What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Memorable Eels Games Thread

Gronk

Staff member
There is some great reminiscing in the game day thread about a 90's game vs a $tar $tudded Broncos team and how we managed to beat them with only a bunch of monkeys.

Does anyone remember this game ?

Eels boss Smith blows up at referee
By Steve Mascord
July 6 2002

spt_eels020706.jpg

High jinks: Michael Vella, left, lines up Newcastle's Josh Perry for a high hit that landed the Eels prop on report last night. Photo: Peter Stoop

Newcastle 24
Parramatta 18

Bill Harrigan sent Parramatta players to the sin bin four times last night, leaving their coach, Brian Smith, to reminisce about the day Bob Fulton wished the referee was hit by a cement truck.

Centre Michael Buettner (twice), second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh and five-eighth Adam Dykes all spent time in the dressing-rooms as premiers Newcastle edged out the Eels 24-18 on a dramatic evening at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Eels captain Nathan Cayless accused Harrigan of "talking down" to him as the referee caned the Sydney side 12-3 in the penalty count and spent most of the night warning them about laying on the tackled player.

"A long time ago, that referee was, I think, threatened by a coach about being rolled over by a semi-trailer, and I think on the day, from memory, it happened at Cronulla," a calm Smith said.

"The circumstances of the day, if I recall correctly, were that an aforementioned esteemed coach was extremely upset about a lopsided penalty count.

"I think in those days a lot of people recognised referee Harrigan's talent, but I think some people at that point questioned his temperament.

"Bill Harrigan is a mighty, mighty fine referee, he's been without doubt the best referee I've seen on a consistent basis but everybody's seen what happened tonight and I think you can understand what my view might be tonight."

Newcastle hit the front for the first time in the second half when Parramatta had just 10 men on the field; the three missing were all dismissed for holding down and other ruck infringements. When Dykes returned, Buettner took his place for abusing a touch judge.

Smith said there had been no instructions to hold the Knights down and he had told his players at half-time to comply with the referee. He said he was upset with Buettner for his dissent.

Knights coach Michael Hagan made it clear he believed the Eels got what they deserved. "There's no question that Parramatta came with a plan to slow us down at the ruck to try and limit the ability of some of our players, and it worked very well until Billy Harrigan intervened," Hagan said.

"I think you get what you deserved sometimes, if you really test him to the absolute limit, you pay the price.

"People come to watch football, they don't come to watch a wrestling match on the ground."

The Eels woes with officialdom began in just the second minute when prop Michael Vella was placed on report for a high tackle on Newcastle opposite Josh Perry.

Andrew Johns's penalty goal put the home side ahead 2-0 but Parramatta took the lead in the 20th minute when winger Scott Donald finished an 80m movement in the corner after Dykes sent Buettner racing through a hole.

As fullback Brett Hodgson lined up his successful conversion attempt, Harrigan issued his first warning after an Eels player complained that the penalty count was 5-0 against them.

"It could be even more if you don't get off them, how about that," Harrigan said.

Sean Rudder regained the lead for Newcastle when he shrugged off Dykes to force his way over the tryline, and Parramatta received their first penalty of the match two minutes later.

The scoreline continued to see-saw as Eels lock Andrew Ryan scored in the 30th minute and then Newcastle hooker Danny Buderus dived over from dummy-half five minutes later.

When Buettner was penalised in the 37th minute Harrigan told acting Parramatta captain Daniel Wagon to tell his players that he would tolerate no more infringements around the ruck area: "You know what happens on the next one."

Halfback Andrew McFadden put the Eels ahead 18-14 at half-time when he ran 50m to score in the 38th minute but the tone of the second half had already been set and Harrigan awarded two more penalties after the break before acting in the 56th minute.

"You won't cop the warning, have a spell," he told Buettner. Just two minutes later, Hindmarsh was given the same treatment and Harrigan's dismissed Cayless's protests by saying: "When you were off the field I warned Daniel. I gave you two extra penalties after half-time to get your act together and you're still doing it."

Cayless then accused Harrigan of "talking down to me", prompting the referee to reply: "No, I'm sick of it. You're doing it on purpose." With Dykes joining Buettner and Hindmarsh in the sin bin in the 64th minute, the weight of numbers proved too much for Parramatta, and second-rower Steve Simpson put centre Timana Tahu over to give his side a 20-18 lead.

