What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

getsmarty

Immortal
McInnes up for the NRL grind

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

20 Feb 2017, 11:03 a.m.
r0_0_2184_3180_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Cameron McInnes played 70 minutes against the Rabbitohs on Sunday

ST GEORGE Illawarra rake Cameron McInnes believes a tough preseason has the Dragons ready to play a tough grinding style of football come round one despite their Charity Shield loss to his former club on Sunday.

McInnes was among the Dragons best in churning out 80 minutes but admitted a monster Rabbitohs pack was tough to handle under unlimited interchange rules in place for the trial.

“I’d have loved to push out the 80 but it’s still early in the year and I’m still getting the lungs going,” McInnes said.

“It was unlimited interchange and I think if bodies had to stay on there a bit longer we’d probably come over the top of them at the end.

“We’ve done a lot of training together but it’s just fresh guys coming onto the field at all times so you don’t get that 80-minute grind like you get during the regular season.

“There were some good signs there we’ve just got to execute a bit better. We had some ball on their line but we just didn’t come away with the points and let them off the hook.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4478673/mcinnes-up-for-the-nrl-grind/?cs=3713

emu62

Juniors
I like him. Very strong defensively, quick ball movement from the ground, it's as much as we could ask for from a hooker under this structure. He also seems competitive as f**k, which we need, and is a lot more selective than Rein. Big upgrade, but would still like to see Havili in there to Change it up through the game.
Spot on Benny V, Havili would provide some great variety around the ruck & cant fault McInnes's first up effort

Saintsified

Bench
Understand your frustration regarding Mary

Simple fact is he will develop better cohesion with some players whether Mary is coach or not.

McInnes is an improvement on Rein, no passes at bootlaces yesterday or at players heads or behind them.

It was a refreshing change.
Still think itll be coached out of him, he will be shit before you know it...ala Widdop

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Spot on Benny V, Havili would provide some great variety around the ruck & cant fault McInnes's first up effort
I agree I think having Havili ready for a tired opposition is the way to go...said the same last year but of course Mary gave him limited opportunities

Uplifting

Juniors
Has anyone notice that Cameron McInness seems to always have bed hair? He has it happening even in the fox sports promo shoot that's on the Dragons website. It's towards the back of his head, but at the top...

RufusRex

Post Whore
I like him. Very strong defensively, quick ball movement from the ground, it's as much as we could ask for from a hooker under this structure. He also seems competitive as f**k, which we need, and is a lot more selective than Rein. Big upgrade, but would still like to see Havili in there to Change it up through the game.

I think early season as we blood Field then McCrone needs to be in the 17. If we get to a point where field can start and play 80 then Havili takes the bench spot and McCrone/Widdop can play for the cutters.

BennyV

Referee
I think early season as we blood Field then McCrone needs to be in the 17. If we get to a point where field can start and play 80 then Havili takes the bench spot and McCrone/Widdop can play for the cutters.
Blooding Field should involve a few rounds in the Cutters, he needs kms in his legs against men and he ain't going to get it off the bench. In addition, I maintain that Mann is a better option at this stage, more complete player, already adapted to first grade and should also have his chance to impress in his best position.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Blooding Field should involve a few rounds in the Cutters, he needs kms in his legs against men and he ain't going to get it off the bench. In addition, I maintain that Mann is a better option at this stage, more complete player, already adapted to first grade and should also have his chance to impress in his best position.

If field is not in the team then Havili is on the bench. That is sensible to me.
If/when field comes in then we need to be able to cover him .. that means mcrone
Once field proves he is or is not capable then Havili is back.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Not so sure he was as bad as you say but I do agree re the forward passes.
I said last year Rein suffered from the lack of structure to our forwards and how they play very flat footed in attack.
This was also evident today with them at times not getting far enough back to run properly onto the ball.
If we are not careful Mc Innes will be afflicted with the same issue as befell Rein.

Rein also had to endure two competing five eighths standing both sides of the ruck who demanded the ball at the expense of properly structured attacking plays. This led to numerous breakdowns in communication, and led to an unbalanced perception that Rein provided poor dummy half service.

Old Timer

Coach
Rein also had to endure two competing five eighths standing both sides of the ruck who demanded the ball at the expense of properly structured attacking plays. This led to numerous breakdowns in communication, and led to an unbalanced perception that Rein provided poor dummy half service.
Well summed up.
Rein had some faults but what you posted certainly magnified them.
If he gets on the paddock against in Rd 1 I expect him to go very well.

BringTheNoise

Juniors

There was no unbalanced perception about it. Rein provided poor dummy half service.

hazzbeen

Bench
I was a little disappointed as I saw signs he may be a niggler and have poor discipline.
In the space of 5 mins in the first half I saw him block a tackler from clearing the play the ball and then falling over in the search for a penalty then ....late in the tackle count give away a penalty by making a good tackle then trying to slow the play the ball by hanging on too long.
Hope he gets this out of his game as I think he can be a big improvement on Rein.
We need a player that can get in their faces and niggle the opposition without the penalties . With a bit of luck he might turn out to be another Ennis . I'd be OK with that ....

since77

Juniors

lol. Rein's lack of ability as a competent dummy half was the sole reason he provided poor service. He couldn't even consistently complete a pass onto the chest of a forward taking a standard hitup. Rein will spend most of the year in NSW Cup, where he belongs.

The fact that Rein played 1st grade all of last season when we had a better option in Havili is another indictment on the joke of a coach we have had to endure for the last few years.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
lol. Rein's lack of ability as a competent dummy half was the sole reason he provided poor service. He couldn't even consistently complete a pass onto the chest of a forward taking a standard hitup. Rein will spend most of the year in NSW Cup, where he belongs.

The fact that Rein played 1st grade all of last season when we had a better option in Havili is another indictment on the joke of a coach we have had to endure for the last few years.

Let's all just take a moment to think about the fact that @Saint_JimmyG is blaming Rein's inability to pass on the fact he had 2 halves either side of the ruck calling for the ball at the same time.

BennyV

Referee
A lot of his poor service was to forwards who had to alter their runs in order to catch his passes that were either mistimed, over their head or way in front of them. There is nothing unbalanced about Rein's poor dummy half service. His poor decision making could partially be blamed on the competing halves, however I'm not sure that made him constantly run from dummy half of the 4th and stop our momentum.