What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Hang On - Let Me Get This Right.........

mickeylane

Bench
the solution to Dugan is a 4 year contract for say $3M or a touch more....that gives hime an extra $1M on the current offer w an additional year..good news is that the club dropped the deadline clause which shows sign of good faith...my instincts tell me when something like this happens it works out in the end.. If Josh walks away from league he walks away from SOO, Australia and no player in their prime would do that ...

Obviously at the end of his contract Dufty, Field contracts have expired so they would be looking for upgrades... we need to offload players in 2020 to afford the re signing of potential stars Leilua, Dufty, Field

Ljack77777

Juniors
Dugan is a great footballer.. but he is too injury prone to play fullback.. its all well for him earning his 1mill salary while his out injured most of the year..dugan cant play with someone on more money then him his ego is too big.. after watching that interview all this can do is ruin the year before it has really started his attitude was shocking he either accepts 750k tops or goodbye.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
What is the difference between the money that Dragons are offering to make him amongst the highest paid centres vs what he would attract as a fullback on the open market?

The $1million a season claimed by the media is baseless. There's not a single quote from any source to validate it. It's an imaginary figure plucked from no-where.

Dugan's demands appear to be similar to Jack Bird's - at club level he wants to be a spine player and have a key role in the team as opposed to sitting on the edges and waiting.

The claims about him wanting "fullback money" over "centre money" are purely baseless speculation .

mickeylane

Bench
Wh
What is the difference between the money that Dragons are offering to make him amongst the highest paid centres vs what he would attract as a fullback on the open market?

The $1million a season claimed by the media is baseless. There's not a single quote from any source to validate it. It's an imaginary figure plucked from no-where.

Dugan's demands appear to be similar to Jack Bird's - at club level he wants to be a spine player and have a key role in the team as opposed to sitting on the edges and waiting.

The claims about him wanting "fullback money" over "centre money" are purely baseless speculation .
Why the f**k is Millward picking where players play? i mean its unheard of for a non coach to do so - McGregor is a spineless coach - he's a clayton coach - no power no say - he's so desperate he's on $250K a season the lowest paid coach in the league and the club think that by picking the team for him all he needs to do is coach it with his 3,000 assistants and co coaches around and hope that the cattle will get them through w very little coaching nous...well NO!! thats not the solution....they are mistaken!! You need a coach who knows how to get respect and responses from players when they're down and out - look at Bellamy last night he was jumping out of the box when they were down w 10 minutes to go!! Players shit themselves and got a result...

Dugan will stay because there is no where else to go and i believe he should be the FB until Dufty is ready

JDHD

Juniors
What's his current offer? 2.4 over 3? To me that is reasonable for his skill set and standing in the game either as a centre or fullback and may in fact be overs. Ehat have other NRL clubs offered? The club is right to stick by their guns on this. To pay anymore would cripple us salary cap wise for a player who adds very little to the scoreboard off his own bat.

It's $800k a year for three years. He'll be earning about double what the CEO of a multinational business would be earning to play footy for eighty minutes a week.

And it's not enough, apparently.
Dugan like any decent player of recent times has played with a shit roster, shit selections, shit spine and shit coaching staff.
We actually have no f**king idea of how good he can be and have only seen glimpses of this best.
Dugan is a class footballer and a cut above anything else we have in our backs at this time.
Field, Dufty are yet to prove themselves and whilst doing so need to be associated with high quality footballers, so why would you let our best go?
We make Dugan play with all the shitters and as soon as we look like improving the spine with a decent half, people say move him on.
So the unproven blokes get first dibs with the $million man and the bloke who has rep level quality about him, busted his guts every game he has played for us and who we have continually hampered gets SFA and the punt.
No wonder we are a basket case as a club we have no idea and supporters who support this type of policy are no better than Mc Gregor, Millward & Co.
People need to wake up and see what is happening here.
If Millward has all the say as to the roster what chance any incoming outside coach (if there is one) will get what he wants.
Now some lunatic is going to say "well we obviously have a new coach and Millward is now doing his bidding" frankly that is just shit talk.
Any decent coach would be licking his lips at seeing Dugan being fed by Hunt and for that Mc Innes who will in fact only get even better after Hunt's arrival.
Pay Dugan the $$$, play him FB shut the f**k up, punt Lafai, Mc Crone, Nighty, Aitken get Field to 5/8 or half, Dufty to the wing and Mann and Milne in the centres.
Then come back and tell me after 10 rounds Dugan isn't worth the money because frankly the people that doubt him give all sorts of lame arse excuses without acknowledging the truth of the matter that we have not presented the best environment for him to excel.
Then of course there are the that people use the throw away line "let him go the kids will easily replace him".
Well there is absolutely no certainty that that will happen but it is patently obvious how good Dugan is with a bit of quality around him.