A Mark Hughes try 10 minutes later all but sealed the Knights win but Harrigan wasn't finished, sending Buettner for his second stint on the sideline just as Dykes was returning to the field after a complaint from a touch judge.

"He is wearing the same shirt as I am and you just gave him a gobful. That is unacceptable," Harrigan said.

Referees' coach Peter Louis, who was at the game, said afterwards: "It was pretty well explained by the referee on the field. That's the way the game seemed to be going and he handled it accordingly.

"Whether he was right or wrong, it was a difficult one. There seemed to be plenty of holding down. It was becoming a trend. He gave them plenty of warnings and obviously they did not take much notice so he started putting them in the bin."

Louis spoke to Harrigan after the match. "He just said that was the way he saw it," Louis said.

NEWCASTLE 24 (S Rudder, D Buderus, T Tahu, M Hughes tries; A Johns 4 goals) bt PARRAMATTA 18 (S Donald, A Ryan, A McFadden tries; L Burt 2, B Hodgson goals) at EnergyAustralia Stadium. Referee: B Harrigan. Crowd: approx 20,000

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/05/1025667061863.html

strider

Post Whore
hell yeah .... who could forget that one

if I remember correctly, billy got a 4 week rest after that game .... someone also took the time to put a stopwatch on the tackles and came to the conclusion both teams were holding down practically the same amount

and raaaaaay got billy on his show the next day and unloaded on him (best thing raaaay ever did) .... in the end basically got him to admit he went into the game with the plan to penalise the shit out of parra for holding down in the ruck

Incorrect

Coach
Can't say I remember it vividly, just vaguely.... maybe if we had managed to win it despite having 4 players in the bin at various times it would have stayed fresh in the memory.... I tend to suppress memories unless we win.... So it feels like I've only seen a handful of games since 2009!

strider

Post Whore
i remember listening to the canberra comback on the radio while i was fixing the brakes on my bike

Incorrect

Coach
I was at the Canberra game in my season tickets in the Cronin stand.... remember seeing the scores of people that had left for the Leagues club before half time make their way back in the second half!

Gronk

Staff member
I was in the Spicers box for the Canberra comeback game. A very good day that.
manybeers.gif

Gronk

Staff member
Eels set club record against 11-man Sharks
Updated 24 Aug 2003, 8:02pm

PHOTO: John Morris scored one of Parramatta's 14 tries. (Getty Images)

In the other matches, North Queensland thrashed South Sydney 60-8 in the match in Townsville and Penrith beat the Wests Tigers 44-28 at Penrith Stadium.

The Eels looked certain to score the first try, but a pass from half-back Michael Witt to winger Matthew Peterson was intercepted by Sharks centre Phil Bailey.

From there Michael Sullivan sent the Sharks deep into Eels territory with a 40-20 kick. Two tackles later, Paul Gallen dragged several defenders over the line and the Sharks posted their only try of the game.

The Eels hit back immediately, capitalising on back-to-back penalties to travel 80 metres the easy way.

From five metres out, hooker John Morris stepped off his right foot and through some flimsy defence to plant the ball next to the uprights. Witt, Parramatta's rookie of the year, added the extras and the home team took a 6-4 lead.

The Eels doubled their score on the half-hour mark. Witt, standing at first receiver, ran to the defensive line then placed a beautifully-weighted grubber kick into the in-goal.

Peterson chased through unopposed and touch down in the left corner for his 14th try of the season. Witt landed the conversion from the sideline.

Just four minutes later, The Eels had try number three, when Adam Dykes spotted a gap on the short side.

The five-eighth feigned to attack left but sent a pass right to Lyon, who stepped through to score five metres in from touch. Witt slipped during his conversion attempt, but the ball still sailed over the black dot.

But the Eels were still not finished. Again Witt featured heavily and again the Sharks' defence was not up to the task.

The half-back received the ball two passes from the ruck and as he was tackled sent through a kick that sat up perfectly for David Vaealiki, who crossed in the left corner.

Witt kept his perfect kicking record in tact, landing another conversion and the Eels took a handy 24-4 lead into the break.

The Sharks needed a positive start to the second half, but it only became worse.

