What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Rabbitohs @ ANZ Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Rabbitohs v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiger05

First Grade
The right side defense is still terrible. It's not Naiqama's fault either. Naiqama was moved to the left and Chee-Kam was on the right and that right side leaked points.

I don't think Sue can defend on the edge as he gets caught out but there is something just not working there. I think Nofo is a poor defender but maybe Moses is also to blame. Maybe it's the structure. I don't know but something isn't working there and it's not as simple as blaming the whole problem on Naiqama.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gee you guys should be more excited after last night. Sure the Souths were missing Reynolds and had GI on one leg. But you guys were playing expansive football, looked sharp in attack and identified a weakness in the opposition then kept attacking it.

I think Tigers look like a top 8 side if they can have a good run with injuries.maybe not a genuine premiership threat. But a bit of confidence in an attacking side can change that.

Defence is an issue. But Raiders and Panthers were the same last year. Just score more than you concede.

Clifferd

Coach
Gee you guys should be more excited after last night. Sure the Souths were missing Reynolds and had GI on one leg. But you guys were playing expansive football, looked sharp in attack and identified a weakness in the opposition then kept attacking it.

I think Tigers look like a top 8 side if they can have a good run with injuries.maybe not a genuine premiership threat. But a bit of confidence in an attacking side can change that.

Defence is an issue. But Raiders and Panthers were the same last year. Just score more than you concede.

I'll reserve judgement after playing your mob next week, albeit early in the season, it's awesome to get a good start like we did last night.

I still think we are a couple years off being a genuine premiership threat but top 8 this year is definitely not out of the question and I've been saying it all pre season

Tiger Ted

Bench
Maybe I'm getting pessimistic in my old age but I still see all the problems from last year. Right side defence is still abysmal & decent teams will have a field day down there. It's the same as last year, we'll look like world beaters against teams that are down but against a decent team when we have to defend on our line for multiple sets we don't have the grit to tough it out. We might just scrape into the eight, but we're not a threat. I hope I'm wrong but watching last night felt exactly the same as last year.
Ur not being pessimistic mr raditch as the reality for us currently is that we r not close to being able to scrape into the 8.

We've had a good record over Souths in recent times & they missed Reynolds bigtime plus we normally start the season well.

Our defence will b asked a heck of a lot more questions over the next 3 weeks against 3 of the premiership heavyweights & hence we will know whether we r genuine challengers for finals footy after the melb game @ LO.

Tiger Ted

Bench
As

As the last 2 seasons demonstrate we concede more than every other team except for the wooden-spooners !

We won't challenge for the 8 unless there is drastic improvement in Defence !!

Vic Mackey

Referee

Appreciate the kind words mate, however we've seen this performance many times over the years then backed it up with absolute garbage the following week.

I will need to see us perform against a top 4 side, which luckily we get next week, before I start to believe.

Tiger05

First Grade
Souths were terrible and they look beyond ordinary. I don't think we were that good. We need to improve on that effort a lot and there were plenty of issues.

Tedesco is special. Nofo is unreal. Woods is a really good prop. Moses and Brooks are good but it's hard to judge them because they need to consistently be good. Our forward pack is pretty good as well but we don't have a right edge backrower. Sue played well but I'm not sure he can defend on the edge. If we had a right edge backrower our pack would be really good. Lawrence seems to be able to do the job on the left edge but I reckon he is going to need some breaks throughout the season.

Nothing has changed my opinion that we are potentially a top team that can compete with every team in the comp if we get things right. The problem is that are have a bunch of issues that need to be addressed and a coach who I have no confidence in.

First hit out on a rainy track I'm not going to be to critical of the team,seems like every player was offering something unlike other seasons where we had the likes of Siro,Anasta,Blair,Buchanan etc that were bloody useless bludgers offering nothing.

I agree with many of the posters regarding our defense but believe an old head like Matt Ballin is what we need.
But do we play him in NSW Cup until match fit and stick with last nights combo until he is fit? I think it worked OK.

IMO our 'old head' last night was in La La Land after that head knock with Burgess.

I think that Idris needs longer minutes in reserves for the next 2 or 3 weeks and we can run with the starting backs from last night and hope that no one gets hurt.

Clifferd

Coach
I'm starting to think Mcillwrick should be our starting hooker with Ballin to come on after 30 to steer the ship or something. Mcillwrick has such a physical presence about him that I never knew he had that I think we may need in the early stages of the game

I'd like to say Liddle but atm we need experience and Ballin has that atm.

I'd be happy with Liddle to play a year in reserves and come in as a back up if we have an injury and have him primed for next season.

Tiger05

First Grade
Mcillwrick was really good. I can't believe that anyone is thinking to replace him with a rookie or a past it player who are both completely under done.

Let Liddle and Ballin come back via reserves. If they both play well the best player as an interchange hooker should come onto the bench. I'd prefer Liddle because I think some spark at key times would help.

Tiger Ted

Bench
First hit out on a rainy track I'm not going to be to critical of the team,seems like every player was offering something unlike other seasons where we had the likes of Siro,Anasta,Blair,Buchanan etc that were bloody useless bludgers offering nothing.
....& he with the 1 stroke motor Galloway !

Geez it's nice to have forwards that make an impact & have a dig compared to the above mentioned oxygen thieves!

Vozzy

Juniors
As a tigers fan I hope panthers have an easy game. I always find the tigers lose to teams when that team lost the week before. I wish lasts nights game was a bit tougher especially with panthers raiders and storm next 3 games.

Joel Caine last night was already comparing Jacob Little to Cameron Smith. That stuff annoys me just let them be themselves.

hard to work out how we went last night as souffs were beyond crap and maguire helped us plenty by effectively fielding a 12 man side for most of the game.

2 points is 2 points though so you won't hear me complaining any

Clifferd

Coach
As a tigers fan I hope panthers have an easy game. I always find the tigers lose to teams when that team lost the week before. I wish lasts nights game was a bit tougher especially with panthers raiders and storm next 3 games.

Joel Caine last night was already comparing Jacob Little to Cameron Smith. That stuff annoys me just let them be themselves.

I don't see how they have any similarities at all. Liddle seems more like an out and out explosive dummy half like a young Craig wing or somethibg

....& he with the 1 stroke motor Galloway !

Geez it's nice to have forwards that make an impact & have a dig compared to the above mentioned oxygen thieves!

Yeah i forgot about Keith...massive plodder,for the size of him he should of been a world beater..!

Tiger Ted

Bench

Joel Caine is a major league gump.

Y even bring the kid up when he didn't even play last nite & to
compare a greenhorn to a sublime hooker who has been the elite no.9 for many yrs & achieved everything this great game has to offer is f**king moronic !

Perth Tiger

Bench
I see that the reserve grade team flogged 42 nil. Anyone know what happened there? Seems proof that we don't have much depth this year. We will be counting on the injury gods for a good year.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I see that the reserve grade team flogged 42 nil. Anyone know what happened there? Seems proof that we don't have much depth this year. We will be counting on the injury gods for a good year.
As soon as I saw that score line y'day i was pissed off as it's got to be a concern as it's a poor reflection of our depth.The bondi scums feeder team had players of the quality of Copley in that team.