What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons fined 100k for keeping Dugan on

Ace-STi

Juniors
Mon, Mar 20, 2017 - 01:30PM
Media Release⁠, NRL, NRL

Three NRL clubs are facing fines totalling $350,000 after being issued with Breach Notices relating to head injuries in Round 3 of the Telstra Premiership.

CEO Todd Greenberg said there is no more important issue in the game than player safety and he was satisfied that the three clubs had failed to follow the concussion rules during weekend matches.

The Breach Notices have been issued to:

• The Gold Coast Titans ($150,000) for incidents involving Kane Elgey, Joe Greenwood and Ryan Simpkins

• St George Illawarra Dragons ($100,000) for an incident involving Josh Dugan

• Newcastle Knights ($100,000) for an incident involving Brendan Elliot

"These are, by far, the heaviest fines ever proposed by the game for concussion breaches," Mr Greenberg said.

"That is how seriously we take it.

"The clubs involved have the opportunity to respond to the Breach Notices, and we will consider those responses, but our message is clear… we are not going to allow player safety to be put at risk through breaches of the concussion rules."

Mr Greenberg said the NRL has put significant resources into concussion training and education.

"In the majority of cases we see strong compliance with the League's concussion rules but it appears that this did not happen at the weekend in some matches and we cannot stand by and allow player safety to be put at risk," he said.

"Where we believe the rules have been breached we will take action – and we would hope that these Breach Notices will serve as a warning to all clubs."

Mr Greenberg said the clubs would have five business days to respond to the Breach Notices.
http://m.nrl.com/concussion-breach-notices/tabid/10874/newsid/104847/default.aspx

thebigredv

First Grade
I know the Dragons were maintaining Dugan's was a jaw injury but to me he looked very obviously knocked out before he even hit the ground. I was surprised he stayed on but then again, I wasn't there asking him the questions the trainer was asking.

If it's a grand final, no one cares. NRL setting itself up for more criticism.

Maxwell

Juniors
Will wait and see if he ever fines the dogs if it happens to them. Some of these trainers have players clutching at a shoulder then whisk them revive them and fly under the radar for head bin. Doggies are one of these

Red V for life

Juniors
Since our game was late yesterday, what lengths has Greenberg taken to establish this breach other than watching Foxtel and looking at his key indicators? Has he spoken to the Club and medical staff?

Player safety is paramount, don't get me wrong, but if we end up questioning team medical advice then it is a slippery slope.

Bite the bullet and bring in independent doctors.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Since our game was late yesterday, what lengths has Greenberg taken to establish this breach other than watching Foxtel and looking at his key indicators? Has he spoken to the Club and medical staff?

Player safety is paramount, don't get me wrong, but if we end up questioning team medical advice then it is a slippery slope.

Bi Greenberg the bullet and bring in independent doctors.

Spot on RedV
Is Greenberg saying he know more than our doctor.
Get some independent dr at every game.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons at centre of NRL concussion crackdown

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

20 Mar 2017, 3 p.m.
r0_46_2979_1986_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LEVELED: Josh Dugan. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra have been hit with a $100,000 fine by the NRL as part of the biggest ever crackdown on clubs flouting concussion laws in the game’s history.

Newcastle are also facing a $100,000 fine after allowing young fullback Brendan Elliot to play on despite clearly being concussed in the Knights 24-18 loss to Souths on Saturday while Gold Coast were fined $150,000 for their handling of three separate incidents in their win over Parramatta on Friday.

The Dragons attracted scrutiny after Josh Dugan was left prone on the turf after being leveled in some friendly fire from Russell Packer in the ninth minute of Sunday’s clash with Cronulla.

Dugan stayed down for well over a minute while he was assessed by head trainer Nathan Pickworth but remained on the field and played out the remaining 71 minutes without undergoing a Head Injury Assessment.

Coach Paul McGregor backed his medical staff post-match, saying the report he received was of a potential jaw injury and not a concussion.

“It was a jaw injury, not a head injury. That was the report I got back in the box,” McGregor said.

“I had [utility back] Kurt Mann there so I had a bloke I could put on straight away but they said it was his jaw and I’ll back the medical staff there. If it’s a jaw it’s jaw, nothing to do with concussion.”

The Knights copped a barrage of criticism for their handling of Elliot who was knocked senseless by a 28th minute tackle from Hymel Hunt that saw the Rabbitohs centre hit with a grade two reckless high tackle charge. Elliot eventually underwent an HIA after copping a second knock in the 62nd minute of the match and didn’t return with coach Nathan Brown taking aim at the NRL’s concussion replacement rules in the aftermath.

The Gold Coast’s fine relates to their handling of three different incidents involving Kane Elgey, Joe Greenwood and Ryan Simpkins in their win over Parramatta on Saturday night.

All three clubs, two of which are currently owned by the NRL, have five days to respond the hefty breach notices but chief executive Todd Greenberg said the unprecedented sanctions send a clear message.

“These are, by far, the heaviest fines ever proposed by the game for concussion breaches. That is how seriously we take it,” Greenberg said.

“The clubs involved have the opportunity to respond to the breach notices, and we will consider those responses, but our message is clear we are not going to allow player safety to be put at risk through breaches of the concussion rules.”

The NRL first introduced new protocols for the handling of concussion in 2012 and has beefed them up in ensuing seasons. Greenberg said that while most clubs have adhered to the guidelines, the incidents in round three clearly did not.

“In the majority of cases we see strong compliance with the league’s concussion rules but it appears that this did not happen at the weekend in some matches and we cannot stand by and allow player safety to be put at risk,” Greenberg said.

The sanctions come as former Newcastle and NSW State of Origin winger James McManus begins legal action against the Knights, alleging the club mismanaged the multiple concussions that ultimately brought a premature end to his career.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4541675/dragons-hit-with-100000-fine/?cs=3713

OurRedV

Juniors
$100k prize for being Minor Premiers.
How is this even a decent reward?

Also, are the NRL in the business of fining themselves now?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
$100k prize for being Minor Premiers.
How is this even a decent reward?

Also, are the NRL in the business of fining themselves now?

You make a fair comment there, ORV.

Sorry, not trying to hijack this important thread but a good point has been made.

The money the NRL makes out of sponsorship / TV rights and they still just offer, 100K is absurd.
Should not be anything under a million, at least.

Gareth67

First Grade
I wonder if that is what happened to our own , loveable forum member . You know - the one with the many personalities .
Perhaps he had one too many whacks to the jaw ? That would most certainly account for his odd behaviour . :eek:

Old Timer

Coach
I wonder if that is what happened to our own , loveable forum member . You know - the one with the many personalities .
Perhaps he had one too many whacks to the jaw ? That would most certainly account for his odd behaviour . :eek:
Beaten around the ring many times I suspect.
Obviously where his connection with Vas comes from.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Gareth
I heard he's been punched around the ring on quite a few occasions lol

Latest posts