Mate, you can say what you want but we won't offer him a million and since he's talking about rugby that probably means that no other club thinks he's worth a million, so in this instance management has probably got his price correct.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Dugan is only worth $750,000 a season. If he goes Dufty, Field, Garrick, Herbert or Mann could competently play fullback. We need to buy a top class centre/ winger with plenty of pace if the young guys do not make the grade.

JDHD

Juniors
I've gotta know: why do people think we NEED Dugan? What does he offer? Why are people so enamoured by him?

- He doesn't score many tries (2 last year - for context, Ethan Lowe scored 9)
- he doesn't set up many tries (only one try assist last year in round 26 v the Knights for Christ sake)
- he can't pass
- he can't kick
- his attitude is shit (if he's not rolling around milking a penalty after every carry, he's turning around and abusing the pocket referee for something and that sets a bad example for your juniors)
- he's apparently the best defensive fullback in the game but we conceded seven tries last week and regularly got touched up last year
- he starts our sets well but a winger can do that. Hell, Nene MacDonald IS doing that.

So, please tell me what he offers that justifies $1 mil a season.

possm

Coach
Herein lies the big issue of "spine' money.
Let's go back a few years to somewhat of a similar occurrence. Graeme Langlands arguably one of our best fullbacks, was forced to play centre for Australia. Now transpose that situation to now. You say to Langalands, you are a centre for Aust so we are going to pay you only centre money, but we know you are a fullback. What would he do? Yeah, you can say things were different back then and of course they were, the Red V meant something and the jumper was cherished by anyone who wore it, but now is now and as Dugan has stated, this is the most important contract of his career, the one to set himself up for when he leaves the game.
To me the "spine" is a myth.
Take Parra's spine last week. French at fullback, Gutherson at 6, Norman (yep he's vey good) and Kaysa Pritchard at 9. Let's be real here French, Gutherson and Pritchard would not be demanding $800-1m per season (not yet anyway) yet they have Michael Jennings at centre who is probably on big $$$.
It takes a team to play Rugby League and whilst we continue to separate players according to position rather than worth, we are going to end up in exactly the situation we are in with Dugan. And it's why the "Jumper" means little to players in todays game. $$$ rule
For mine you pay Dugan what he's worth and I'm talking about his worth to the team, the club and the supporters and what he brings as an individual representing the Red V.
This pay by position would just make Langlands shake his head.
Looking at the current Parramatta spine, I think you'll find that this is what Millward is looking for;
French = Dufty
Jennings = Dugan
Gutherson = Field
Norman = Hunt
Prichard = McInnes

Gareth67

First Grade
Well , at the end of the day , should he resign it shall be for exactly ' X' amount of dollars.
Whether or not that true amount is ever disclosed to we , the supporters , is another matter

The interesting aspect to this situation , is that it was Dugan himself who originally set the dead-line , not the club . I found that to be somewhat odd , more so for a player whom had come out and said that he wished to continue his career with the Dragons . If that was indeed the case , why set any type of ' due by date' to the club ?

