What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Shredder

Juniors
TT - the list goes on - Comps are won on defence. Not attack.

No sense in scoring 30 pts if we let in 60.

Clifferd

Coach
According to Channel 7 news we have tabled a 3 year offer to Chris McQueen. He is looking to return to Sydney and was at the West Tigers complex today. Would have preferred him a few years ago but he is still a pretty solid player that could add to our pack and fill in at centre with game day injuries.

Would be good to have him. Never really clicked with Gold Coast, probably due to the fact he was homesick but remember him being a gun for Souths and playing for QLD 13/14

Tiger Ted

Bench
It's unforgivable if the allegations r found to b true.It will explain y he had his most ineffectual season for us in '16.

Very disappointing if true that he was infected by the gambling bug when he's such a talent & would've earnt enough over the next 7yrs from league to secure a comfy future.

Hope the foolish bugger can b rehabilitated from this apparent gambling prob & get his life sorted out.

Hopefully Suli or whoever else is left centre can fill the void.

macnaz

Staff member
I must admit i watched games where his defence had the " couldnt give a shit attitude " which was very unlike him .
What i cant understand or actually believe .... is why would he throw his career away over a small bet .. doesnt make sense. He either done it to make money in which he has had like a zillion mates bet on his behalf or it was a one off piss take... why the f**k would u sacrifice your whole life and income for $5 .. The truth will come out soon i guess

Clifferd

Coach
I doubt it was small bets tbh. he can't be that stupid, surely..

To jeopardise a 6 figure salary for what...a couple hundred bucks? Um no thanks

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's been reported simona is on approx $350kpa. How the hell this isn't enough for a 24 year old in sydney I have no idea. Does he really need that much money that he needs to bet and potentially fix matches?!?!

Shredder

Juniors
The press reported that the bets hes attached to are in the $5 - $10 range.

Im with you guys, either:

1. This is all crap
2. He was using other accounts that havent been found yet, or
3. He genuinely is an idiot.

Although as mentioned above, the small size of the bets they are talking about are making me wonder about it. It just doesnt seem to make sense.

A mate was telling me that Graeme Hughes on Talking Sport yesterday afternoon said something like, there's more to the Simona story, mentioned both an insider putting him in and hypocrisy by the NRL.

Love to hear more on that.

Tiger05

First Grade
He is one if not my favourite player. Busts his gut. Great defence. Great attacking ability.

I hope that this is just some dumb random bets and he gets off and is back with us soon enough.

Wizardman

First Grade
The press reported that the bets hes attached to are in the $5 - $10 range.

Im with you guys, either:

1. This is all crap
2. He was using other accounts that havent been found yet, or
3. He genuinely is an idiot.

Although as mentioned above, the small size of the bets they are talking about are making me wonder about it. It just doesnt seem to make sense.
Im going with option three

Wizardman

First Grade
It is looking likely that it is genuine stupidity from Simona's part as it seems that the bets are pretty small. Regardless, the man needs to go. As stupid as it may seem, going to lengths of having opposition players score against you should be an instant life ban....no matter how much money he stood to make.

His actions go against everything sport is meant to be about.

NRL began investigating Tim Simona last season after social media post
A social media post linking Tim Simona to alleged gambling activity and behavioural misconduct raised concern over the Wests Tigers centre during last season.

Fairfax Media can reveal the NRL first launched its investigation into alleged suspicious betting activity during the final months of the regular season after a social media post accused Simona of numerous breaches of his contract, including betting on rugby league.

The NRL integrity unit interviewed Simona and the person responsible for the post, but the Samoan international was cleared of any wrongdoing and allowed to continue playing for the Tigers.

However, more information came to light in the ensuing months, forcing the NRL to re-open its investigation.

It is understood Simona will have to face the NRL integrity unit to answer allegations he was involved in arranging bets on players he was opposing to score tries against the Tigers last season.

The NRL has handed over all relevant documentation relating to the Simona betting allegations to his management, giving him until next Friday to plead his case.

