What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to Forum - Old Kogarah Boy

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Welcome Kogarah Old Boy.
Former MBK alumni here but after you.
Jeez we could produce some juniors back in the day. Loved the whole 3rd grade concept and definitely made you feel as if you were closer to the teams.
Enjoy

Drakon

Juniors
Welcome to the forum Kogarah Old Boy.

Changa was also my favourite player growing up. Billy Smith was number 2.

I grew up at Rockdale. Went to Rockdale Primary and then to Kogarah High School. We also used to get regularly thrashed but loved playing the game nevertheless. Moved to Jannali when I was 14 and I played for Como. Did a little better there.

Paul Dawson (one of the identical Dawson twins that played for Newtown) was our Sports Master/PE teacher (Chris was also a PE teacher at another school). I remember one day Chris came to our school to visit Paul. Whether by plan or accidentally, I remember him walking through the playground with Paul and the clothes they were wearing were like negatives of each other. One with black shorts and white shirt, the other with white shorts and black shirt etc. It was something I've never forgotten. I know Chris later had dramas and was accused of killing his wife. You can find the story on the net if you Google it.

When at Kogarah High, I remember playing James Cook High at their school oval. Our team kicked the ball through and the JC fullback turned watching the ball in the air singing out 'I've got it, I've got it' and as he turned and ran, ran straight into the goal post - one arm either side of the upright! Boy did he get i! Still makes my blood run cold.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
OKB
Welcome on board.
Used to hate playing KMB teams when I was a kid.
In the old days when we played the knockout comps, every one of your kids was the same size and weight, from the half to the prop to the full back they used to look like a Roman army.
We aways had a fat kid, a skinny kid and someones little brother because we were always short lol.
Hopping on the scales (remember the sliding bar and the counter weights) at KJO making sure you were the correct weight wow such a long long time ago but what a thrill it all was especially when your heroes turned up from time to time.
Loved your story about Changa he was my favourite as you can probably tell.
Good luck to you and enjoy.
Ahh yes the scales OT that brings back memories.....think it was when I was playing 7 stone sevens for Cronulla/ Caringbah or Cronulla RSL cant remember my old coach had me running around the oval with all my gear and 2 raincoats on to make the weight.....ahhhhh the memories

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Hi folks.
Thought l'd better finally get off my backside and join the forum as a whole.
I've been reading the threads for the last couple of years and with the new season all but here, I thought I'd better act.

Not a lot to say except that l'm a babyboomer born and raised in Kogarah, now living on the Gold Coast for the past 27 years.

My father used to run security business ( outside ) at St Gorge Leagues Club back in the late 60's early 70's which allowed me to meet a number of players from that time, none more so than Changa himself.

As a ten year old in 1971, I met Changa at the steps of the club, he signed my ball and l had the pleasure of carrying his football bag with him over to Kogarah Oval for the game that day so it's fair to say, I bleed red & white ........ so do my family.

As an old Kogarah Maro's boy, Kenny Boothroyd ( Dragons trainer ) was our PE teacher and at any given time during the week, players with injuries would visit Kenny in the gym to get some assistance from him .......... ahhh, those were the days!

Sincerely hope we have a decent season for 2017.

Anyway, that's my bit done & dusted, good to be onboard.
Welcome aboard mate glad to have some new blood on here.....it wont take you long to realise most of us are a lit bit toey at the moment especialy in our present predicament but we all have the bestinterests of our club at heart

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Yes, the inter school competitions were very competitive.
Had many a friend from James Cook and used to hang out down Sans Souci way.

Use to have a few drinks at Mick Morlans but the main hangout was the Georges Sailing Club.
I can still remember driving home with a gut full through the back streets and across Rocky Point Road, snake up along Beverly Park Golf course, back up pass Spooner Park to where we lived on the highway, just near the start of Rocky Point Road.

Of course, the St George Leagues Club was another favourite hang out. Eventually met the future wife there.

I was trying to cast the brain cells back to about 74, still remember seeing Changa at the school with his hands on his hips .......... had nutchrusher tight jeans on, a Hawaiian shirt ( they were all the fashion back then ) and of course, surf beads around the neck ......... classic look!

Of course, I think we were all guilty of crimes against fashion!

Anyway, cheers again.
Sound like we basically drank at the same watering holes and took the same route home ,except that My mate and I used to stop in at his place at Bonanza Pde off Rocky Point Rd to finish off sme long necks before I made my way across to Taren Point then Caringbah ...back then there was no bridge just the old vehicle punt....used to see Changa, Smithy Chook and Kingy regularly having a quiet one at the Gymea pub near where I lived at the time.....sorry to bore others on here just reminiscing..your comments bought back a lot of memories