Unless he had already been approached or his agent had approached other clubs , NRL or Union . Secondly , it was this time last season when young Josh had told Mary , that he wished to play in the centres , as he believed that was where he played his best football . Confusing , is it not ?

There is no doubt that Ben Hunts price tag has most certainly been part of the reason for Duges price hike . However as we all fully realise , a player can and shall play in any position for his club , regardless of what he may think to the contrary . Example Jack De Belin at half back .

I myself have said on numerous occasions that I would like him to remain at the Dragons , however I want the real Josh Dugan in the Big Red V , not a player whose heart is elsewhere . The Joint Venture took Dugan in after his new contract was ripped to pieces by Brisbane and before that , Canberra . We paid overs for him then , $780k per yr. The Dragons have done the right thing by him , I believe that he now needs to do the right thing by the Club and appreciate that every club has a salary - cap to abide by .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Looking at the current Parramatta spine, I think you'll find that this is what Millward is looking for;
French = Dufty
Jennings = Dugan
Gutherson = Field
Norman = Hunt
Prichard = McInnes

I have this feeling that Dufty is not being considered as a First grade player (at this stage), hence why we have tabled a deal to Widdop. Field will most likely play the fullback role if Widdop re-signs (IMO he will). Field will transition to 5/8 later in his career.
If Dugan doesn't accept, there are other options for centre like Herbert or even Dodd and of course the continued fascination with Aitken as a centre.
I think Masters is the one they hold most likely as the fullback of the future, and all hinges on how well he performs in the 20's this year. Comparisons to a young GI are already being spoken.
Dufty may have to come through via a wing spot and compete with the likes of Garrick and others.
As I said just my feeling about Dufty.
First and foremost however, is the position of HC at the club. Until this is sorted and we have a concrete answer, then speculation will run rife and every players name will be thrown up as playing somewhere in the Dragons line-up.

Old Timer

Coach
I love the way this place morphs itself.
If it's not enough to first have Dufty as the messiah, then he quickly gets rolled over for Field and now we have young Masters in the mix as the up and coming FB.
All of whom according to some are an instantly better option than retaining Dugan on FB money.
Honestly some of the thinking in this placed is just as f**ked as the club and the coaching.
All the kids are some years away and their transition is far from clear and regardless of what many seem to think, they definitely need quality senior players around them and Dugan IMO by far way is our best.
All this bullshit about good on the club for not giving into Dugan and painting Dugan as the bad guy is all smoke and mirrors by the club and people in here are falling for it.
You have a spook in the background in Millward now spinning the clubs recruitment / retention policy and we have a rep player people are willing to f**k over on the very whim of those that have given us Price, Mc Gregor, Lafai, Mc Crone & co plus allowing Mann to sit out Rd1 entirely, get 10 minutes in Rd 2 and maybe miss out again in Rd 3. Not too mention the great interview about Mary coming to the meeting on his Jetski FFS absolute insanity.
All the argument about Dugan is by the clubs creation because they have other agendas and it ain't about the welfare of the club and the supporters.

It's my view dufty needs to be given the chance exactly like the roosters did with rts and mini
So sign Dugan on the money of a fb even if it is only to help dufty.
In my view field is a five eight not a fullback so why change his position....have we not learnt anything?

BennyV

Referee
I love the way this place morphs itself.
If it's not enough to first have Dufty as the messiah, then he quickly gets rolled over for Field and now we have young Masters in the mix as the up and coming FB.
All of whom according to some are an instantly better option than retaining Dugan on FB money.
Honestly some of the thinking in this placed is just as f**ked as the club and the coaching.
All the kids are some years away and their transition is far from clear and regardless of what many seem to think, they definitely need quality senior players around them and Dugan IMO by far way is our best.
All this bullshit about good on the club for not giving into Dugan and painting Dugan as the bad guy is all smoke and mirrors by the club and people in here are falling for it.
You have a spook in the background in Millward now spinning the clubs recruitment / retention policy and we have a rep player people are willing to f**k over on the very whim of those that have given us Price, Mc Gregor, Lafai, Mc Crone & co plus allowing Mann to sit out Rd1 entirely, get 10 minutes in Rd 2 and maybe miss out again in Rd 3. Not too mention the great interview about Mary coming to the meeting on his Jetski FFS absolute insanity.
All the argument about Dugan is by the clubs creation because they have other agendas and it ain't about the welfare of the club and the supporters.
Just wait OT, there's a kid in the Penhurst RSL U12s who is the next big thing, will be ready to take over from Dugan yesterday.

