What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 : Vs Manly Lotto Land @ 5.30pm Saturday 11th March

Rabbits20

Immortal
Nice! I thought Musgrove did a bit better than what the stats were showing before! I think he is doing fine!
Yeah just his start was a bit lethargic. He has to be better starting.

He didn't start the best last week either.

His second stints have been really good!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
The ones saying Cook lost his effectiveness in certain parts of the field imo are being really harsh.

I can't fault Cook at all!!!!

souths_reborn

Juniors
Sorry for the late post but to those who were losing their heads over last weeks loss, the performance against Manly proved that their reaction was premature. I said last week that scoring points doesn't look like its going to a problem and I stand by that comment. The acquisition of Farah could arguably be the one that catapults us into top 8 contention. The hooking role was one of the most hotly contested subjects on these forums last year but the work of Farah on Saturday proved just how crucial a top class no. 9 is and also further emphasised how much we were lacking with McInnes in the team. You could see clearly what Farah was working towards the entire game - he plays with his head, has a plan and I think his ball-in-hand creativity really dovetails Adam Reynolds' attributes and also takes a lot of pressure off him too. Farah along with Reynolds and Cody Walker laid the platform for virtually all of our tries and really silenced those who constantly whinge that we play with no flair and that everything is the same etc. Also, maybe the influence of David Furner has helped these players shine as he was brought in to assist with the attacking side of things.

I'd also like to speak of our much maligned forward pack. Many people will argue that Manly had no front rowers and while that may be so, we still had to beat what was in front of us. Hats off to George Burgess! I don't know what has been said to him but what I saw on Saturday was reminiscent of his 2013-2014 form; sometimes I think the big bugger just needs to get angry! Sam was his usual inspirational best and I also saw real potential in the likes of Musgrove and Crichton - I wouldn't mind seeing Crichton come into the starting team for Kyle Turner at some point. Overall, I thought the forward really ripped in and really got Manly moving backwards. Mind you, it helps when you have two quality hookers helping them out!

I'm not sure if it has been spoken about but both our handling and discipline have been good in both games this season. I hope it was spoken about in the off season because those two aspects of the game really cost us last year. In particular, our handling errors really made it hard for us to compete against the better teams in the comp. On the contrary, when you are completing at 85% you are always going to give yourself a chance, even if you give up an 12-18 point lead early on. Similarly, we've managed to take a lot of defensive pressure off ourselves by not giving away penalties late in the tackle count and in bad positions in the field too.

In terms of our weaknesses, I think defence and the way we start games is going to be the issue. While the tries we gave away weren't necessarily shocking, better teams in the competition are going to capitalise on the 12 point (and potentially 18 point) leads. In saying that, I would be more worried if the tries we conceded were down to poor defensive reads or having our outside backs turned inside out and made to chase as has been the case for the last two seasons. What happened at Brookvale Oval was the product of us simply not muscling up; we had the numbers there and the players involved made reasonable decisions its just that they were overpowered.

In terms of the performances, its hard to fault anyone really. Like I said previously, I thought Robbie Farah was excellent and probably man of the match with Adam Reynolds a close second. The team that we fielded is probably our strongest 17 give or take a player or two. In particular, I really like our back line with Jennings and Hunt in the centres and Goodwin and Burns on the wing. There was much debate as to whether Alex Johnston was up to playing fullback but he didn't do anything wrong and really came alive in the second half. We will definitely face tougher challenges ahead but at least we have something to build on.

callmack1

Staff member
Sorry for the late post but to those who were losing their heads over last weeks loss, the performance against Manly proved that their reaction was premature. I said last week that scoring points doesn't look like its going to a problem and I stand by that comment. The acquisition of Farah could arguably be the one that catapults us into top 8 contention. The hooking role was one of the most hotly contested subjects on these forums last year but the work of Farah on Saturday proved just how crucial a top class no. 9 is and also further emphasised how much we were lacking with McInnes in the team. You could see clearly what Farah was working towards the entire game - he plays with his head, has a plan and I think his ball-in-hand creativity really dovetails Adam Reynolds' attributes and also takes a lot of pressure off him too. Farah along with Reynolds and Cody Walker laid the platform for virtually all of our tries and really silenced those who constantly whinge that we play with no flair and that everything is the same etc. Also, maybe the influence of David Furner has helped these players shine as he was brought in to assist with the attacking side of things.

I'd also like to speak of our much maligned forward pack. Many people will argue that Manly had no front rowers and while that may be so, we still had to beat what was in front of us. Hats off to George Burgess! I don't know what has been said to him but what I saw on Saturday was reminiscent of his 2013-2014 form; sometimes I think the big bugger just needs to get angry! Sam was his usual inspirational best and I also saw real potential in the likes of Musgrove and Crichton - I wouldn't mind seeing Crichton come into the starting team for Kyle Turner at some point. Overall, I thought the forward really ripped in and really got Manly moving backwards. Mind you, it helps when you have two quality hookers helping them out!

I'm not sure if it has been spoken about but both our handling and discipline have been good in both games this season. I hope it was spoken about in the off season because those two aspects of the game really cost us last year. In particular, our handling errors really made it hard for us to compete against the better teams in the comp. On the contrary, when you are completing at 85% you are always going to give yourself a chance, even if you give up an 12-18 point lead early on. Similarly, we've managed to take a lot of defensive pressure off ourselves by not giving away penalties late in the tackle count and in bad positions in the field too.

