What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do we need to recruit in 2018?

Tiger Woody

Juniors
I think we need 2 good defensive centres now that Simona has gone,with some attack as well (Whare for 1)
A forward who scares the defence (we dont have anyone like that now)
Resign Teddy,Moses and Nofa.Hillbilly Woods too.....Dont care too much about Brooks.
We should have some spare cash at the end of 2017...

Whoever is the recruitment manager should have been sacked a few years ago.
Give me 120k a year and i would do a better job,as others on here would as well..Not rocket science is it.
Signing (Grace Jones) Naiqama,Rankin,Edwards,Milone, etc..Duds...Even Ballin seems like a waste of money .
Doesnt look like Idris has it either.....too cumbersome and slow for back, after all his talk .

Last edited:

Clifferd

Coach
Make our priority resigning Teddy Moses woods Nofo first

Push Suli into the centres

If Idris doesn't kick on obviously don't bother resigning him so we should be looking at a quality centre...Dean Whare might be a good choice

Naiqama can play wing

Try and get De Belin on board

Send an S.O.S to Steve Folkes

Tiger05

First Grade
I like the idea of Suli in the centres. We need two of him or another centre. I don't think Idris is going to cut it in the centres based on what we've seen. Then we need to get the backrow spots right as well. Maybe Idris could play there.

We have the makings of a good team with some glaring holes mostly on our edges. We need to fix that.

We need at least one quality signing on the edges. Tedesco is the basis of our club and if he gets a solid team around him we should do well. Woods can lead the pack but we have to pay him a fair wage for a prop. Not pay him as the best player in the game. I'd keep both Moses and Brooks. I think if our pack goes forward and we have strike power in the backs they can do the job. We can't pay these two like superstars because they aren't.

macnaz

Staff member
Brookes and Moses can both f**k off.
Pointless spending a zillion on 2 players and have zero left for the actual team.. they look great on fancy days .. BUT have never seen either win us a game when under pressure .
2 million Bucks would BUY at least 5-6 real good first graders .. not 2 average guys with a limited exciting highlights reel.
Back to Basics i recon..

Last edited:
I was simply going to say, a coach and a defensive coach until I read
Send an S.O.S to Steve Folkes
, Yes Clifferd, I'd have him as the Coaching Director/Football Club Manager with sole responsibility for employing the coach for all 3 grades. His role can also include the duties of defensive coach and he can mentor the NSW Cup & U 20's coach so that all teams are defending to the same patterns.

As an excellent defensive coach, I think that Folkes also has another important role. If the recruitment manager says lets go after A, B or C it has to go via Folkes for his approval because there are plenty of good players out there who are turnstiles and we cannot afford anymore than what we already have in the squad.

Interesting that N Henry reportedly sends out an SOS to Copley playing for Wyong, Tigers management couldn't spell SOS.

Tiger05

First Grade
Pointless spending a zillion on 2 players and have zero left for the actual team.. they look great on fancy days .. BUT have never seen either win us a game when under pressure .
2 million Bucks would BUY at least 5-6 real good first graders .. not 2 average guys with a limited exciting highlights reel.
Back to Basics i recon..

I want them both to stay. They can perform in those roles and they may improve. They aren't though worth what they seem to be asking. I honestly don't see how they are worth 1/2 of their stated asking price.

Clifferd

Coach
Back to Basics i recon..

Moses won us a few games last year under pressure & but you're right in saying his bad games are atrocious and it rebounds onto the rest of the team. Id still persist with him though

Brooks on the other hand really needs to pull his finger out of his ass and string along consistent performances or gtfo

Tiger05

First Grade
I saw Jack De Bellin has resigned with Saints. He appears to be a real good player and there isn't the massive drama when he signs for the club. I wonder how long the resigning saga is going to play out for us.

macnaz

Staff member
Heres a question for everyone ..
Looking at the storm side .. most backline positions are easily replaced by them except for Cronk.
So lets say they could buy Moses or Brookes ... which one could be moulded into a consistent alround player that the side can be built around ?