Old Timer

Coach
Just wait OT, there's a kid in the Penhurst RSL U12s who is the next big thing, will be ready to take over from Dugan yesterday.
You wonder where it all comes from.
Kids in candy shops with eyes bigger than their bellies most of them.

TruSaint

Referee
Dugan like any decent player of recent times has played with a shit roster, shit selections, shit spine and shit coaching staff.
We actually have no f**king idea of how good he can be and have only seen glimpses of this best.
Dugan is a class footballer and a cut above anything else we have in our backs at this time.
Field, Dufty are yet to prove themselves and whilst doing so need to be associated with high quality footballers, so why would you let our best go?
We make Dugan play with all the shitters and as soon as we look like improving the spine with a decent half, people say move him on.
So the unproven blokes get first dibs with the $million man and the bloke who has rep level quality about him, busted his guts every game he has played for us and who we have continually hampered gets SFA and the punt.
No wonder we are a basket case as a club we have no idea and supporters who support this type of policy are no better than Mc Gregor, Millward & Co.
People need to wake up and see what is happening here.
If Millward has all the say as to the roster what chance any incoming outside coach (if there is one) will get what he wants.
Now some lunatic is going to say "well we obviously have a new coach and Millward is now doing his bidding" frankly that is just shit talk.
Any decent coach would be licking his lips at seeing Dugan being fed by Hunt and for that Mc Innes who will in fact only get even better after Hunt's arrival.
Pay Dugan the $$$, play him FB shut the f**k up, punt Lafai, Mc Crone, Nighty, Aitken get Field to 5/8 or half, Dufty to the wing and Mann and Milne in the centres.
Then come back and tell me after 10 rounds Dugan isn't worth the money because frankly the people that doubt him give all sorts of lame arse excuses without acknowledging the truth of the matter that we have not presented the best environment for him to excel.
Then of course there are the that people use the throw away line "let him go the kids will easily replace him".
Well there is absolutely no certainty that that will happen but it is patently obvious how good Dugan is with a bit of quality around him.

I can relate to your post... We bought this guy as a gun fullback. Shifted to centre at the request of Laurie Daley, was given clear instructions by Mary " to just run the ball ", ( several articles have been posted confirming this ), has played at the highest level, as both centre and FB, but now we have hope that our juniors ( God bless em i hope they do well ), will instantly come in and take over.

We expect to hear the old " he owes us ", ... " cant off load "... injured too often etc etc etc...

He owes us? He has paid his dues by busting his chops week in week out, under a lame game plan, if any. He has represented, club, state and country, but now, he doesnt fit our model.

Mickeylane is right. What if our up and coming options , untested, dont work out? He reverts to FB on the same coin as say Lafai or Milne or Aitken etc etc etc ? This BS about spine money should take into consideration the value a player to the team... His ability to play 1 or 3 should be an asset NOT a liability.

I cant fathom the club on this one... sorry. I think he has been hung out to dry.

ALSGI

Bench
This is what I said this morning (and weeks ago) on the other Dugan thread:

I've said all along he's a keeper and worth at least what he's on now, and should be Capt imo. Best back by far, inspirational and when he's on the field we always go better.
A better coach, better Centres, better Half and his game would also improve.
I'd pay overs for him, we'd get overs back in return.

Today at 9:28 AMEditReport

People can we keep the threads tidy please.