What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Rabbitohs @ ANZ Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Rabbitohs v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clifferd

Coach
Yeah that Roos team is basically nrl quality though from what I've seen.

Hopefully it was just a bit of poor attitude from our boys & can bounce back better next week

Tiger Ted

Bench
At least Lovett will b back in that team soon to assist with his powerful hit ups & brutal defence !!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few things about Round 1.

*Souths continue to employ the same inept style of play against us, which works to the few strengths we have which means we will continue to beat them.

*Tigers defensive application was slightly better, but the Moses-Naiqama side is still a target. Move Kev to the wing and plug the gap with a defensively smart centre.

*Brooks has shown great improvement

*Lawrence looks comfortable as a second rower now. I think that first full off-season training as a back rower has done wonders for him.

*Suli is a good player but not worth the money splashed at him.

*Moses goalkicking looks to be vastly better than last season. Hard to see a reason to pick Rankin anymore which is another plus

*Chee Kam looks good in the centres. Hope he gets to keep it all year.

*Nofoaluma was Man of the match for mine, only barely sneaking past Sue and Tedesco. He's running with more venom than last year. Very impressive.

Clifferd

Coach
A few things about Round 1.

*Souths continue to employ the same inept style of play against us, which works to the few strengths we have which means we will continue to beat them.

*Tigers defensive application was slightly better, but the Moses-Naiqama side is still a target. Move Kev to the wing and plug the gap with a defensively smart centre.

*Brooks has shown great improvement

*Lawrence looks comfortable as a second rower now. I think that first full off-season training as a back rower has done wonders for him.

*Suli is a good player but not worth the money splashed at him.

*Moses goalkicking looks to be vastly better than last season. Hard to see a reason to pick Rankin anymore which is another plus

*Chee Kam looks good in the centres. Hope he gets to keep it all year.

*Nofoaluma was Man of the match for mine, only barely sneaking past Sue and Tedesco. He's running with more venom than last year. Very impressive.

I agree about all of this but I don't get the Suli comment. That was his 1st game and was one of the most impressive debuts I've ever seen

Pay 333k a season for unknown potential, who knows he could be an origin winger next year and we would all be saying how cheap we got him

Certainly an improvement on Rankin

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is an improvement on Rankin.

Is he better than Nofoaluma? Does he 'deserve' the money paid to him?

What if the rest of his games for the rest of this contract sees him follow the formline of Brooks, who had arguably one of the greatest debut games ever?

The Brooks contract alone should have been a lesson to not blow your load too quickly with contracts for untried rookies, for our recruitment team.

Its no wonder our cap is a mess.

Clifferd

Coach
It is a bit of a risk but I think of it is like this, say we give him a 1 year contract for about 200k.

He becomes an out and out superstar, rookie of the year etc, top try scorer next thing you know he is demanding 700k+ for next year..with the current situation atleast if that happens we have got him for the next 2 years at a bargain price with the salary cap only getting bigger

Of course I'm not saying he will but the Tigers management would have a better idea than any of us about how good he is

I think he will kick on tbh, halfback is a much harder position to master than wing anyway

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
The fallout continues continuesin the lol@souffs forum.

It is delicious.....yes read below its a delicious merge......Shadow...
hows the merge tigpie clifferd and ""senses-are-numbed"" and co why did you not march are you a magpie or a tigers fan? oh thats right your both your a tigpies fan lol at least we marched and won in court and never merged and we kept our true identity since 1908 you lost yours lol@tigpies.....Shadow....

Tiger05

First Grade
On Suli. If he plays 1st grade for a number of years and finds his place I think that money will be okay.

On Naiqama and the defence on that side. Naiqama was moved to the left and Chee-Kam was on the right and the defence was still terrible. Clearly it's not a matter of just moving Naiqama. There are a tonne of problems on that side. A slow backrower, Moses & Nofo are all big parts of that right side defence being poor. It requires a tonne of work.

BrotherJim05

Bench
There is no wing spot available for Naiqama as I feel that Nofa and Suli will have those spots locked down for the foreseeable future.

Chee Kam played very well and his ability to play back row or centre will have great utility value for us

Tiger05

First Grade
There is no wing spot available for Naiqama as I feel that Nofa and Suli will have those spots locked down for the foreseeable future.

Chee Kam played very well and his ability to play back row or centre will have great utility value for us

I definitely wouldn't move Naiqama to the wing. He was also really poor under the high ball there. I also like having Nofo and Suli there for the moment.

Chee Kam has looked good this year. I think Naiqama plays on the right hand side and stays there for the moment but if we get two better centres then I'd drop him. I'm not sold on Chee Kam handling the defensive role on the right. He was there and we leaked points. Maybe Madunit is right and if he stayed there they would work it out but it's a big maybe. I think that it requires all the players there to start working together and improving their technique. Moses going for the intercept was just dumb. Sue getting stood up. I have no idea what Chee Kam and Nofo were doing but it wasn't defending.

Clifferd

Coach

Suli is a future centre imo, he will eventually transition there