What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do we need to recruit in 2018?

Tiger05

First Grade
@Shredder - I think that back 5 would make a difference but we probably need to work out who can play in the backrow for us as well.

I also agree that our team really isn't that bad on paper. I even think our halves are good enough if we had a couple more players around them. JAC as stated above often wasn't picked in the top team because Rankin was there. I mean can you imagine Melbourne chasing Ranking to play on their flank. I can't see that happening. To make it worse we let Koro go to Melbourne prior to JAC.

We do have a pretty ordinary coach. I think if we simply make good decisions for a couple of years then we have the making of a really good team. I think that starts with not overpaying players and that is where the halves are a concern. They aren't superstars. Neither is Woods. Tedesco is but that is it. Nofo and Woods are great players but they need to be paid as a quality winger and prop not as a top line fullback or half.

Shredder

Juniors
Your missing my point Tiger05 -

Its gone way beyond the coach to - its the culture.
No accountability - its harder to get into the team than to get out of it. And its gone on for more than a decade.

This crap has gone on since Sheens - and its entrenched.

Ive run cultural change programs with companies before - and often its about cleaning it all out. I think we are (and have been for a while) at that stage.

Buying one or two players a year is never going to change our culture because the new guys will simply move to the lowest common denominator.

Look at Melbourne - it doesnt matter who puts on their shirt, they put in - they play as a team. They have a strong culture. Yeah they have an outstanding spine but its the support guys that are having the dig.

Know your job, do your job or lose it.
Your a prop - you only need to do two things..... kinda crap.

If we
honestly want long term success, we need to clean out the 20s and start from there.

macnaz

Staff member
I think I"m right in saying that we could not have matched melbourne"s offer
.salary cap was worse then than now so that can't be ignored ...with the benefit of hindsight i"m sure the dogs would have liked to have kept thurston after 2004...he was let go by the much lauded steve folkes in charge if i remember right.....pemrith SHOULD have matched the chooks massive offer to hang onto local boy fittler....why didn't they?....as someone said ...you cant hang onto etc etc
Bullshit!!! He was ours if we wanted him .... we clearly didnt ... WE PLAYED RANKIN WHILE JAD PLAYED 2ND GRADE !

Tiger05

First Grade

No accountability - its harder to get into the team than to get out of it. And its gone on for more than a decade.

Ive run cultural change programs with companies before - and often its about cleaning it all out. I think we are (and have been for a while) at that stage.

Buying one or two players a year is never going to change our culture because the new guys will simply move to the lowest common denominator.

Look at Melbourne - it doesnt matter who puts on their shirt, they put in - they play as a team. They have a strong culture. Yeah they have an outstanding spine but its the support guys that are having the dig.

If we
honestly want long term success, we need to clean out the 20s and start from there.

I don't buy the culture idea. You can't turn ordinary players into good ones by culture. I think there are some problems with culture but I also think that is easily solved and I don't think it's about not putting in. If for instance Woods, Moses, Brooks and even Tedesco think they should be paid overs to stay which I think is the culture problem then we should say "see you later". This happened with Benji and with Robbie. We paid Robbie and let Benji go. I don't know if all the drama around Robbie was true or not but I do know that we screwed ourselves with overpaying him.

Letting JAC and before him Koro go when they wouldn't have wanted much is another example of dumb decisions being made. Even letting Taupau go was the wrong decision although he is a muppet. Taupau is everything our forwards aren't.

We need to think of this more as a business. I think we've done that a little bit recently with for instance signing Elijah Taylor and even Tim Grant. We need to try and get players that other clubs let go and they make mistakes.

I'm not sold on the coach as well. If the team can't defend it's his job to fix it. Same as attack. Last week we had nothing in attack.

At my work we've really turned the culture around. We've gone from having small projects cost about $500k to now costing $2 million. We have people feedback and people think it's a mess.

There can be instances of poor culture at workplaces but I don't think we have that. I think we just are a club that makes more dud decisions than others.

After all of that I still think we can have a good season this year. Our edges are really weak and we need to fix that but we have a great rotation of props, Tedesco, Nofo and two halves that are inconsistent but may turn into good players.

