What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future spine

You keep Maloney there as long as possible

^
This.

Too often footy teams have been guilty of moving experienced and proven players for the next big thing being dubbed a future Super Star.

I'm sure the Bulldogs regret punting Ennis for Lichaa and the Roosters regret punting Maloney for Hastings.

MilkShark

First Grade
We should keep Maloney as long as we can and look to switch Bird in 5/8 when once Maloney hangs up the boots.

If we play our cards smart we look at being in a very similar position to the Storm with Smith, Cronk, Slater and Inglis. Except with he salary cap increase coming up we should be able to keep them all unlike Storm who had to offload Inglis, plus we could add someone like Taumalolo.

cb4

First Grade
Chad and Bird are asking for the same amount of Money. I can only see one being re-signed. I could see us letting Chad go again and next year have a halves combo of Bird and Maloney, and then when Maloney retires young Flanno taking his spot.

Chad and Bird are asking for the same amount of Money. I can only see one being re-signed. I could see us letting Chad go again and next year have a halves combo of Bird and Maloney, and then when Maloney retires young Flanno taking his spot.

If that is the case they have to re sign Bird ASAP.

If say Brisbane sign Townsend first then Bird's management will ask for more money because they'll know they'll have the Sharks by the balls.

I will say that I like Townsend but not if Orr is asking 900k for him.

He might be a Premiership winning half back but I know who set up the breaks and tries in the GF.

It wasn't Townsend.

shaggs

Coach
Bird is 21 and chad is 26.

Surely everyone agrees there is more potential upside to resigning bird.

But chad does his job of directing the team with Maloney as the dominate ball
Player.

If bird was the 6, then Maloney is the director and ball player, while bird runs.

SharkShocked

Bench
Also a tough decision if you are planning on Maloney staying.

Hasn't signed a contract extension at any club he has ever been at if i remember correctly.

No reason to think he would stay beyond his current contract.

shaggs

Coach
Also a tough decision if you are planning on Maloney staying.

Hasn't signed a contract extension at any club he has ever been at if i remember correctly.

No reason to think he would stay beyond his current contract.

Maloney will be 32 and a half at the end of 2018 contract
He does t seem like the type of guy to play on until he is 36 or 37.
2 year deal and retire at of 2020 at 34.5

Well I asked our man on the inside, Special K, about Maloney's intentions and at the time K said Maloney wants to finish his career with us.
Anything different now, K?

cb4

First Grade
No reason to think Maloney won't stay. Unless the emergence of a youngster or someone like a Blake Austin became available, he will be here beyond his current deal.

cb4

First Grade
If that is the case they have to re sign Bird ASAP.

If say Brisbane sign Townsend first then Bird's management will ask for more money because they'll know they'll have the Sharks by the balls.

I will say that I like Townsend but not if Orr is asking 900k for him.

He might be a Premiership winning half back but I know who set up the breaks and tries in the GF.

It wasn't Townsend.

Sorry, I skimmed passed this. I agree with you, however, Bird & Chad are both testing the open market.
I cannot see Chad leaving Sydney as the reason he came was solely family, however, the Bulldogs are on the hunt (no pun intended) for a number 7, which could bring on a domino affect.

The Bulldogs have identified Luke Brooks as the future 7 of the club. The Tigers, whilst wanting to keep Brooks, know that Moses, Tedesco and Woods are more critical.
Townsend could be seen as someone who could slot into the 7 spot at the Tigers. Or he could go to the Dogs.

Latest posts