What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary's use of interchange

blacksafake

First Grade
Ever so true Maxwell , I am leaning more towards the latter . Plus the other coaches seem to have just that wee bit more ' footy smarts ' than our Mary . Then to tell all and sundry that our big , big pack will be playing straight up the middle of oppositions defences , must surely put a smile on their faces .

I wonder if Joe the Gadget man sells an instruction booklet , on how to be a successful 1st coach ?
You've taken me back now Gareth with joe the gadget man. If my memory serves me right Saturday mornings & was it "Don't forget to bring your money with you ":slight_smile:

Old Timer

Coach
You've taken me back now Gareth with joe the gadget man. If my memory serves me right Saturday mornings & was it "Don't forget to bring your money with you ":slight_smile:
Joe the gadget man doing his stuff for Nock & Kirby's on a Saturday morning and quite correct "Don't forget to bring your money with you"
Loved him and my other favourite was Professor Julius Sumner Miller "why is it so"

SaintPauli

Juniors
The game plan against Parra all wrong. Corey Norman should have been a priority to shut down. No sign there from coach. Errors and panic set in. Need to lift dramatically for Sharks

dragonssamy61

First Grade
No plan b.
At all as soon as we were behind we went back to the conservative style of the last to years.
Then when it was to late they moved the ball more.
Mary thinks you can play the same way against every team.
If we play like we did against parra against the sharks they will smash us.

SBD82

Coach
I don't think you can blame Mary for that. He has delegated interchange, recruitment, speed, fitness, team selection to other staff. He now is simply in charge of his bank account.
What a load of shit.

No chance Mrs Mary lets him control the purse strings. She told him she took away control of the money so that he can focus on coaching.

Gareth67

First Grade

Would you believe that my old man would always watch his shows every Saturday , without fail . Joe could sell just about anything and everything ,
I can still , quite painfully , recall the look on Dads face when the latest Etectric Hair Cutter came on the show .
To cut a long story short , he ordered one of those things and when it arrived a month later , he wasted no time in using it .
Me ( being somewhat slower then the rest of my 6 brothers and sisters , who saw what was coming and had quickly raced out of the house , leaving me behind ), was conned by Dad into being his first ' patient ' .

He then , no joke , placed a tin pot , yes a bluudy tin pot , on my head and started to ' buzz ' away and in the process nicked my ear . Blood was pouring from the , at least to me , a deep gash in my skull , and I screamed blue murder scaring the old boy half to death .

Of course he then stopped and told me not to say anything to Mum , in the process shoving one of those big chewy toffees in my mouth .
Naturally I took the chewy toffee and promised Dad that I would not say a word .
When my Mum came home I raced up,to her , told her what the old boy had done . She in turn went into the house and tore strips from the poor blighter , who in the process gave me a most unnerving stare .

A true story and I blame it all on dear old Joe the Gadget man .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
After being so successful the previous week, the plan was to move the point of our forwards attack to the right side of the field even though Thompson scored a 3 tries on the left the previous week. Surely that confused the opposition!

SEAT 1A

Bench
Poor old Mann was left on the bench while Parra just us to pieces. Mary had a solution on the interchange, didn't use it. Why?

Walpole

Juniors
After being so successful the previous week, the plan was to move the point of our forwards attack to the right side of the field even though Thompson scored a 3 tries on the left the previous week. Surely that confused the opposition!

Yeah, but that's kind of consistent with giving our top tryscorer from last season just 13 minutes so far this year.

Thommo's lucky he wasn't dropped.

Old Timer

Coach
blacksafake, Gareth, Samy
Mum & Dad took us Nock & Kirby's one year at Christmas time just to see Joe (in his apron of course) doing his demonstrations.
They had everything including boats, trailers, tents every conceivable gadget know to mankind and of course the demonstration kitchen.
Funnily Gareth dad also got a set of the infamous Breville hair clippers complete with 3 sizes of combs and the plastic cover to put over the victim.
Whilst we didn't get the tin pot on the head dad used me being the youngest of 3 for practice, didn't put on a comb and clipped my ear lobe and of course blood gushing everywhere.
Cotton ball with Friar's Balsam OUCH stopped the bleeding and dad quickly gave the clippers to mum and said "Happy Christmas".
Dad always had great ideas about things especially trying to save a quid but if it went pair shape it was quickly "over to you darling" still makes me laugh.
If not mistaken mum also got the plastic vegetable dicer, chopper thing that was round with had the long push down handle on the top.

Vinnie

Juniors
No plan b.
At all as soon as we were behind we went back to the conservative style of the last to years.
Then when it was to late they moved the ball more.
Mary thinks you can play the same way against every team.
If we play like we did against parra against the sharks they will smash us.

Hey Dragonsammy61 have to correct you there ... can't have a plan B if you don't have a "PLAN A" thought you would have realised this by now buddy

BrissyRedV

Bench
It's obvious Mary cannot think on his feet. He would've needed the committee to get involved to change his in change plan.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If only I had dollar for every time I've said McGregor's interchange useage is awful....

This has been bleeding obvious since his game as 'coach'. In fact, I believe this played a part in Trent Merrin's departure.

Apropos Packer, did anyone else notice him ambling aimlessly back into the defensive line when Parramatta had possession for the first time? This was after an arduous couple of minutes....pathetic!

If I had any jurisdiction, he would've been 'hoofed' at that point for his lack of urgency.

As for Mann, well, I'm shocked he received ANY game time at all, however, a back on the bench is a waste of resources. Aitken cut an angry figure as he came off.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Packer and Vaughan played same amount of minutes in first half again before being replaced. It's obvious that Mary is going into the game with his interchanges predetermined. Obviously didn't hurt us this week but definitely did last week as we were on the wrong end of the possession stats and forced to do much more work in defence.

What I'm wondering is, in an era where so much data is recorded during the week with GPS, v02 max and heart rate monitors etc why is Mary going in each week with the same cookie cutter interchange plan? Why even collect the data?

It's all well and good to have a pre-determined idea about when your changes will be made, but it has to be flexible as well depending on the flow of the game and the physical outputs of each player.

At present Packer/Vaughan and Sims/Ah Mau are being treated as though their physical outputs are identical. For example it looks to me that Vaughan is capable of playing much longer minutes than Packer. He can justify the 26 or so minutes he's playing each half (probably even more TBH) but Packer's impact drops off quickly after about the 15min mark.

j0nesy

Bench
I'd like to see another prop in the rotation if he's not going to give one of the young blokes a proper go.