What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JDB

possm

Coach
If De Belin can keep playing the way he did yesterday, I'm sure he will be considered for SOO this year.

Old Timer

Coach
I have been a harsh critic of De Belin as I firmly believed that early on he had potential but IMO he had surely lost his way with all the hype and ball playing, Merrin replacement crap associated with him.
As I said after the CS I could see real signs of improvement and that continued into yesterdays game and all power to him.
If he continues on in this vein, he will have a very good season indeed, but as was the case so often with Dave Taylor a commanding presence on the field can be heavily / easily distracted with other peoples tasks like ball playing. Jack I don't believe that is your job.
Keep winding up as you run onto the ball Jack and keep your legs pumping and the defence will start to back peddle trying to contain you.
Then from time to time when the opportunity for offloads presents itself you need to be judicious in your play and others around you will also benefit from your good work.
Many a time big Artie and Rocket Rod could have taken the risk of too many offloads but they didn't overplay their ability and that is what made them great.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Has anyone read the subscribe only article just posted on the telecrap re Dugan Widdop JDB contract talks ??

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
He plays his best footy when his first thought is run which he did yesty when he starts doing his turn ya back and lollypop it out the back thats when ya know he isnt on imo
I agree...what I have noticed so far this year is hes looking to run the angles....instead of as you say turn is back hes actually starting to find holes in the defensive line.....also with our big boppers up front attracting 3 or more opposition defenders a quick play the ball from them and Jack is realising that if hes prepared to look and run there are holes appearing........if I was our hooker I would be sniffing around him all day because if he gets the offloads happening then theres plenty of metres on offer

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Has anyone read the subscribe only article just posted on the telecrap re Dugan Widdop JDB contract talks ??

Josh Dugan‘s contract D-Day, Jack De Belin set to sign new deal

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only

ST George Illawarra are poised to push forward a deadline on Josh Dugan to make a decision on his future — and D-Day could come in the next fortnight.

In the wake of the Dragons’ thumping 42-10 win over Penrith, The Daily Telegraph can also reveal tough lock Jack de Belin has all but agreed to a new three-year deal that should be finalised within days.

However, the future of Dugan and skipper Gareth Widdop is not nearly as clear. The Dragons have made no secret of the fact they want to keep Dugan and are prepared to make him potentially the highest-paid centre in the game.

It is understood the club has tabled an offer worth $750,000 a season for three years.

9499d611bf868aa06cede0ce8437b242

The Dragons are prepared to make Josh Dugan the highest paid centre in the game. Picture: Mark Evans
But unless the 26-year-old agrees that his long-term future is at centre and not fullback, there is every chance the Dragons will cut their losses and head in a new direction.

While the Dragons are prepared to adopt a wait-and-see approach with Widdop, negotiations with Dugan are heading towards a more immediate outcome.

The club is standing firm on its belief Dugan’s future is in the centres, where he plays for NSW and Australia. If Dugan and Widdop were both to leave at the end of the season, it would free up in the vicinity of $1.5 million a season to chase rival players.

That sort of money would put plenty of potential targets on the Dragons’ radar, considering some of the elite players coming off contract this year.

320a6421e273fb1559942f6c05f141eb

Negotiations between the Dragons and Josh Dugan are heading towards an imminent outcome. Picture. Phil Hillyard
Widdop has already knocked back the offer that was put to him, while it is believed Dugan’s management is pushing for $1 million a season.

Dragons head of recruitment Ian Millward said the club wanted to keep Dugan but also had to be realistic in respect to the salary cap.

“We are in negotiations but there is a value we put on (Dugan) and there is a value we put on his position,” Millward said.

It is believed the Dragons have a rival No. 1 in their sights but right now they are playing their cards close to their chest.

Another option would be to groom young Jai Field as a future No. 1, while Widdop also has experience playing fullback at Melbourne.

d81e0b13ca6877a9724ae68661e80e49

The Dragons are prepared to adopt a wait-and-see approach with Gareth Widdop. Picture: Mark Evans
There is speculation Dugan has told his management to consider all options and French rugby union has been mentioned.

Widdop and Dugan were both outstanding in the Dragons’ win over Penrith but the club has formed a view it needs to plan for 2018 and beyond.

While Dugan would no doubt be in hot demand from NRL rivals, it will be interesting to see if he can attract a better offer than $750,000 a season elsewhere.

It was only last year the Dragons held their ground on Benji Marshall who knocked back $350,000 before accepting less to salvage his career in Brisbane.

The Dragons have been crunched from $101 to $34 with the TAB in premiership betting.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
also, just a hint, if you want to get by the tele's subscription without paying, right click on the article you want to read,
- select 'copy link address'
- Open up google.com
- paste the link address in the google search bar
- select the first option in the google search

That works for me most of the time

Dragsters

First Grade
JDB is in for a huge season. Looks ripped as hell. He is running hard INTO the line. It's what we've all been waiting for. When he scored that try on the weekend and got up one thing went through my head...

...the beast has been unleashed!

Keep it up son!

Beat seven defenders on his way to the stripe and I reckon if the other 6 had a crack he probably beats them too!

He was brutal.

BrissyRedV

Bench
JDB is in for a huge season. Looks ripped as hell. He is running hard INTO the line. It's what we've all been waiting for. When he scored that try on the weekend and got up one thing went through my head...