Tiger Woody

Juniors

If we

have to agree Shredder.
You play bad and you keep your spot at this club.
Been like that since Sheens was here.
I mean..Chee Kam was bad defensively last week..but we keep him in the centres..He should be on the bench as a forward.
The defence is no different than the years gone even though we flicked Kidwell..
So in a way its the players faults for mot communicating.
We buy rejects........JAC was offered big money by Storm,we sat back and did zero,so he took the offer...our fault entirely.
Best buy we have made was Ellis,he was too good for this club,we were lucky to get him.
If we lose to Canberra by a big margin its possible we could drop to 15th or even last and its where we usually belong.

if you want to be playing semi's every year and competing for the comp you need defence. Look at teams like the storm, broncos, and roosters. We need to look at finding the best defensive coach there is and bring them on board regardless of the cost. Regardless of potential or attacking flair if you can't tackle you're out the door. Possibly we can carry 1 poor defender in the back line but that's it. Recruitment needs to be geared towards a defence first culture. We need someone else doing this as well.

Next we have to work out a way to start rorting the salary cap like all the other successful teams. We had things set up this year where highrise was going to be funding all our TPA's but as soon as the NRL got wind of that they put the kybosh on it saying prior major sponsors can't do this or some such rubbish. Because of this we need to do things clandestinely. If we get caught in the future so be it as long as we have a comp or 2 to show for it. The NRL can turn around and strip comps but the storm supporters have the DVD's at home and the winning feeling from the night that can never be taken away.

We should never again pay a player to play for another club. That should be the first and last commandment. 10% of our cap this year is taken up by 1 player playing at another club. I'd rather see Farah in reggies than at souths.

Who do we get next year? I don't know but I know that Grace Jones, Moses, and Brookes all have to go. Maybe 1 can stay but that's it because none of them can tackle. Paying 1.3mil for an untried winger or centre? That's crazy. I'd rather lose the player to another club and keep someone like JAC who has already proven they can cut it first grade. Is Luke Lewis off contract? I would love him at the club. He's a proven winner. But not on massive overs.

If you build it they will come...........

Shredder

Juniors
DoM - agree 100% -

Who was it that said Defence is in the attitude? Oh right everyone -

And attitude comes from culture.

I hate to bring this up - but we put together two clubs with a combined 150+ years of mediocrity and expect the merged entity to be a high performer - not going to happen - ever.

Penrith is the benchmark for cultural change. We will NOT compete on a regular basis until we change it all.

The difference between us being also rans and contenders isnt two f**king wingers.

We are destined to remain as we are until we make massive change. And massive change is never going to happen.

I love this club but the reason I dont get on them too much when they play like they did last week is that I cant expect anything else. We (the club, the officials, the fans) accept mediocrity. Why would the players put in?

TODD’S TAYLOR MADE
THERE’S a reason why Wests Tigers’ negotiations with off-contract stars Aaron Woods, James Tedesco, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brookshave stalled.

We’re hearing they all want Cowboys assistant coach and former Wests Tigers forwardTodd Paytento take over as coach next year.

It’s not that they are dirty on Jason Taylor. It’s just Payten was at Wests Tigers as an assistant coach when they were coming through. They think they can win a premiership under his coaching.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k/news-story/7344e7fc9ea325623c9e23da1a6de836

I mentioned Payten previously as the coach they need and the fact that he was wanted by the players was confirmed to me by an insider in the off season.

He was not part of any old clique, he was a well respected player and more importantly as a coach and mentor of a number of players.

So, what player manager has informed Rothfield?

Front-Rower

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k/news-story/7344e7fc9ea325623c9e23da1a6de836

I mentioned Payten previously as the coach they need and the fact that he was wanted by the players was confirmed to me by an insider in the off season.

He was not part of any old clique, he was a well respected player and more importantly as a coach and mentor of a number of players.

So, what player manager has informed Rothfield?

The guy isn't even at the club anymore and if Payten doesn't want to leave North Qld how many of these blokes are going to go up there? That's if they are wanted.

Tiger05

First Grade
If we have a dud season Taylor has to go. I'm not sold on Payten and the players shouldn't pick the coach but we shouldn't be resigning Taylor unless we have a good season. We've had 2 dud years with this guy and there has to be some standards.

