What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

coolumsharkie

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/5970c7ab4e2b0f2fd5f523bc4ee0dc36
North Sydney Bears preparing a $7 million bid to take over the Gold Coast Titans
Dean Ritchie, Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
March 13, 2017 6:55pm
Subscriber only
THE North Sydney Bears are preparing an audacious $7 million bid to take over the Gold Coast Titans and rejoin the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Bears officials — led by general manager and former Test star Greg Florimo — have opened top-secret dialogue with the NRL about acquiring the financially-struggling Titans.

COMMENT: Why the NRL should bring back the Bears

Part of the deal would include Gold Coast undergoing yet another identity change by wearing Norths’ traditional red and black colours and being called the Gold Coast Bears.

Norths officials have already “sounded out” the NRL, who own the Titans’ licence after the club went into voluntary administration in February 2015.

The NRL is keen to offload the Gold Coast and is exploring all financial models.

1968f74fdeaa85d3f44f59cf1a549b77

Could Jarryd Hayne become a Bear?
Bears officials have been closely — and quietly — monitoring the Titans’ financial plight in recent years. The main question though is whether $7 million would be enough to secure the Titans.

It is understood the proposed buyout would include the new club playing three games a year in NSW, with two of those likely to be at the Bears’ latest home, Gosford, and the other at the club’s spiritual home, North Sydney Oval, as part of an NRL retro round.

The remainder of the home games would be played at the Cbus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast.

“There is interest from Norths,” one source, who declined to be named, said.

“I think they are just waiting for the NRL to say they’re ready for the sale process to start. Norths are waiting for the green flag to be dropped so they could get their bid under way.”

No official application from the Bears has been lodged with the NRL.

After last playing in the NRL in 1999 before three years as part of the failed Northern Eagles joint venture with Manly, Bears officials fear the club will never gain stand-alone status again in a national competition.

Negotiations have ramped up recently and are ongoing. No decision though is imminent.

One well-placed source claimed talks were at a “delicate” stage but an NRL spokesman said despite owning the Titans for two years, the club wasn’t actually on the market.

“The NRL has always said it is not a long-term owner of the Titans,” the spokesman said. “However, at this stage, we have not put the club on the market so we have not even considered any options yet.”

EARLY MAIL: Who’s in and who’s out

LOWDOWN: How did your team fare?

Some NRL officials are concerned about another possible change of brand for the Gold Coast who, since their inception in 1988 have been known as the Giants, Seagulls, Gladiators, Chargers and now the Titans.

“I’m not sure the NRL has an appetite for another name change for Gold Coast,” a source said.

The profitable North Sydney Leagues Club already operates Seagulls Club in Tweed Heads.

The Daily Telegraph contacted Florimo but he preferred not to comment.

Gold Coast chief executive Graham Annesley would also not speak about the Bears’ approach.

“As an employee of the club any comment on the sale process can only come from the current owners, the NRL,” Annesley said.

The Bears currently play in the NSW Cup as South Sydney’s feeder club

jim_57

Staff member
Nahhh.

If the NRL allow this they have to stipulate that 0 games are to be taken from the Gold Coast and absolutely no possibility of relication. They can't buy the Gold Coast and still lay claim to Central Coast as well, all or nothing.

no name

Coach
“There is interest from Norths,” one source, who declined to be named, said.
And
“However, at this stage, we have not put the club on the market so we have not even considered any options yet.”
And
The Daily Telegraph contacted Florimo but he preferred not to comment.

Riveting article with no actual sources. How Un-DT like.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I like it. I'd hope that Qld based fans would get entry in to their away game at Suncorp as part of their membership to compensate losing some games similar to what Dogs/Souths/Eels do with their away games at ANZ

no name

Coach
I like it. I'd hope that Qld based fans would get entry in to their away game at Suncorp as part of their membership to compensate losing some games similar to what Dogs/Souths/Eels do with their away games at ANZ
Get Stadiums Qld to do a deal that benefitted NRL (GC in particular) fans? Not likely.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont think ANOTHER name change is really what the Titans needs....

Personally, i think they should keep the name and change the logo (what does a gladiator have to do with Titans anyway?)

I would love to see some mythical ocean monster as the club mascot (a Kraken or a Leviathan or something). It gives us the aquatic angle to get SOME local vibe and the mythological creature mostly justifies the name "Titans"

Imagine all of weird marketing/merchandising angles you could do with that as you logo...

Brutus

Referee
I like it. Stuff Gosford though. Retro round at North Sydney Oval and the rest at Robina.

Canard

Immortal
Rehashed old news.

Where are Norths getting $7M from?? There Leagues club?? Leagues clubs aren't into pouring $50M+ into buying and operating a team that will lose money.

big hit!

Bench
Rehashed old news.

Where are Norths getting $7M from?? There Leagues club?? Leagues clubs aren't into pouring $50M+ into buying and operating a team that will lose money.
The venue deal is the killer for Titans at the mo. Dunno how playing less games there will make it easier. The Suns hold mgmt rights over Carrara which is the major differentiator between the two clubs

Canard

Immortal
The venue deal is the killer for Titans at the mo. Dunno how playing less games there will make it easier. The Suns hold mgmt rights over Carrara which is the major differentiator between the two clubs

The Bears are a name, so the Tele gives them oxygen, for mine I don't see them as being in any stronger position to buy an NRL team then any other consortium.

Also notice how it's never the Knights that get mentioned?

no name

Coach
It is a merkin of a deal

Incorrect

Coach
I would love to see some mythical ocean monster as the club mascot (a Kraken or a Leviathan or something). It gives us the aquatic angle to get SOME local vibe and the mythological creature mostly justifies the name "Titans"

I like it! Mythical, just like the Gold Coast Supporter base....

How about the Gold Coast Merman's

merman_in_blue_by_daekazu-d8gpf3v.jpg

mongoose

Coach
Dumb idea. The Bears will fail and eventually take most games to Gosford.

I like how the media has suddenly jumped on the "Titans are about to fold" story again just cause Hayne is unhappy there.