What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simona / Salary cap

Shredder

Juniors
We may still be in a little trouble here.

Simona has until Friday to answer the charge to the integrity unit.
We need to clear cap space before round 1.
I would assume that for us, this is also Friday.

So, my reading on it is this - if Simona pleads straight out guilty, we cut up his contract and save his cash over the salary cap. and we are right before kick off.
If he pleads not guilty hes still on our books until the case i decided.

I would expect us to release someone this week regardless - they cant bet on him pleading guilty.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Don't panic just yet there's still Kyle Lovett likely to be punted, Just so disappointed with Tim betting on the opposition to score, how many games did it cost the Tigers by Tim slipping off a tackle or two?.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought Lovett was already gone off the books.

There's some suggestions that Simona's departure MAY only just sneak us under the cap.

How the f**k is this roster THAT far over the cap. It goes beyond incompetence, it's unfathomable.

How the f**k is this roster THAT far over the cap. It goes beyond incompetence, it's unfathomable.
Agree 100% madunit.

I just don't want to hear, read, see, etc that come season end the West Tigers Team of the Year includes,
Robbie Farah & Curtis Sironen or any other player that no longer plays with us but we are paying any $$$'s towards their contract elsewhere.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Agree 100% madunit.

I just don't want to hear, read, see, etc that come season end the West Tigers Team of the Year includes,
Robbie Farah & Curtis Sironen or any other player that no longer plays with us but we are paying any $$$'s towards their contract elsewhere.
Just when you think we're done paying wages elsewhere, bang...

Shredder

Juniors
If your spending the cap and continuously not making the finals, your over paying for players. I reckon its as simple as that.

Additionally, Back loading player contracts and paying players to play at other clubs doesnt help.

We always seem to be on the "verge" of something...... It gives us fans enough excitement to come back next year. But Im getting pretty sick of it myself.

Manchester United of the NRL apparently......

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
If your spending the cap and continuously not making the finals, your over paying for players. I reckon its as simple as that.

Additionally, Back loading player contracts and paying players to play at other clubs doesnt help.

We always seem to be on the "verge" of something...... It gives us fans enough excitement to come back next year. But Im getting pretty sick of it myself.

Manchester United of the NRL apparently......
Noyce...

Tiger05

First Grade
I thought Lovett was already gone off the books.

There's some suggestions that Simona's departure MAY only just sneak us under the cap.

Exactly. I don't think our rooster is bad but we have players like Tedesco and Moses who you'd think deserve an upgrade. I don't think Brooks deserves an upgrade at this point but it's possible that he gets one and even deserves it based on performances this year. Nofo is another one who probably deserves an upgrade.

I reckon we are paying a chunk to Robbie and I assume Woods.

The other option is that it's a load of crap which could be true considering I've seen us linked to recruiting players.

It's a bit like ground hog day again,paying players to play elsewhere,who ever tabled these contracts hopefully have no say in future contract negotiations.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Apparently the Tigers are still over the cap and have had to apply to the NRL for an exemption to play ET and Idris this week... If it wasn't for the Simona issue one of them would have to be stood down from selection...

The club continues to be amateur hour...

Tiger Ted

Bench
Exactly. I don't think our rooster is bad but we have players like Tedesco and Moses who you'd think deserve an upgrade. I don't think Brooks deserves an upgrade at this point but it's possible that he gets one and even deserves it based on performances this year. Nofo is another one who probably deserves an upgrade.

I reckon we are paying a chunk to Robbie and I assume Woods.

The other option is that it's a load of crap which could be true considering I've seen us linked to recruiting players.
Unless there's a monumental improvement by Brooks & I so badly hope there is then he will b getting a huge downgrade re next contract.

Robbie is costing us to play for the opposition the equivalent value of 2 quality players.Its a never ending debacle @ this amateur club !

Shredder

Juniors
Brookes wont be downgraded.....

Does anyone know how many other halves are off contract this year? Or are our two the only ones?

Clifferd

Coach

Does anyone know how many other halves are off contract this year? Or are our two the only ones?
Copper Cronk and Blake green from Melbourne are off contract too iirc

Cronk would probably be out of the picture

Shredder

Juniors
Is that is Clifferd?

Cronk wont move.

So that leaves our two and Green?

I suspect prices on halves are going up this year......

Dogs and Eels would both be on the market.

Clifferd

Coach
There's more but those are the only two I can think of at the top of my head

Ben Hunt was off contract but Dragons snared him

Cronk will finish his career at Melb you'd think and only has 1-2 years left in him anyway

I'm fine with keeping Brooks if he performs this year and don't pay overs

Otherwise sign up Moses & an experienced half to be a foil for him.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Thurston, Milford, Foran,Widdop,Sean Johnson,Josh Reynolds,Tyrone Roberts ,Jeff Robson

We must pay according to there level of competency & based on there usual performances for us.

We can not pay overs based on potential or sentimental worth.

The salary cap MUST be spent wisely to assemble a formidable well balanced squad.

This is y I firmly believe at this point Brooks isn't worth the value of his current contract & y we must play hardball with his manager. Unless of course a miracle occurs & he suddenly consistently replicates his debut performance v saints 3 yrs ago although I reckon there's more chance of hell freezing over !

Clifferd

Coach
If I had to choose out of that list I'd go for Foran buT by all reports he's an absolute nutcase. If he could somehow change his off field dramas around I'd take him in a heartbeat

The other halves there named are a bit hot and cold barring Thurston of course

Latest posts