What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney CBD classic traditional pubs ....not trendy bars....

On Newtwon.

The best pub in Newtown to watch NRL is the Golden Barley and is probably one of the best examples of a "traditional" suburban pub in all of Sydney. Sure, it is technically in Enmore but it's a short stroll from King St and has everything that a pub goer could want. Good tap list, decent feed, beer garden, great ambience with plenty of character and entertaining locals whose preference is NRL. Pool, Pinball and a suitably rock n roll Jukebox. A TAB for those who want it and they have real good live music occasionally.

333862_home_hero.jpg

The second best pub in Newtown is the Courthouse which is just behind (surprisingly enough) the Courthouse and is again not on King St. It's a real old fashioned shabby boozer that a lot of people would think is a shithole and a favourite of Newtown locals but the food is good and the vibe is great. The only problem is that if the Swans are playing they might not have the NRL on.

558cd51218f7ca234290a9243ee92559918d8c00.jpg

The Vic on the Park and the Henson Park Hotel are further afield- techinically in Marrickville; but have also been renovated sympathetically and are blisteringly good places to get pissed, watch footy (the Henson has a delicious Newtwon Jets vibe) and eat grub.

Vic-on-the-Park-2-of-22.jpg
The-Henson-17.jpg

The pubs on King St are not the best pubs in the area but the best ones as follows:

Newtown Hotel.
Union Hotel.
Botany View Hotel.

All of these joints shit on anything in the CBD which is a dead zone since the lockouts were installed and I urge you to avoid the joint like the plague. I had a session in one of the few remaining cool joints in the CBD (Frankies Pizza) and fielded questions from many bewildered out of towners about what in the actual f**k happened to Sydneys night life. Fact is you have to get to Surry HIlls or Newtown to get your party on.

adamkungl

Immortal
Courty is a cracker, just didn't pick it as much of an NRL pub the couple of times i've been there. The AFL vibe was noticeable haha.

In the CBD my current favourites for a beer are Sweeneys (rooftop) and El Loco/Slip Inn (beer garden).
Late night Three Wise Monkeys is trashy as but not bad for a beer as far as nightclubs go, Frankies is a great time once it picks up after 11pm.
Bar Luca has the best burger in town but wouldn't really hang around for much else.
Sat night Karaoke at Edinburgh Castle goes good if you're into that kind of thing.
Small bar with craft beers, The SG (Spooning Goats) is my pick, usually a very nice selection and decked out in nerdy mostly Star Wars art.

But to watch sport i'm dead set struggling for options in the CBD, guess i'd go with Edinburgh, Criterion, Paragon, Windsor or Cheers but not enthusiastic about any of them really.

I'd head over to Forresters in Surry Hills. Problem with Surry Hills is even before the lockouts it mostly shuts down at midnight-1am anyway. Residential area.

Courty is a cracker, just didn't pick it as much of an NRL pub the couple of times i've been there. The AFL vibe was noticeable haha.

In the CBD my current favourites for a beer are Sweeneys (rooftop) and El Loco/Slip Inn (beer garden).
Late night Three Wise Monkeys is trashy as but not bad for a beer as far as nightclubs go, Frankies is a great time once it picks up after 11pm.
Bar Luca has the best burger in town but wouldn't really hang around for much else.
Sat night Karaoke at Edinburgh Castle goes good if you're into that kind of thing.
Small bar with craft beers, The SG (Spooning Goats) is my pick, usually a very nice selection and decked out in nerdy mostly Star Wars art.

But to watch sport i'm dead set struggling for options in the CBD, guess i'd go with Edinburgh, Criterion, Paragon, Windsor or Cheers but not enthusiastic about any of them really.

I'd head over to Forresters in Surry Hills. Problem with Surry Hills is even before the lockouts it mostly shuts down at midnight-1am anyway. Residential area.

When you say El Loco you mean the old excelsior? The front bar is quite good to watch footy in.

adamkungl

Immortal
Got some vegan mates so every now and then get to one of the trendy new restaurants-gone-vegan. My impression every time has been "yeah that wasn't too bad but would have been way better with some real meat and cheese".

Some indian vegan meals certainly aren't bad.. but I tend to treat them as a side dish.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

Im in this very dilemma tonight, trying to find a pub to watch the games. Normally head down to Helm at Darling Harbour since they have a fair few decent sized screens and a projector that they normally put the Friday night Footy on. Happy hour seems to go till 7 too if I remember correctly.

Trying to find a new haunt for knockoff beers leading into the footy on a Friday

horrie hastings

First Grade
Just got in from Port Macquarie so no chance of me getting out to Penrith Park so flipping up whether to head down to the Southern Cross, across to the Golden barley or up to the Botany view to watch the game, all are about 15mins max from my place or will I just settle it at home and stream the game.

Latest posts