It is understood Simona won't be allowed to play while the matter is being resolved. Text messages provided to the NRL integrity unit are central to its investigation.

Following Fairfax Media revelations that Simona had allegedly arranged bets on players he was marking to score tries against him last season, the NSW Police strike force probing claims of match fixing met the NRL integrity unit on Thursday morning. But it is understood the evidence gathered by the NRL against Simona did not convince police it was a criminal matter, allowing the NRL to continue its own investigation without the authorities.

Regardless of whether police take further interest into Simona's alleged betting movements, it doesn't change the severity of the allegations being thrown at the 25-year-old, who now faces a life ban from the sport if found guilty of the allegations that have surfaced over the past few days.

The claims against Simona were raised via a tip-off from a former friend not from a betting agency. It is believed the alleged bets didn't come out of Simona's account, but through people he knew.

The Samoan international has been shopped around to rival clubs over the past few months in a bid by the Tigers to ease of their salary cap woes.

The Tigers have been trying to offload a player to comply with the salary cap by round one, but they won't need to move on a player if Simona is found guilty.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-after-social-media-post-20170224-gukgtf.html

Das Hassler

Bench
Doesnt matter if the bets were for five dollsrs and how good he is....the investigation is focused on the latter part of last season so it's entirely conceivable that his actions cost the tigers a place in the finals. If it's proven it will be the lowest of the low.

BrotherJim05

Bench
There is no way the bets were in the manner of $5-10. Maybe he arranged 200 bets of $10 from multiple TABs or betting accounts but its unlikely.

If he is getting paid $300k per year he wouldn't risk that and his team to lose a game just to make $50. Doesn't add up.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
'Good riddance': Wests Tigers legend Paul Sironen delivers withering send-off to Jason Taylor
Chris Barrett
Published: March 20, 2017 - 8:52PM

Balmain legend Paul Sironen on Monday night delivered a withering send-off to Jason Taylor, saying "karma's a bitch" and telling the sacked Wests Tigers coach not to "let the door hit you out on the way out".

The immediate termination of Taylor's contract on Monday was met with a mixed response from Tigers supporters, with the board withdrawing their support for him after only two defeats this season.

Sironen, however, hailed the decision, reacting on social media by saying: "Good riddance & don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

The Tigers great was let go from his role with the club's under-20s team in 2014 after a review of football operations conducted by Brian Smith, and his son Curtis also left Concord after last season to join Manly.

"He punted me then got rid of my young bloke last year," Sironen said on Monday night. "Well, karma's a bitch."

"Hopefully the joint now can go onwards and upwards. That's all I want for the joint. I've got too many years invested in the place and I've still got a son [Bayley] there and I just want them to succeed."

The former NSW State of Origin and Kangaroos forward was filthy over his exit from the joint-venture outfit three years ago following Smith's review, saying he was told by Taylor and football manager Phil Moss he would no longer be required.

"When the great Brian Smith strategic plan was implemented and Taylor came in, I was involved in the club," he said. "I was involved numerous years as a director and with the 20s. He's entitled to turn the club upside down but without a single word of explanation he got rid of me.

"They got me upstairs and said you're no longer required without saying thanks for giving 14-15 years here as an administrator, in football operations and in several different roles.

"I've been asked by several blokes over the last couple of years to give comments but I've always, out of respect, for the club bit my tongue. Now that's he's gone I'm entitled to say my piece."

Sironen said his son Curtis, who fell out of favour at the Tigers on form issues, was "happy over at Manly now".

While the board threw its weight behind Taylor in his efforts to turn the club around without former captain Robbie Farah, there have been suggestions that players were not happy under the coach and that his continued presence was hindering the Tigers' efforts to re-sign off-contract quartet James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks.

"I think you could see that," Sironen said. "Hopefully the next appointment can add some stability into the joint and a bit more hard-headedness."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-sendoff-to-jason-taylor-20170320-gv2ghg.html