Consecutive penalties against the visitors frustrated Peachey, resulting in a heated exchange between the skipper and referee Shayne Hayne.

Peachey was marched 10 metres then sent to the sin-bin after swearing at Hayne.

As he left the field he continued to argue and when he failed to respond to the referee's calls for him to return for a further discussion, he was sent off for the remainder of the match.

Two minutes later second-rower Danny Nutley was sin-binned for 10 minutes for back-chatting.

Up against 11 men, the Eels wasted no time in scoring two quick tries.

Jamie Lyon delivered a superb flick pass to Jason Moodie who scored in the corner. It is the winger's last home game before he leaves the club to become a fireman.

Ashley Graham exposed the thin defence three minutes later to skirt the touchline and run 40 metres to score under the posts.

If the Sharks were struggling with 11 men, it was about to get even harder with the sending off of Dale Newton for a careless high tackle.

Lyon scored two quick individual tries to complete his hat-trick and Nutley returned to the field in time to see replacement prop Nathan Cayless run 30 metres to score under the posts.

The Eels passed the half-century in the 60th minute. Dykes chipped over the defence and Lee Hopkins gathered to score next to the posts.

The scoreline was becoming farcical, exacerbated by the Sharks' inability to gain and maintain possession.

Lyon added his fourth try and the Eels racked up a club record with James Webster's try in the 76th minute. Dykes's conversion took the score to 70-4.

On the stroke of full-time, Lyon grabbed a record of his own, crossing for try number five.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2003-08-23/eels-set-club-record-against-11-man-sharks/1468990

Bazal

Post Whore
There are heaps. The first one that came to mind was Brett Finch leading a second half comeback against the Dogs round one 2008. Down 20-0 at HT, won 28-20.

Memorable for being the only thing Brett Finch ever did at Parramatta!

strider

Post Whore
Not a memorable game - but I remember coming home from a game with my old man the day Martin Bryant went nuts in Port Arthur - I think the game was against Penrith - think parra won - but mood went bad when got back to the car (parked on church street up near kfc) and heard what had happened

its funny I can remember specifics about such things - yet I'm f**ked if I know what I had for breakfast today

strider

Post Whore
Not a memorable game - but I remember coming home from a game with my old man the day Martin Bryant went nuts in Port Arthur - I think the game was against Penrith - think parra won - but mood went bad when got back to the car (parked on church street up near kfc) and heard what had happened

its funny I can remember specifics about such things - yet I'm f**ked if I know what I had for breakfast today
maybe my memory isnt that good ...
1996 Apr 28th Parramatta L 14 - 27 Gold Coast

eels_fan

First Grade
I have vague memories of back to back games at Parra in I think 2004 which had indentical finishes with us coming from 16 points down with less than 10 to play and Witt kicking sideline conversions both times to win the games on the bell. Want to say against NQ & NZ but probably wrong

Incorrect

Coach
I have vague memories of back to back games at Parra in I think 2004 which had indentical finishes with us coming from 16 points down with less than 10 to play and Witt kicking sideline conversions both times to win the games on the bell. Want to say against NQ & NZ but probably wrong
You are right... It was deffo V the Warriors and the Cowboys... except it was 2003 not 04...

Basil Brush

Juniors
2 great games were in 2009.

1) That game against the Tiges at SFS (still in my top 2 live games along with my first ever live Eels game in 1988 against Broncs when Sterlo got a 10 in a losing match.).

I grew up in country nsw so didn't see Eels live before that.

2) That first final against the Dragons. 1v8. Hayne scored one of the greatest individual tries of all time.

Incorrect

Coach
I remember being at a cracking game between Parra and Souths in 1997 at the SFS. A mate of mine was (is) a mad Bunnies supporter so we went along on the Saturday arvo, beautiful sunshine... Parra were good that year and Souths were ordinary, but the game was tit for tat throughout, we'd score, they'd score, they'd score again, then we'd hit back and so on and so on... We ended up edging them in a close contest....

If you had told me then that 20 years from that day Souths will have won a premiership and the Eels would still be waiting to add another premiership to the 81, 82, 83 and 86 premierships I would have.... well I don't know what I would have done.... but I wouldn't have believed it in any case.... sigh....