What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Glenn01

Juniors
I'm not suggesting Alexander should praise anyone but it's pretty clear he bags the Dragons at what seems every opportunity and it seems to me Hunt is also in his sights.

Thats my opinion pal and If you thinks that makes me stupid and or niave, then that probably says more about you than it does me.
No, no. That isn't what I mean at all. No need to take umbrage. I'm merely saying Dragons supporters should take what these flagrantly partisan commentators say about the Dragons with a grain of salt.

Dragsters

First Grade
No, no. That isn't what I mean at all. No need to take umbrage. I'm merely saying Dragons supporters should take what these flagrantly partisan commentators say about the Dragons with a grain of salt.

Fair enough.

I'm just getting a bit over this obvious jealously among some ex-players toward Hunt's dragons contract value and the death-riding that seems rampant at present.

Whether or not he is worth it is something to be determined once he gets here and has the opportunity to earn it.

Glenn01

Juniors
Whether or not he is "worth it" will always be open to debate but what is important is that I believe with the excellent forward pack, number of good backs almost ready if not already ready for the NRL and good hooker coming though, Hunt will prove to be a tremendous success.

The lack of noise from Bennett raving about him being a good buy for the Dragons and etc makes me optimistic that rivals also think he is going t be a success. If Bennett were raving about how good he was and about how he will be a great success at the Dragons and etc I would be very concerned.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Which brings up a question . In a few years time lets say that Field and Dufty become the players we all hope they can be. Because we paid so much for Hunt will it impact on our ability to retain these young talents? And if Hunt is the half one would think Field would play 5/8th and so Widdop is also gone I presume.

I think you correct ted widdop want stay and they can you his money to upgrade the young guys.
Also salary cap going up again in a few years if I'm not mistaken

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If things continue the way they are going in a few years players like Dufty and Field would have left because they were not getting selected in first grade. Like Bird did.
This weekend we run out with Dufty, Mann, Milne and possibly Field playing reserve grade.
Dufty and Field I can cop because they are young but Mann and Milne are two of our best. They wont stick around for long if they are playing reserve grade....

Agree crush if I was mann I would already be looking around because as long as mary there he is continually being stuffed about

blacksafake

First Grade
It's a second hand story, but that's what I was told. My cousin reckons Corey Parker is a terrific bloke and a good neighbour, but he doesn't think much of the younger Bronco's players, and specifically mentioned Ben Hunt and the quad bike incident.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Most blokes do something stupid when young. His football skills are what's important.
He obviously just doesn't like younger players, just ask klemmer :smiley:

blacksafake

First Grade
If you look at Ben Hunt he plays the game in a very similar manner to Andrew Johns.. Runs to the line and takes the line on - switches play suddenly (see last night leading up to Milfords try - that was a half a try pass) - big tackler has good upper body strength.. Good initial speed..

When he gets here next year he will feed off the pressure of being head honcho.. He's worth every cent ..
As long as L plate ain't coaching

The Doc

Juniors
If moses mbye is on $750k per year over 4 years...
Then we got ben hunt for a bargain!!!
Compare the pays of these 2... Mbye was highly chased by many clubs... and got $750k...
In my view, he is at the bottom of the barrel of halfbacks!
Remember, the cap increases i believe 2 maybe 3 more times over the next 6 years....
Whats a halfback gunna be worth then?
$1mill will be peanuts for a halfback that can actually play!!

BennyV

Referee
Mbye is no halfback. He is a running 5/8 who needs a controlling halfback. They let the wrong half go - Hodko and Mbye balances infinitely better.

possm

Coach
Personally I'm optimistic. Was it Brisbanes first try when Hunt took the ball in both hands, ran to the line and the Shonksters had no idea whether he was going to run it himself, kick it or pass it? Remember what it's like to have a half who does that? As opposed to Widdop sending the opposition an email, letting them know whether he is going to run across field and slip over, catch and immediately pass or kick into the opposition players legs 5 minutes before he does it.
You just brought back some of the great memories of my past - Billy Smith.

red rocket

Juniors
If moses mbye is on $750k per year over 4 years...
Then we got ben hunt for a bargain!!!
Compare the pays of these 2... Mbye was highly chased by many clubs... and got $750k...
In my view, he is at the bottom of the barrel of halfbacks!
Remember, the cap increases i believe 2 maybe 3 more times over the next 6 years....
Whats a halfback gunna be worth then?
$1mill will be peanuts for a halfback that can actually play!!
Hunts super quick service allowed Darius to shine plays straight hard with options. Could not give a flying duck if he is not as good as Cronk and Thurston he is also not in his thirties. Great buy. Have not had a half since head and Goldie. Can't wait to have such a competeter playing for us. So long and good riddance widdop pommy land awaits your homecoming

The Doc

Juniors
100% correct possm...
My only issue is i like both Mann AND Field.
I dont want us to lose either of them 2.
And im a massive fan of Taane Milne.
Maybe Firld at 5/8 in 2018, milne and roberts on one side... and aitken and mann on the other side?
Dufty at fullback?
Release widdop and dugan?
But im also a fan of dugan.
My personal preference is to keep duges and play him in the centres replacing aitken.
But aitken recently resigned for 3 years so it doesnt seem he will be going anywhere.

Gareth67

First Grade
You just brought back some of the great memories of my past - Billy Smith.

Yes , he was such a wonderful halfback . The Dragons were blessed to have a player such as Smith , who was so skilful with the ball . And his defence for a small player was terrific , never missed his man .

I recall a try at the old Sydney Sports Ground that he and Johnny Raper set up . It was a game against the Priemers South Sydney, on a Sunday afternoon.

Smith fed the scrum , Raper scoops the ball up , who then dummies to Smith , who then ran to the open side taking the defence with him , allowing Raper to continue up the short side , who then drew the sole remaining Rabbit player before passing to Johnny King , who went over without a hand on him .

Great player for the Saints , a real legend ! If Ben Hunt can play to a tenth of Smiths ability , we will have made ourselves a good buy .

blacksafake

First Grade
Hunts super quick service allowed Darius to shine plays straight hard with options. Could not give a flying duck if he is not as good as Cronk and Thurston he is also not in his thirties. Great buy. Have not had a half since head and Goldie. Can't wait to have such a competeter playing for us. So long and good riddance widdop pommy land awaits your homecoming
True
Although I wouldn't be disappointed in a Hunt/Widdop pairing.

Glenn01

Juniors
True
Although I wouldn't be disappointed in a Hunt/Widdop pairing.
That would be good for some forum contributors. When Hunt isn't good enough to make up for an utterly useless 5/8, this forum would have someone to blame for that utterly useless 5/8 being utterly useless.

Maxwell

Juniors
I watched Bronco's play Panthers 2015 at pepper stadium and Hunt's kicking game was spot on and from memory I think that was under the coaching of Hook, Bennett came and maybe he stifled it , because he simple is not the same player , seems to lost his mojo a little. I think a change will do him well.

Bench
With the salary cap being increased all teams will have to get used to some players held in high esteem will be moving on. It's now all about money and players need to go after the dollars. Their football life is brief so good luck to them chasing the big money to set themselves up after football

Latest posts