What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JDB

BrissyRedV

Bench
Off topic..but jeez Hunt was woeful in the world club championship... If he has anything less than a stellar season this year the knives will be out for him before he even starts with us..
Was it his first game of the season or had he had a trial game before that one?

ALSGI

Bench
I kinda disagree there possm.
I was a big fan of widdop in his first year with us, however the last 2 and a bit years has shown he struggles to do even the basics right.
Surely we cant blame mary for a 5/8 or half kicking into opposition players legs?
Or for a half not having vision to take a run STRAIGHT FORWARD?
Yes Mary has no idea on how to construct a game plan... but i assure even the dumbest coach wouldnt instruct his halves to run sideways and kick into defenders legs!!
Im no fan of Mary... but Widdop is not a class half or 5/8 so that blame falls squarely on his shoulders and his shoulders alone.
As a half, who wants top $$$, if your instructed to play a certain way, and after 2 years your stocks have dropped because that game plan isnt working, then surely you would either:
1. Pull the coach aside and explain this to him and also explain your preffered style that you believe would work better... OR
2. You just say f#ck this and take control of the game the way you think it needs to done.
JT plays whats in front of him. Because he can. Because he is a true half. He takes control of a game.
Widdop has basically said "ok... what do i know? I will just do as im told".
Thats not what a champion half does in these situations!!!
Mary is a shit coach, but widdop is also a shit half.
F#ck them both and piss both of them off!!!
Doc
Yep, you nailed it.
The only thing I'd add to your last line is 'now'

Reactions: Qdf

ALSGI

Bench
Some good points for and against by all.

Despite his impressive defence which I've always admired I think his metres gained were mostly nullified with a lack of any intention for off loading - hence very predictable, and turning his back into defence - hence stopping his roll on and slowing the attack. I remember times when players like Quinlan, Rein, Widdop and even Flo would chase him looking for an off load, quick play the ball but that was a long time ago - nobody bothers anymore.

Stats were awesome all round, defence was great, attack was terrible.

If he can produce the kind of game we saw in the last two trials consistently then I say he's a keeper, otherwise ..... sorry Jack.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Some good points for and against by all.

Despite his impressive defence which I've always admired I think his metres gained were mostly nullified with a lack of any intention for off loading - hence very predictable, and turning his back into defence - hence stopping his roll on and slowing the attack. I remember times when players like Quinlan, Rein, Widdop and even Flo would chase him looking for an off load, quick play the ball but that was a long time ago - nobody bothers anymore.

Stats were awesome all round, defence was great, attack was terrible.

If he can produce the kind of game we saw in the last two trials consistently then I say he's a keeper, otherwise ..... sorry Jack.
I didn't want to mention the coach, but I will. Its obvious the players instructions are ball control, play the possession game. Mez is a prime example of this in 2015. In 2015 he had 19 offloads total at 1 per game and then in 2016 he had 56 total at 2.2 per game. His biggest asset was nullified by the coach. JDB has a great offload on him and it needs to be utilised. We have a number of players that would benefit from a licence to offload and it would greatly improve our attack.

j0nesy

Bench
I rate him, always have. Don't think he'll ever be a world beater but is an above average first grader and fringe rep player. Mary doesn't play him well. That prop and pass play is used far too often.

Bench
I believe that he has signed a three year deal to be announced this week. He has some work to do regarding leading the players in the war chant

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have been saying for a few years now that I think DeBelin's career has been very badly miss managed. When he came into grade I thought he looked like the best forward prospect that we have had since Gordon Tallis. It took him until last year to finally lock down a starting position. I would have had him at lock when Merrin was still at our club, I would have been playing Merrin at prop. In the Charity Shield and today's game, Debelin is finally starting to live up to the expectations that I had for him when Price was here coaching us. He is tough, he has great defence, he has a good offload, he has a high work rate and now he is starting to run with more determination, more purpose and more intent. I thought he was a potential origin player at the start of last year, but he did not live up to my expectations. If he continues in this vein of form that he has started the year off with, then he could push for NSW lock. I think he is made for origin. I would love to see him there. Frizzell at second row and Debelin at lock for NSW sounds good to me.

If he can continue in this form then I would have him very high up on the list as our next captain.

I had JDB in my super coach team last year and he is in this year's team too. He had a great start a score of 104. Keep it up Jack.

Reactions: Qdf

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Jack De Belin's potential was always limitless. He is so strong and when he pins his ears back he can crunch serious metres up the middle. As Frank said, he has been severely mismanaged over the past few years. It's not his job to turn his back to the defensive line and look for a pass, it's his job to run straight at the defensive line and break someone's face.
I was one of the first ones to call for him to be moved on and I am now wiping the egg off my face. If he plays like he did today and in the CS for the rest of the year then he is worth the contract extension. I am still cautiously optimistic, but on his best day, JDB is Origin quality.

Latest posts