What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Contract

shaggs

Coach
With the interchange at 8 per game and likely to end up at 6 within the next two years. Surely a utility like bird is worth more money?
Jack Gibson used to say pick the best 13 players and let the positions sort themselves out.
He would be in all 16 teams top 13.

For those frothing on Bird at fullback.... Did you not see his woeful positioning in defence when the line was broken? If Barba is playing Rapana doesn't score their second try.

The Raiders refused to hold the ball and in the end it would've been the easiest game for any half decent player to shine at fullback with our forwards deadset steamrolling them and the Raiders creating next to zero kick pressure. He would be found out against the Cows and Storm and as noted, he would get zero help from Feki and Lee.

He's a great stop gap there but not a long term 1. 3, 13 or 6 he will go well and will command top dollar there.

He won't play Origin ahead of Reynolds and Pearce.

Give him another season or two to master game management and build even more self-confidence in his running game. The development is noticeable already this season.

Although whether he'd ever be picked ahead of the resident zoophilic is another question, totally unrelated to form.

cb4

First Grade
He'll be what, 28 then? Nathan Cleary will have leap frogged him at that stage as well.

I like Chad, and his importance to us and his combination with Maloney is very good, but calling him a rep half is pretty far fetched.

cb4

First Grade
For those frothing on Bird at fullback.... Did you not see his woeful positioning in defence when the line was broken? If Barba is playing Rapana doesn't score their second try.

The Raiders refused to hold the ball and in the end it would've been the easiest game for any half decent player to shine at fullback with our forwards deadset steamrolling them and the Raiders creating next to zero kick pressure. He would be found out against the Cows and Storm and as noted, he would get zero help from Feki and Lee.

He's a great stop gap there but not a long term 1. 3, 13 or 6 he will go well and will command top dollar there.

I noticed it. Was very deep. Didn't read the run at all.
Shouldn't have been in that position though as it was a stock standard tackle missed.
Seemed very slow to make the ground as well.

shaggs

Coach
It's a bit rough measuring him against barba.

I thought birds involvement was much better and more enthusiastic playing fullback.

Sure he probably ain't going to be the long term fullback but for a guy named in the centres and never played nrl, his positional play wasn't too bad. It would take more than 10 minutes to decide how deep to be.
And like cb said, if the front line doesn't miss a simple tackle then it's a non event

ghoti

Bench
Let's be honest here, Bird played awesome at fullback. However, he hardly got kicked to at all last night, don't think he was tested under the high ball either. Taking this into consideration he really played like a old school lock.

Sign him as Gals replacement, let him play what he see's in front of him.

Yeah this is a good point...When he trialled at fullback last year he was awful Fielding kicks. Gotta give him time before we panic about fitting him in

Plastered

Juniors
For those frothing on Bird at fullback.... Did you not see his woeful positioning in defence when the line was broken?

Yep very obvious - was back pedalling when he should've been moving up. Massive head scratcher by Wicky not to target him with kicks (although the Fek was a good target too). Was very happy with him when we had the ball though, trailed the play in the middle which was good to see.

calling him a rep half is pretty far fetched

Agree to disagree. I'm not sure on the relevant ages and may have under-estimated in favour of the Chad. You're probably right but I'll stand by predicting his development to rep quality. Possibly like the Peach, not often selected but nonetheless rep standard in the opinion of many.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Doubt it on Tedesco... Didn't we just sign Holmes on first grade fullback money?

Yeah thats what I thought also.

I can't see it being true but I'll keep digging. Maybe its a ploy by his manager to jack up a few extra 50k's per year

Frenzy.

Immortal
Teddy probably comes at the same, or close, price as Bird.

Teddy is probably a better fullback than Humphrey. Now. Many unknowns with Humph.He has also already signed and will have to play where he fits the team best or spit the dummy if not fullback.

All things beimg equal and living in the now, Teddy over Humph 11/10 times.

I expect this is rumour only and lots of water to pass under the bridge.

As to Bird, he well may be bored as a centre but he may well serve the team better there.

Imagine a right side of Bird/Humph off the ballplaying of Teddy.

Returning to dreamland now