Old Timer

Coach
Ahh yes the scales OT that brings back memories.....think it was when I was playing 7 stone sevens for Cronulla/ Caringbah or Cronulla RSL cant remember my old coach had me running around the oval with all my gear and 2 raincoats on to make the weight.....ahhhhh the memories
Shit I laughed when I saw that as it was just so reflective of how it was.
The old plastic rain coat would set up a sauna bath inside and then you would hit the scales, sometimes back around the oval for a few more laps, then finally get the rubber stamp on the inside of the right forearm and then tuck straight into a hot dog and a milk shake or a pie and coke.
Once you has the stamp nobody gave a shit for the rest of the day.
The "glad garbage" bag unfortunately put paid to the raincoats.
You'd also remember the "boot pool" if not for that 75% of the kids in our neighbour hood wouldn't have been able to play.
Mum always used to make us spit and posh our boots at the end of the season and put new white tape in for the laces.
No way mum was going to have anyone say anything bad about what we used to put in the box.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Sound like we basically drank at the same watering holes and took the same route home ,except that My mate and I used to stop in at his place at Bonanza Pde off Rocky Point Rd to finish off sme long necks before I made my way across to Taren Point then Caringbah ...back then there was no bridge just the old vehicle punt....used to see Changa, Smithy Chook and Kingy regularly having a quiet one at the Gymea pub near where I lived at the time.....sorry to bore others on here just reminiscing..your comments bought back a lot of memories

Never boring BSE .
Love hearing other saints supporters memories.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Shit I laughed when I saw that as it was just so reflective of how it was.
The old plastic rain coat would set up a sauna bath inside and then you would hit the scales, sometimes back around the oval for a few more laps, then finally get the rubber stamp on the inside of the right forearm and then tuck straight into a hot dog and a milk shake or a pie and coke.
Once you has the stamp nobody gave a shit for the rest of the day.
The "glad garbage" bag unfortunately put paid to the raincoats.
You'd also remember the "boot pool" if not for that 75% of the kids in our neighbour hood wouldn't have been able to play.
Mum always used to make us spit and posh our boots at the end of the season and put new white tape in for the laces.
No way mum was going to have anyone say anything bad about what we used to put in the box.

I do remember now you mention it...and there was no way Mum was going to let me play without a clean pair of undies just in case I got injured and ended up at the local hospital....shit you've started something now I could go on forever lol

Coffs dragon

Bench
I lived right near the Seabreeze Hotel & started drinking there around 1974. The Dragons team under Chang as captain/coach use to go there after training sessions at Todd Park.
My God they enjoyed a quiet ale or two and were a very close and happy team.
Billy Smith was front & centre in everything and was the team shit stirrer. Harry Eden, John Pead, Graham Bowen, Roy Ferguson and a young Teddy Goodwin.
Even though they all enjoyed a good drink and a laugh, Changa was the Man and you could see the absolute respect they gave him and held onto his every word.
I got to see some very funny stuff go down......way before social media!!!

ALSGI

Bench
We moved to Jubilee Ave in 69 and I used to love watching the crowds build on game day as they walked to the ground walking down from Carlton Station, we used to yell out, wave flags and cheer, especially to the poor old losing fans of other clubs on their way home - or we'd hide inside if we lost of course.

Also remember watching the FG team jog up and down the length of Jubilee Ave for their training sessions after work of course, I think twice a week back then. They used to end their training sessions by jogging up the Ave, as a team and straight into Carlton Pub!!!! Then, a few hours later when I was in bed I'd be woken by them leaving at closing time as a team, often with the Police in their Holden HR Panel vans / Paddy vans to make sure they left. Saw many of our greats get taken away by the cops too.
Our neighbour worked at the pub and the stories I could tell you...... Also, the club paid for their beer (but only beer).

Now that's a high performance update right there.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
John King - there's a good player. Wish we had him now. My sister used to cut his wife's (Sandra I believe was her name) hair.
Met my wife at St George Leagues Club. Also used to drink at Mick Moylan's, Brighton pub, Georges River sailing club. Oh and the Seabreeze hotel.

Drakon
The sleazebreeze many a great night there.
We use go to the Kings Head Tavern because they had live bands and then onto sleazebreeze.
Great memories.
We you to have recovery days on Sunday at Mick moylans

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Mick Moylans Pub......what a classic. Arrive via a tinnie on the water and leave with a gut full of liquid tininies consumed without fear of DUI. Gotta love the old days!
Yep back when we used to have 3 grades playing my mates an I (there was about 10 of us ) set off on a Sat first to Moylans then I think to The Bat & Ball before making our way finally to the SCG...I think I may have told this story before but who gives a stuff...on the hill there used to be a kiosk under the scoreboard and one Sat I drew the short straw and had to go and get the supplies for my mates and I which consisted of about 8 beers and approx 15 pies with tomatoe sauce ...unfortunately we were down the front so it was a major effort trying to get back to our spot through a very large Sat crowd...after being jostled and shoved and abused I finally made it back..the end result about 6 pies and 4 beers some half empty (not by me) and sauce all over me ......and you know what I wouldnt swap those days for quids.....see what youve started now Old Kogarah Boy...great isnt it

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
We moved to Jubilee Ave in 69 and I used to love watching the crowds build on game day as they walked to the ground walking down from Carlton Station, we used to yell out, wave flags and cheer, especially to the poor old losing fans of other clubs on their way home - or we'd hide inside if we lost of course.