Clifferd

Coach
There are a few experienced nrl coaches out there without a job I'd chase, last thing we need is an inexperienced one

Toovey, Cleary, heck even Steve Folkes would be awesome

Vozzy

Juniors
I've heard that the tigers actually have told taylor top 4 or bust this year with too many off contract we won't keep them all and next year will be the start of another rebuild despite the last 3-4 years being so poor.

Thing that worries me most is now both tedasco and woods have just about signed but then last minute they have both said they want to know who the coach is. To me when they say that i hope it doesn't mean they want a coaching change (whether we like Taylor or not he is still the coach and you should give 100% to whoever is your coach) if so then this season is already out the window.

There is something about Jason Taylor in the back of my mind telling me what he is trying to achieve with the team will work eventually. I didn't agree with dropping Farah last year but I don't mind Farah being moved on this year. He is obviously trying to make the place mentally tougher. He says things when a player has a niggling injury "he is going to have to play with the pain and toughen up". They are playing a bit more boring then when say sheens was there kinda like the bulldogs of the 80 mentality.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Reliable sources told me that payten undermined Mick potter when he was coach.If that's true & or if he's the coach that the big 3+ Brooks would prefer as a coach then he can f**k off as he possesses traits we don't want in a coach.

The fact of the matter is that if it's true that Taylor needs to make the 8 to survive then he is Gonsky.A more realistic objective for this rabble is trying to avoid the spoon !

Re the new coach I'd b interviewing Toovey Kev Walters & Cleary.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
if you want to be playing semi's every year and competing for the comp you need defence. Look at teams like the storm, broncos, and roosters. We need to look at finding the best defensive coach there is and bring them on board regardless of the cost. Regardless of potential or attacking flair if you can't tackle you're out the door. Possibly we can carry 1 poor defender in the back line but that's it. Recruitment needs to be geared towards a defence first culture. We need someone else doing this as well.

Next we have to work out a way to start rorting the salary cap like all the other successful teams. We had things set up this year where highrise was going to be funding all our TPA's but as soon as the NRL got wind of that they put the kybosh on it saying prior major sponsors can't do this or some such rubbish. Because of this we need to do things clandestinely. If we get caught in the future so be it as long as we have a comp or 2 to show for it. The NRL can turn around and strip comps but the storm supporters have the DVD's at home and the winning feeling from the night that can never be taken away.

We should never again pay a player to play for another club. That should be the first and last commandment. 10% of our cap this year is taken up by 1 player playing at another club. I'd rather see Farah in reggies than at souths.

Who do we get next year? I don't know but I know that Grace Jones, Moses, and Brookes all have to go. Maybe 1 can stay but that's it because none of them can tackle. Paying 1.3mil for an untried winger or centre? That's crazy. I'd rather lose the player to another club and keep someone like JAC who has already proven they can cut it first grade. Is Luke Lewis off contract? I would love him at the club. He's a proven winner. But not on massive overs.

If you build it they will come...........

Highrise...hahahahahaha.........i call him the Boff or Trigger
grace Jones........
Reliable sources told me that payten undermined Mick potter when he was coach.If that's true & or if he's the coach that the big 3+ Brooks would prefer as a coach then he can f**k off as he possesses traits we don't want in a coach.

The fact of the matter is that if it's true that Taylor needs to make the 8 to survive then he is Gonsky.A more realistic objective for this rabble is trying to avoid the spoon !

Re the new coach I'd b interviewing Toovey Kev Walters & Cleary.

Lose today Ted and we ARE the spoon after only 3 rounds.....

Tiger Ted

Bench
Hi Jamie.
How you going??????Want a game next week???lol
We could do a lot worse than Jamie- immaculate kicking game & a great competitor with invaluable experience & accompanied by the immense joy of an unsigned bum like Brooks being relegated to state cup !

Vic Mackey

Referee
Payten has been wanted by the playing group for a while from what I'm told, they wanted him even when potter was here.

Honestly the first bloke id go for would be Luke Lewis, a year of him would be fantastic for some of the younger guys.

I'd then go for Josh Reynolds, sure he's not the best half going around but he looks like he gives a shit.

We need a good solid center, someone like Kane Linnett would be a real good fit. I have no idea if he's off contract though.

We aren't that far off being a really good team, the issue is that our deficiencies are so, so bad they completely negate our strengths.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Quote from Woodsy "The young guys just don't give a shit" from a reliable source.

Not here to shit talk, just here to pass information. Take it or leave it.