What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs Panthers @ Campbelltown Stadium

Who will win? Round 2: Wests Tigers v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clifferd

Coach
I rewatched the match last night and really, it isn't all as bad as what the scoreline suggests

Key factors:

Bench selections...we matched Penrith for the first 30 minutes, quite well actually and should have had atleast 2 tries..as soon as woods and Ava came off we replaced them with two second rowers and Penrith steamrolled us

Moylan had an absolute field day against us, which was...once again due to our poor bench selection and our team running out of puff

Penrith scored off a clear offside kick and that pass moylan threw to peachey that lead to Edwards try was forward 100%

Our halves were diabolical. I think we kicked out on the full about 4 times putting our team under immense pressure, not to mention a few 7 tackle sets given away

It isn't all doom and gloom, better bench selections and it may have been a better contest imo. There is definitely improvement in some areas but there is also some of the same ugly stuff we've been having for years

Tiger Woody

Juniors
This may be a big part of the problem but who knows. I'd love to see where all the money is going. Are we paying Woods $1 million per year ?
Hillbilly is on around 700k i have heard.
Hes really an old type prop,run it up,play the ball slowly....
Doesnt put fear into opposition at all..thats what we miss.....

Tiger05

First Grade

He is a good player. So was Robbie though. It's not about throwing crazy money at these guys. It's about paying them a fair wage. I wonder if $700k is fair for a quality prop. I get the impression some of the guys who were juniors at our club want overs to stay. They should accept unders.

Tiger05

First Grade
I rewatched the match last night and really, it isn't all as bad as what the scoreline suggests

Key factors:

Bench selections...we matched Penrith for the first 30 minutes, quite well actually and should have had atleast 2 tries..as soon as woods and Ava came off we replaced them with two second rowers and Penrith steamrolled us

Moylan had an absolute field day against us, which was...once again due to our poor bench selection and our team running out of puff

Penrith scored off a clear offside kick and that pass moylan threw to peachey that lead to Edwards try was forward 100%

Our halves were diabolical. I think we kicked out on the full about 4 times putting our team under immense pressure, not to mention a few 7 tackle sets given away

It isn't all doom and gloom, better bench selections and it may have been a better contest imo. There is definitely improvement in some areas but there is also some of the same ugly stuff we've been having for years

You nailed it. We weren't that bad. Chee-Kam though can't defend in the centres. When he is out there our left side of the field is worse than the right defensively. I reckon Chee-Kam is actually pretty good but we need to stop leaking points.

Our bench was terrible. Our halves were terrible. Our left edge was leaking like a sieve. If we fix the bench though against most teams we can probably go pretty well. We can't though handle a team that is big and athletic. Canberra will probably put us to the torch.

macnaz

Staff member
Old style prop??
Like who , old style props were the exact opposite. Woods would not exist as an OLD style prop. . Dallas , Chief , Blocker , Tunks , Carroll, Beetson , Cement etc etc etc ... ALL RAN hard and HIT hard ... unlike woods unfortunately. But he is what he is.

Das Hassler

Bench
Woods certainly isnt a fire and brimbstone style of prop (yet) but he does draw defenders like flies and has an offload ....Kerry Hemsley only realised how damaging he could be the last few years of his career. Woods is hardening up as a prop and captain..he's a way's off from his potential but he will get there

Tiger05

First Grade
True Des ... so put a $ figure on buying that potential ?

This is the big question isn't it. We can't pay these guys based on potential or past performances or anything like that. They need to earn their salaries. It's big money doing what they love.

I watched the reply last night and thought that we were fine for 30 minutes.

If only we were able to score one of those potential tries !!!

OK so we missed Grant as a late withdrawal but not only do we not have another big bopper who can come on and keep the momentum up, to me, our backs besides being bad readers in defense, seemed to tire.

I look at Teddy and wonder why I he doesn't see that there are opportunities from dummy half, the same with Suli, Nofoaluma and Naiqama is it coached out of them? Gee even old Fitzhenry had a go from dummy half.

Are those backs fit? Or is JT aiming to have them peak in round 26 ?

Das Hassler

Bench
True Des ... so put a $ figure on buying that potential ?

The difference is that it's always taken a good few years for a consistently dominant prop to learn his trade....Beetson was an exception but there"s only ever been one of him no matter the silly comparisons made to Fafita...barring serious injury woods has at least 7 or 8 years to go at the top level so the investment in his potential is sound. ..keep in mind that his potential is to get BETTER than he is now...not to be an acceptably good consistent prop...he's already that
Edit....just to add...woods does have me go..
" oh FFS!" quite often as well but you know how that is...