In terms of our weaknesses, I think defence and the way we start games is going to be the issue. While the tries we gave away weren't necessarily shocking, better teams in the competition are going to capitalise on the 12 point (and potentially 18 point) leads. In saying that, I would be more worried if the tries we conceded were down to poor defensive reads or having our outside backs turned inside out and made to chase as has been the case for the last two seasons. What happened at Brookvale Oval was the product of us simply not muscling up; we had the numbers there and the players involved made reasonable decisions its just that they were overpowered.

In terms of the performances, its hard to fault anyone really. Like I said previously, I thought Robbie Farah was excellent and probably man of the match with Adam Reynolds a close second. The team that we fielded is probably our strongest 17 give or take a player or two. In particular, I really like our back line with Jennings and Hunt in the centres and Goodwin and Burns on the wing. There was much debate as to whether Alex Johnston was up to playing fullback but he didn't do anything wrong and really came alive in the second half. We will definitely face tougher challenges ahead but at least we have something to build on.
Another brilliant post

MEMBERZONE: In his words: Braidon Burns Recaps His NRL Debut
Story: Braidon Burns

Mon 13th March, 05:49PM

1489387992582.jpg

I found out that I would be making my debut last Monday. We had video and at the end of the session ‘Madge’ (Michael Maguire) asked me to stay behind. I was waiting outside and sort of knew it was either him saying that I was going to play or I wasn’t going to play so I was sitting there and feeling pretty nervous. He came back in and I was actually shaking. That’s when he told me I was going to play.

I just lost it. I started tearing up and got pretty emotional. Everyone works so hard to try and make it to the NRL and that feeling that you have finally made it is pretty full on. We had a bit of a chat and I regathered myself before we hit the field for training.

The first person I shared my news with was my girlfriend Kayla. I told her as soon as I could and then waited until that night to tell my family. I sent a message to my Aunty who passed on the news to my Nan. I think they were pretty proud. For Nan, I’m not sure she fully understood what it meant but for my Aunty she was ecstatic as she is a Manly supporter and I was going up against her team. Despite her alliances with the opposition, she kept telling me how proud she was.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/03/13/memberzone_in_his_wo.af_news.html

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I don't know why people dislike shadow so much. Me and shadow don't agree on everything but he's a humorous guy. I'm not even saying this to try bag him out. The don't knowers list is funny even if it isn't true.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't know why people dislike shadow so much. Me and shadow don't agree on everything but he's a humorous guy. I'm not even saying this to try bag him out. The don't knowers list is funny even if it isn't true.
He used to be a lot worse, was real nasty, flooded the forum with stupid pictures and just trolled.

He is on thin ice so has wound it a lot back, but he really was a pos

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
He used to be a lot worse, was real nasty, flooded the forum with stupid pictures and just trolled.

He is on thin ice so has wound it a lot back, but he really was a pos

Oh really? Yeah right now he just seems to make funny comments even if they aren't true. I'm glad that's changed then. But it's always good to log on here and see the good old 3,2,1's and see shadow write tyrell, turner and Kelly. Always gives me a laugh.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
SSTID we had a tipping comp last year and a few on here tipped the other teams constantly against souths they know who they are and from that day on they lost my respect.....real souths members/fans would never do that no contest...the truth hurts and they cant hack it whilst i was briefly banned they even got my good mate r20 to tip the other teams against souths in my absence but now r20 can see the error of their ways mate...id say your a true souths member/fan SSTID am i correct and would always tip our team i hope??...Shadow....SSTID

foreverinourshadow

First Grade

SSTID I am serious It is true and they know its true hence rd2...just ask r20 he knows i am right....Shadow...

Pommy

Coach
Remember when we looked likely to get beaten by the bye? Well people tipped against us and him and R20 had a full on Chernobyl scale meltdown. Then Shadow got banned and R20 decided all by himself that despite his meltdown he too was now going to tip against Souths.
It was like something you would expect from a 5 year old with severe learning difficulties, so much so Shadow is still bringing it up now.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Remember when we looked likely to get beaten by the bye? Well people tipped against us and him and R20 had a full on Chernobyl scale meltdown. Then Shadow got banned and R20 decided all by himself that despite his meltdown he too was now going to tip against Souths.
It was like something you would expect from a 5 year old with severe learning difficulties, so much so Shadow is still bringing it up now.

Ahh okay so it's like an ongoing "joke" sort of? I see where shadows coming from but yeah there's no need to start abusing people!

SSTID I am serious It is true and they know its true hence rd2...just ask r20 he knows i am right....Shadow...

I think you're correct in saying tyrell and Kelly aren't up to first grade standard but I think the calls you make on turner/Clark aren't completely true. They're the best we have. Cherrington isn't gonna cut it and right now tom Burgess is obviously not showing enough for Madge. This is the same coach who dropped Nathan Merritt remember? Turner and Clark have earned their spot in the 17. They may not be the best first grade players but they definitely are first graders and do their job. Sutton, turner and Crichton are the best 3 second rowers we have at the club. You know that shadow. I'm sure fuimoana will be one of the best in a few years too. Now if you were to argue that Crichton should be starting over turner then that's a debate that has some logic behind it. Although I still prefer an impact bench.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
SSTID the bottom line is if you tip against souths then you are definitely not a true real dinki di purist souths loyalist, totally the opposite and i stand by my views thats not abusing people its simply stating the facts of what they did ""pure and simple"" ""black and white""...Shadow...

Rabbits20

Immortal
I get hatred too!!!!!!

I'm just trying to ignore the trolls and not get into pointless arguments.