What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Vaughan

Frank Facer

First Grade
I still think that we need another top line prop. We have to be able to cover for one or 2 of our props being injured or suspended.

I still think that we need another top line prop. We have to be able to cover for one or 2 of our props being injured or suspended.

It'd be a luxury that's for sure, but that's the thing about depth and injuries. You cop a few players out and you have to fill the gap with 2nd stringers.
Between Kerr, Hind, Masoe and Leilua, we have plenty of cover.

Paying 200k for a quality prop, who will only come up from Cutters to cover injury, is not great cap management.

Red V for life

Juniors
Daley should pick the NSW team on form. The team didn't get the job done so loyalty has no place for mine.

If he keeps this form up, SOO call up will follow.

With the Tigpies this weekend, a dominant prop performance in comparison to the current Blues prop Aaron Woods will only help.

C'mon Vaughany...leave your boot prints all over him!

Vaughan has been excellent and is worth a shout for origin.

Origin Props are what..Tamou, I have not seen him play this year tbh haven't watched panthers.
Merrin...
Woods. he's ok I guess.
Klemmers doing SFA at the broncos
Shannon Boyd may have got a kangaroos jersey but he's not good enough.
Fifita will be chosen.

So he's a shout definitely.

So is JDB. is he NSW?

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
It goes without saying that we now have a LEGITIMATE front tow enforcer in Paul Vaughan..

The guy is a metre eater and in turn inspires Packer, Ah Mau and Simms to follow suit. His defence is also just as ferocious as his running style.

There's no forward pack I fear anymore - and I'm sure our forward pack led by Vaughan are of the same thinking - their confidence and self belief must be sky high..

Ben Hunt would be licking his lips playing behind this pack..

I said this back in February was excited then and more excited today on how the forwards are going - there is general self belief that they are a the top forward pack in the comp and we all know that self belief cannot be coached it has to be earned..
You can tell on the field that the forwards really rate themselves - they just went up a notch in the 2nd half where last years team would have capitulated!! some of those runs up the middle in consecutive runs were monstrous...add Dugans and Mcdonalds thrusts and our size is scary...the Roosters IMO the best pack aka Napper, Hargreaves, Cordner, will be looking at this pack over their shoulders...

BringTheNoise

Juniors
He's playing big minutes, making big metres, solid in defence and scoring tries. If he carries this form into the Origin period Daley would be mad not to select him. I couldn't name single NSW prop playing better than him at the moment.

At first I thought we might have thrown a lot of coin at this bloke, but on current form I think we may have gotten a bargain.

Red V for life

Juniors
Perhaps it is the coin that is pushing the performances. The need to prove his worth - which he is clearly doing at the moment.
Agree...and for a newcomer to the Club he has quickly assumed the leadership of the forwards.

I am really impressed by this guy. It feels like it has been ages since we had a big, strong running body bending the line with every touch.

Gareth67

First Grade
Vaughan has been a tremendous acquisition for the team , wasn't that long ago when we were arguing about his price tag . Each game he plays is the same , he just powers forward , a bit like the Rorters Hargreaves .
And did you notice his rendition of the team song yesterday , full of enthusiasm , not only himself but the entire team !
As has been said by others - a great buy for the Dragons .

Sorry I was away for a little bit guys, I just finished jacking off over how good this bloke is.

Honestly, I can see the captaincy on the cards for Vaughany in the future. Maybe shared with Hunt?

Good to see you are excellent at the "cross country" race TRVR :thumbsup:
I'm more of a 100 metre sprint racer :grimacing:

Bench
Co captains would be a good idea, one forward one back to cover if one
Agree...and for a newcomer to the Club he has quickly assumed the leadership of the forwards.

I am really impressed by this guy. It feels like it has been ages since we had a big, strong running body bending the line with every touch.
This is true but he needs to learn our war cry in the dressing rooms. That is his only weakness

possm

Coach
I said this back in February was excited then and more excited today on how the forwards are going - there is general self belief that they are a the top forward pack in the comp and we all know that self belief cannot be coached it has to be earned..
You can tell on the field that the forwards really rate themselves - they just went up a notch in the 2nd half where last years team would have capitulated!! some of those runs up the middle in consecutive runs were monstrous...add Dugans and Mcdonalds thrusts and our size is scary...the Roosters IMO the best pack aka Napper, Hargreaves, Cordner, will be looking at this pack over their shoulders...
Co captains would be a good idea, one forward one back to cover if one

This is true but he needs to learn our war cry in the dressing rooms. That is his only weakness
I'm from the old school and prefer one captain and a vice captain. If Dugan stays he is the most likely to be captain next year. No other player in the Club comes close to the leadership attributes Dugan has.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Buy of the season along with McInnes and forms a great prop rotation. Great seeing Vaughan roll it forward, followed by Packer and then JDB on the back of it with some quality well timed ball from McInnes. Mick Ennis said it best about McInnes and his impact, he doesn't over play his hand. He knows the big boys are rolling so just give to them. How often last year was Reins first instinct to run? Spoiled any momentum when he got it wrong and slowed the pigs down miss timing his passes.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
DALEY LIKE LOOK OF ITALIAN STALLION

3550732cdb1ce11e0c1890b702c055e2

Paul Vaughan has been in red hot form for the Dragons in 2017.
Nine months after being dropped to reserve grade and told by Ricky Stuart he was unwanted at Canberra, Paul Vaughan has rocketed into NSW State of Origin calculations.

The Italian Stallion could prove a Blues bolter after starting his tenure at St George Illawarra as one of the form front rowers of the NRL in 2017. He was once again devastating in the Red V’s win over the Warriors at Kogarah on Sunday, leading the charge with 165m running metres and making 33 tackles. The former Italian international’s move to Wollongong has revitalised his career and in his first four appearances this year, only once has he failed to make 150m or 25 tackles.

“He’s played well Vaughany,” Blues coach Laurie Daley said.

“He’s a guy that has played a little bit of rep football over the last couple of years with the Country Origin team.

“It looks as though the change has done him the world of good. He’s a big fella, got good leg speed and seems to be playing really well.” Importantly, he has outpointed the likes of Cronulla’s Andrew Fifita and Penrith pair James Tamou and Trent Merrin — considered Blues contenders — in head-to-head battles in the first four weeks.

Vaughan was dropped by Stuart to NSW Cup for three weeks in the back end of last season but has proven himself worthy of a starting berth for Paul McGregor’s Dragons.

Props don’t usually reach the peak of their powers until their mid-20s and Vaughan, 25, said he felt like he was coming into his own.

“I think I am coming into that peak period,” he said.

“This is my fifth year in the NRL and I don’t think I’ve played my best footy yet and I think I’ve got a lot of potential that I haven’t tapped into yet. I told Mary (McGregor) that when we first sat down here to do the deal here. “I think I can play my best footy here at the Saints and it’s been good start.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/8d7254a740ba53b1020e345584c6cbdf

Gareth67

First Grade
Lord Forbid ! It's just as someone else had suggested , this fool will strip the Dragons forward pack , right to the bone this year - aka Ricky Stuart as in 2011 .

Last edited:

Latest posts