Last edited:

Tiger Woody

Juniors
The difference is that it's always taken a good few years for a consistently dominant prop to learn his trade....Beetson was an exception but there"s only ever been one of him no matter the silly comparisons made to Fafita...barring serious injury woods has at least 7 or 8 years to go at the top level so the investment in his potential is sound. ..keep in mind that his potential is to get BETTER than he is now...not to be an acceptably good consistent prop...he's already that
Edit....just to add...woods does have me go..
" oh FFS!" quite often as well but you know how that is...

Hillbilly wont leave...All he talks about is Leichhardt postcode 2040..
Wish he was a bit more intimidating though.....

Tiger Ted

Bench
Hillbilly wont leave...All he talks about is Leichhardt postcode 2040..
Wish he was a bit more intimidating though.....
I was disappointed to also c the effeminate & sympathetic side to him regarding him going easy on the sublime GI after he did his knee.Everyone should b fair game on the ground in this machismo sport although the pansy skirt wearing metrosexuals representing WT act like it's a game of hopscotch

No wonder this pussy club has a habit of hoisting the white flag when the going gets tough !!

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Old style prop??
Like who , old style props were the exact opposite. Woods would not exist as an OLD style prop. . Dallas , Chief , Blocker , Tunks , Carroll, Beetson , Cement etc etc etc ... ALL RAN hard and HIT hard ... unlike woods unfortunately. But he is what he is.

Old style props as in those who trundled up to the defence ..turned their backs and trundled another few steps...The ones you mentioned were the classy ones.
He doesnt have an athletic body,power or intimidation to be like those guys...
he needs more minutes in him.Maybe a haircut would do it.?
So to be honest i dont care if he stays or goes."props of his elk can be replaced"

Tiger05

First Grade
Old style props as in those who trundled up to the defence ..turned their backs and trundled another few steps...The ones you mentioned were the classy ones.
He doesnt have an athletic body,power or intimidation to be like those guys...
he needs more minutes in him.Maybe a haircut would do it.?
So to be honest i dont care if he stays or goes."props of his elk can be replaced"

I reckon he is great but you are 100% correct in that he can be replaced. Ava isn't far off Woods level. The problem is that he is our captain and I can see us paying overs.

There is a culture at the Tigers of wanting overs. Benji & Robbie were exactly the same and it seems to have continued on.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
I was disappointed to also c the effeminate & sympathetic side to him regarding him going easy on the sublime GI after he did his knee.Everyone should b fair game on the ground in this machismo sport although the pansy skirt wearing metrosexuals representing WT act like it's a game of hopscotch

No wonder this pussy club has a habit of hoisting the white flag when the going gets tough !!

Its the long hair doing it.
Turning him into a softy..

Tiger Woody

Juniors
I reckon he is great but you are 100% correct in that he can be replaced. Ava isn't far off Woods level. The problem is that he is our captain and I can see us paying overs.

There is a culture at the Tigers of wanting overs. Benji & Robbie were exactly the same and it seems to have continued on.

As ive said previously he loves his 2040..
It would break his heart to leave.
Plus he wouldnt be captain in any other team.
I cant fathom him and Cordner are favourites to captain NSW.....We are in big trouble if thats the case.

I missed these comments yesterday Tiger Ted - I agree and was going to say the same last week but chickened out, thinking perhaps I was wrong and the game has changed.

But, can you imagine Sam Burgess going soft in that game if it was a Tigers player? Paul Gallen, Nate Myles, Gordon Tallis,

Tiger Ted

Bench
I missed these comments yesterday Tiger Ted - I agree and was going to say the same last week but chickened out, thinking perhaps I was wrong and the game has changed.

But, can you imagine Sam Burgess going soft in that game if it was a Tigers player? Paul Gallen, Nate Myles, Gordon Tallis,
No guessing re what blocker or Dallas would've done in that situation .I reckon a few other of Inglis's ligaments would have been torn !! This isn't a f**king game of netball & the compassionate comments from our club captain who plays in the engine room.I wonder what the wok would've said to woods re the comments if he were the coach !

Tiger Woody

Juniors
No guessing re what blocker or Dallas would've done in that situation .I reckon a few other of Inglis's ligaments would have been torn !! This isn't a f**king game of netball & the compassionate comments from our club captain who plays in the engine room.I wonder what the wok would've said to woods re the comments if he were the coach !

Hillbilly Woods doesnt cut it as a prop who would scare anyone.....
Hit it up
turn your back at the defence
walk a few more steps
try to unload
if he cant falls to the ground and slow play the ball
Oh and finally adjust the hair ribbon...lol
Thats Hillbilly every week.