...the beast has been unleashed!

Keep it up son!
The what looked like a tea bag on the opposition player was absolute gold as well. He monstered them.

BennyV

Referee
Telecrap seems to have forgotten all about Dufty.
So have many fans. Jai Field is all the rage now.

Until he gets injured or, like, drops the ball or something. Then we'll move on to someone else. Steve Marsters looks like he could be a good new messiah...

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I still have high hopes for Dufty. He was quiet in the Cutters game and he hogged the ball a bit when there was points on offer. But he did look dangerous, he always pokes his head through. Jai Field and him would be a lethal little combo of whippets.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Josh Dugan‘s contract D-Day, Jack De Belin set to sign new deal

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only

ST George Illawarra are poised to push forward a deadline on Josh Dugan to make a decision on his future — and D-Day could come in the next fortnight.

In the wake of the Dragons’ thumping 42-10 win over Penrith, The Daily Telegraph can also reveal tough lock Jack de Belin has all but agreed to a new three-year deal that should be finalised within days.

However, the future of Dugan and skipper Gareth Widdop is not nearly as clear. The Dragons have made no secret of the fact they want to keep Dugan and are prepared to make him potentially the highest-paid centre in the game.

It is understood the club has tabled an offer worth $750,000 a season for three years.

9499d611bf868aa06cede0ce8437b242

The Dragons are prepared to make Josh Dugan the highest paid centre in the game. Picture: Mark Evans
But unless the 26-year-old agrees that his long-term future is at centre and not fullback, there is every chance the Dragons will cut their losses and head in a new direction.

While the Dragons are prepared to adopt a wait-and-see approach with Widdop, negotiations with Dugan are heading towards a more immediate outcome.

The club is standing firm on its belief Dugan’s future is in the centres, where he plays for NSW and Australia. If Dugan and Widdop were both to leave at the end of the season, it would free up in the vicinity of $1.5 million a season to chase rival players.

That sort of money would put plenty of potential targets on the Dragons’ radar, considering some of the elite players coming off contract this year.

320a6421e273fb1559942f6c05f141eb

Negotiations between the Dragons and Josh Dugan are heading towards an imminent outcome. Picture. Phil Hillyard
Widdop has already knocked back the offer that was put to him, while it is believed Dugan’s management is pushing for $1 million a season.

Dragons head of recruitment Ian Millward said the club wanted to keep Dugan but also had to be realistic in respect to the salary cap.

“We are in negotiations but there is a value we put on (Dugan) and there is a value we put on his position,” Millward said.

It is believed the Dragons have a rival No. 1 in their sights but right now they are playing their cards close to their chest.

Another option would be to groom young Jai Field as a future No. 1, while Widdop also has experience playing fullback at Melbourne.

d81e0b13ca6877a9724ae68661e80e49

The Dragons are prepared to adopt a wait-and-see approach with Gareth Widdop. Picture: Mark Evans
There is speculation Dugan has told his management to consider all options and French rugby union has been mentioned.

Widdop and Dugan were both outstanding in the Dragons’ win over Penrith but the club has formed a view it needs to plan for 2018 and beyond.

While Dugan would no doubt be in hot demand from NRL rivals, it will be interesting to see if he can attract a better offer than $750,000 a season elsewhere.

It was only last year the Dragons held their ground on Benji Marshall who knocked back $350,000 before accepting less to salvage his career in Brisbane.

The Dragons have been crunched from $101 to $34 with the TAB in premiership betting.

the dragons have a rival number 1 in their sights

Could it be Tedesco? I hope so. I do heard that we were close to signing him a few years ago before he really made it. I am still hoping for a package deal of Teddy and Moses. We could build a team around the likes of Tedesco, Moses and Hunt. What other top fullbacks could we be looking to sign for 2018? I can't think of any other top fullbacks who are coming off contract. Milford would fit the bill if we were trying to sign him as a fullback. It was said on this site that we were apparently chasing Milford.

I like this artical. I think we have got it right about Dugan. His future lies at centre. He will be the highest paid centre in the game if he signs with us for $750K a season. I think Dugan should take the 750k while it is on offer. I doubt that he will get much more than 750K a season. He had a great game yesterday. I do recall his form for us when he first came to us. He was playing for a new contract then and played out of his skin.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If this talk about the club targeting a rival fullback is true the only player that makes sense is Tedesco.

Now Dufty still has an opportunity to prove himself this year, I truly believe he has what it takes and if he succeeds then all this rival fullback talk is pointless.
However, IF (and please understand me when I say IF) someone like Tedesco is in the frame, then the club needs to throw everything they have at him. Tedesco is a once in a generation player, he is the kind of player than could single handedly win you a game and he will undoubtedly be the NSW fullback for years to come.
It makes me a little bit sick to my stomach to say that because Dufty has put so much hard work in, but Tedesco is just in a league of his own and if he is willing to open himself to negotiations, the club should offer him a contract he can't refuse.

But again as I said, if Dufty proves himself all this talk is pointless. And don't get me wrong I WANT him to succeed. But this is James Tedesco we're talking about.

Bench
If we are to chase Tedesco I say throw the bank at him. In saying that feel sorry for Dufty if we sign. But it is a business and teams will always going to try and get the best available even it that results in Dufty being on the outer.
It's cutthroat now the million dollar mark is going to be quite common now and in years to come