What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field

Very Concise and pretty well thought out.

Only thing that concerns me, people were worried about Dufty's defence at the back, I doubt Jai would be as good in this area.
I feel it would be better to play Jai in the Cutters under the last true halfback the dragons ever had in Matt Head, soaking up as much as he can, conditioning his body away from scrutiny. He is signed til 2019 so a year in the NSW cup in the halves would be very beneficial. He can fill in the NRL squad for injuries or if his form demands it.
That way Dufty can also hone his game in NSW cup and eventually, hopefully, move into the top 17 sometime this year.
I agree with this option as well grooming these players is essential which ever way they go
Jai has been named to play off the bench for first round
Maybe to scoot him out of dummy half when they rest the hooker
It also gives them an option if 5/8 FB Centre or wing gets injured they can move players around but they lose a forward which doesn't help our cause

Personally I would like they don't throw him in the deep end at 5/8 even though FB is a pressure position as well
I think it would help his game playing FB then moving to 5/8 next year but experience is what this gun needs & more weetbix he needs to put on a couple of kgs

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
And has there ever been a player who has successfully gone from bench impact to full time position?

I would rather him get groomed full time, either fullback or 5/8, in the cutters than have 15 mins here and there for the first grade team.

And has there ever been a player who has successfully gone from bench impact to full time position?

I would rather him get groomed full time, either fullback or 5/8, in the cutters than have 15 mins here and there for the first grade team.
I agree with this option
I'm just say playing 5/8 in cutters or playing FB for dragons are both great options to develop his game / experience
Mann & Widdop to play in the halves this year
By naming him on the bench they seem to have shown their hand toward FG experience

Bench
Field should be slowly introduced into first grade by having him play 5/8. This is where he will be playing in 2018.
He will need to spend some time in the cutters to get him ready for the rigours of first grade.
It is important that he be ready for 2018. This applies to Dufty also

ALSGI

Bench
Field should be slowly introduced into first grade by having him play 5/8. This is where he will be playing in 2018.
He will need to spend some time in the cutters to get him ready for the rigours of first grade.
Agree with you about both Field and Dufty, mostly.
Disagree with most on here about being slowly introduced to FG. They should both be developed from 1, 2, 5, 3, 6, 7, and 14. They should only do more time in Cutters if they can't handle FG after being given a decent several games.
I think they will both thrive in FG this year and sort out several contract headaches for next year.

j0nesy

Bench

Only that nuffy that goes by the name of Thurston ;-)

Field is a good bench option and IMHO playing him as an impact player off the bench is a good way to ease him into first grade without putting too much pressure on him too soon.

possm

Coach
2017 is going to be our gap year; another year down the drain. So at lease announce our new coach to give the fans some hope.

If Dugan stays or moves on, he should be moved to centre from now on. He and Milne are our best centres.

If Widdop stays or moves on, he should not be selected at five-eighth. If he is to play in the halves, then he should play at 7 this season. Mann and Field should be given time at 6 this year.

Dufty is not fit for selection to first grade in round one and might not be ready for round 2, so give Field the opportunity to start at fullback in round 1 and make decisions from there. Round 1:
Field
Macdonald
Milne
Dugan
Nightingale
Mann
Widdop

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Only that nuffy that goes by the name of Thurston ;-)

Field is a good bench option and IMHO playing him as an impact player off the bench is a good way to ease him into first grade without putting too much pressure on him too soon.

Oh... well... I GUEESSSSS JT is ok... Just as long as we don't lose field like the Bulldogs lost Thurston... haha

This is a pretty good debate though, there are benefits to both, giving him exposure to first grade but only in short intervals. Or you could fully condition him in the grade below. There are Pros and Cons to both.

j0nesy

Bench
Oh... well... I GUEESSSSS JT is ok... Just as long as we don't lose field like the Bulldogs lost Thurston... haha

This is a pretty good debate though, there are benefits to both, giving him exposure to first grade but only in short intervals. Or you could fully condition him in the grade below. There are Pros and Cons to both.

True that, it could be argued that he hasn't played enough (any?) reserve grade and lacks any experience of playing at that level. I suspect he'll play a bit of first grade and cutters this year. Time will tell though.

BennyV

Referee
There's no long term advantages, to Jai or the team, in playing him off the bench. In reality, bringing him for 10-15 mins will f**k with team balance and having such small minutes is not the best thing for Jai. Would be far better served with half a dozen full games for Cutters.

Crush

Coach
Jack Bird did a hammy!!!? Oh, sorry, wrong thread. I meant to be on one of the other 6 threads about Jack Bird, not Jai Field. As you were......

Saintsified

Bench
Time? Ready? Whilst we do that other clubs blood.
If you're old enough, good enough to drink,. vote, go to war, make babies then you're old enough and good enough to play NRL.

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
Time? Ready? Whilst we do that other clubs blood.
If you're old enough, good enough to drink,. vote, go to war, make babies then you're old enough and good enough to play NRL.
Totally agree, imo only thing that should hold him and others back is ability.
Enough rubish about rigours of FG and playing against men FFS.

Bench
I noticed that in the Newcastle side there were about three players in the side that were between 20 and 21.
Their coach was not afraid to go with those players, I doubt whether Mary has the guts to do that.
Glad to see Brownie giving these guys a chance. As one commentator said that with these players Newcastle will be a strong side in 2018.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
How many minutes has Field played this year?
Auk 9's, WT, CS and first 2 rounds.
Field is a speed machine that needs to play each week, being selected on the bench does very little for his fitness and especially match fitness. So yesterday given a full game on a heavy track, no wonder he did a hammy.
I hope his injury isn't too bad, but when he returns he needs to play with the 2nd to build up fitness again and then if promoted he should go straight into the starting team, not this warming the bench for 70 minutes.

BennyV

Referee
I noticed that in the Newcastle side there were about three players in the side that were between 20 and 21.
Their coach was not afraid to go with those players, I doubt whether Mary has the guts to do that.
Glad to see Brownie giving these guys a chance. As one commentator said that with these players Newcastle will be a strong side in 2018.
Lol have you seen their squad? Brownie has no choice but to play kids!!!

Lol have you seen their squad? Brownie has no choice but to play kids!!!

Very true BennyV

One thing is certain. Newcastle have a far inferior squad to ours and pushed Souths have for 60-70 minutes yesterday. Newcastle is clearly improving. Brownie will nurture the junior talent. If we were being coached by Brownie now am sure several of the young blokes would get big minutes over guys most of us consider as fringe FG players.

Brownie is precisely what Field/Dufty/Leilua/Host/Sele/Herbert need.

Latest posts