I know my answer .

Tiger05

First Grade
Moses at the moment is a lot better than Brooks but I reckon he has a lot to improve on in his game. I'm starting to think Brooks may not ever become a player to build a team around. Brooks does have a lot of ability but he has to get his game right.

macnaz

Staff member
One is a selfish egotistical over confident whinger who fails to see his own inefficiencies while berating others..that has some skill and ability

The other is submissive and impressionable player who appears to lack confidence .. but also has skills and abilities perhaps even at a higher level than the other

Thats my take on the 2 .

Tiger05

First Grade
Macnaz - you make some good points. I still think that Moses is completely outperforming Brooks and that is what I would bet on continuing.

They are both at this point completely overrated. A tonne of ability but they aren't getting the job done especially when the team is in trouble. This is what really concerns me. We can't grind out wins. If the forwards aren't winning the battle or Tedesco/Nofo aren't winning the game for us these two aren't stepping up and pushing us to a win. It's not like they are deserving of huge dollars at this point. At the right price I have no problems with both of them.

Das Hassler

Bench
Recruitment officer ...coaching director ...whatever...i'd coax Warren Ryan out of retirement just to have him around the place....one size fits all
semi serious....

Clifferd

Coach
Moses tries hard which you can't fault someone for that

But I do fear his ego sometimes gets in the way of his game, maybe he needs to have a 1 on 1 chat with one of the coaches to get this out of his game.

macnaz

Staff member
Moses tries hard which you can't fault someone for that

But I do fear his ego sometimes gets in the way of his game, maybe he needs to have a 1 on 1 chat with one of the coaches to get this out of his game.
Maybe JT can have a chat like he did with Farah

Shredder

Juniors
This year is a real opportunity for us to sort out our roster for the next three years at least.

I would sign Teddy and Woods asap.

Then dangle carrots for Brookes and Moses - here is what we are offering, if we make the 8 this year, you get another 10% if we make the GF add 15% etc etc.

Im with Macnaz - all things being equal and long-term I would sign Brookes over Moses. Moses is simply going to search for cash again when his next contract is up. Im willing to bet my lefty that Moses wont be a one club player.

But what we need to sign next year is presumably depth.
Taylor has by now the team he wants........

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Couple of decent defensive centres..with some toe as well
couple backrowers...1 similar to Gareth Ellis.
We should have money from Farah by then...And Simona's as well

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brooks will be fine if he gets some mobile forwards in the middle and solid defenders and line runners on the edges.
If I could sign any players:
Wade Graham
Ryan Matterson
Kerrod Holland
Bunty Afoa
Ata Hingano
Jack de Belin

And I'd get rid of
Naiqama
Idris
Lovett

While expecting E.Taylor to leave as he has rumoured to want to return to NZ

With Farah, Simona and Sironen's money all paid out, we should have the coin to chase these guys.

1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Matterson*
4 - Holland*
5 - Suli
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Liddle
10 - Sue
11 - Lawrence
12 - Graham*
13 - de Belin*

14 - Afoa*
15 - Grant
16 - Aloiai
17 - Seumanufagai

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Brooks will be fine if he gets some mobile forwards in the middle and solid defenders and line runners on the edges.
If I could sign any players:
Wade Graham
Ryan Matterson
Kerrod Holland
Bunty Afoa
Ata Hingano
Jack de Belin

And I'd get rid of
Naiqama
Idris
Lovett

While expecting E.Taylor to leave as he has rumoured to want to return to NZ

With Farah, Simona and Sironen's money all paid out, we should have the coin to chase these guys.

1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Matterson*
4 - Holland*
5 - Suli
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Liddle
10 - Sue
11 - Lawrence
12 - Graham*
13 - de Belin*

14 - Afoa*
15 - Grant
16 - Aloiai
17 - Seumanufagai

Madunit im not a fan of Holland..
the others you mentioned i agree with.
Think Lawrence isnt cutting it in forwards either...
Misses lot of tackles opposition score from
Like the young first timer who ran thru him from Penrith.

Latest posts