Also remember watching the FG team jog up and down the length of Jubilee Ave for their training sessions after work of course, I think twice a week back then. They used to end their training sessions by jogging up the Ave, as a team and straight into Carlton Pub!!!! Then, a few hours later when I was in bed I'd be woken by them leaving at closing time as a team, often with the Police in their Holden HR Panel vans / Paddy vans to make sure they left. Saw many of our greats get taken away by the cops too.
Our neighbour worked at the pub and the stories I could tell you...... Also, the club paid for their beer (but only beer).

Now that's a high performance update right there.

Some great stories here folks, love it.

Can still see the fans streaming down from Carlton station. The local streets around the club and all the way up to our house opposite the motor registry would be choc full with cars.

The old man told me many a story about the team and individuals.
One night, after a session, Chang drove his his car up the ramp and pass the petrol station, hung a left and sped up the road, only to run straight up the back of a parked car!

No problems, next time round he had a new car.

The club, supposedly, use to put on the grog & girls for the team, downstairs at the back of the club.
Must have been part of their 3rd party payment structure, ha!

Dad also mentioned that Sattler and Chang would be 'completely rotten' on the eve of a big game..... but they'd still get out there the next day and play a blinder.

I had the pleasure of meeting Johnny Sattler up here in Queensland in the late nineties.
He was a self confessed teetotaler and a really decent gentleman. Very quietly spoken he was.

Not all the players received nice comments from the old man.
He saw many an argument from notable persons and had very little time for one in particular but l'll leave that for another day.

Old Timer

Coach
Heres one for the older members re headquarters and the hill and outer
Carry a box of beer in on the shoulder, of course they were steel cans back then and they got a bit heavy crossing over Moore Park.
Somebody else would carry the foam esky with the ice in it which would ultimately get smashed to bits as the afternoon wore on.
Have a half a dozen beers (make a stand for the shortest bloke in your group or your girl friend to stand on) so they could see over the people in front of you, then in for a piss, then back to your spot on the hill 3 more beers back for a piss and then when the roar of the crowd went up, you would piss on yourself or the bloke next to you trying to get out to find out what happened.
How bad did the old concrete pissers at the back of the Sheridan and on the way into the outer smell?
The hill was always awash with ice and bits of white foam esky's at 4.40pm as everyone left the ground and everyone had a great day because we used to kick more arse than not back then.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Some great stories here folks, love it.

Can still see the fans streaming down from Carlton station. The local streets around the club and all the way up to our house opposite the motor registry would be choc full with cars.

The old man told me many a story about the team and individuals.
One night, after a session, Chang drove his his car up the ramp and pass the petrol station, hung a left and sped up the road, only to run straight up the back of a parked car!

No problems, next time round he had a new car.

The club, supposedly, use to put on the grog & girls for the team, downstairs at the back of the club.
Must have been part of their 3rd party payment structure, ha!

Dad also mentioned that Sattler and Chang would be 'completely rotten' on the eve of a big game..... but they'd still get out there the next day and play a blinder.

I had the pleasure of meeting Johnny Sattler up here in Queensland in the late nineties.
He was a self confessed teetotaler and a really decent gentleman. Very quietly spoken he was.

Not all the players received nice comments from the old man.
He saw many an argument from notable persons and had very little time for one in particular but l'll leave that for another day.

Mate I used to talk to Satts quite a bit when he was Captain of Souths, back then most players had to work and most Fidays he would come in to where I worked as a Mechanic...I think from memory he was a rep for a ball bearing company or something similar...all the blokes at work used to make an excuse to go to the small store we had where tne bosses office was just to have a chat.....as you say he was an absolute gentlemen quietly spoken and certainly not a big head and always gave you the time of day...amazing isnt it how champions back then had to work for a living as well as play footy....briefly on another occassion I was in at a large Hardware the day after the Grand Final and who should be ordering some nails and gear etc was Peter Provan who at the time was The Captain of Balmain...the day before they had just beaten Souths in the GF ( I was there for that game)and here he was in his working gear...unbelievable can you imagine that happening today

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Heres one for the older members re headquarters and the hill and outer
Carry a box of beer in on the shoulder, of course they were steel cans back then and they got a bit heavy crossing over Moore Park.
Somebody else would carry the foam esky with the ice in it which would ultimately get smashed to bits as the afternoon wore on.
Have a half a dozen beers (make a stand for the shortest bloke in your group or your girl friend to stand on) so they could see over the people in front of you, then in for a piss, then back to your spot on the hill 3 more beers back for a piss and then when the roar of the crowd went up, you would piss on yourself or the bloke next to you trying to get out to find out what happened.
How bad did the old concrete pissers at the back of the Sheridan and on the way into the outer smell?
The hill was always awash with ice and bits of white foam esky's at 4.40pm as everyone left the ground and everyone had a great day because we used to kick more arse than not back then.
Mate remember it well...talking about standing on things my old boss used to go regularly to the footy and the hill and fairdinkum he used to have 2 blocks of light wood about 2 inches high and a leather strap across them and he used to put his feet in them and watch the game...he said it was amazing how much difference that 2 inches made.....true story

Latest posts