we lost Moylan after the same game... and had Will Smith for 3 weeks.

betcats

Referee
I won't be satisfied until this parra scum concedes the panthers are the club they support in heaven and Phil Gould is very likely our lord and saviour reborn.

franklin2323

Immortal
The main thing for both teams is the defence was strong for early season and the star players got through it fit and healthy.

This time last year we lost Moylan after the same game... and had Will Smith for 3 weeks.

that's all I look for in trials. Defensive line across the board as that you can control despite the injuries that will come.

I don't remember as looking so good before a season before. Solid hitouts for most of the squad Merrin and JFH excluded. Defence strong from depth players

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So defensive over a trial.
Why are you so defensive over the fact our reserve grade side played the final 20.
Were you like this after Panthers beat you in the 9s with our reserve grade team?
We struggled to score points without Norman in the Nines too. Because of that we had to take more risks and conceded more possession. No surprises there.

You could say that about any team though. We would take Tamou, Merrin, Moylan and maybe Cleary and Mansour. But Radradra, Jennings, Norman and Ma'u would walk into your side.

Copperhead

Juniors
You could say that about any team though. We would take Tamou, Merrin, Moylan and maybe Cleary and Mansour. But Radradra, Jennings, Norman and Ma'u would walk into your side.

We have higher standards than Radradra and Norman could meet. We let Jennings go when he was twice the player he is now, and wouldn't want him back. Ma'u.....seriously?

soc123_au

Staff member
Why are you so defensive over the fact our reserve grade side played the final 20.

We struggled to score points without Norman in the Nines too. Because of that we had to take more risks and conceded more possession. No surprises there.

Norman would get a start now over TMM, Jennings, not over Peachey, Whare or Blake. Radradra would get a start over DWZ if he wasnt pissing off to france & Mau would get a spot on the bench over Akouola.

I would consider French over DWZ as well. Pretty close call on who would win the spot though.

mxlegend99

Referee

We kicked Jennings out. We sacked segs just for associating wih Norman and his dodgy friends. Semi is scum and Ma'u wouldn't get in ahead of Carty, Yeo, Merrin and JFH.

Semi is the only player that would make a big difference and he's the lowest of low.

We have standards for off field behavior too. Eels dont care about rules. Happy to cheat and happy to keep bad role models around

Latest posts