What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons fined 100k for keeping Dugan on

possm

Coach
The argument about it only being his jaw was stupid. Obviously a good enough whack to the jaw can cause concussion or KO. Any boxer knows that.
Your right!
The Club should fine Mary 100k. Maybe this will put his nose out of joint enough for him to resign. YES!

SEAT 1A

Bench
Watched the replay and Duges was in Disneyland. Tough bugger and credit to him to be able to stay on however, should have come off.

The fine is just NRL PR bulls***. Burgess elbows a player and follows it up with a few punches and wasn't sent off and gets two weeks, Nuth said about the so called NRL stance on player safety.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Greenberg is already showing inconsistency with this. What about Luke Lewis staying down after copping a hit to the jaw when the game was on the line? Where is the fine for the Sharks? Instead they hit the 3 clubs owned and in debt to the NRL.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Add to my last, Bird being dazed after his head was slammed into the turf and clearly got up slowly afterwards and Townsend as well for similar circumstances.

HenryTatana

Juniors
1. Article from Fitzsimmons.
2. Greenberg trying to justify his existence by fining clubs.
Conclusion NRL reactive
Greenberg = Gallop = No Change

The more things change the more thry stay the same.

Now thats a leader. Sees something then acts, albeit late. As opposed to Pisshead. Sees his halfback is shit, does not use interchange. Names his squad for the week, picks the same clown.

blacksafake

First Grade
It's a pity Greenberg isn't so quick to fix the fu**ing refs, bunker,the mess in the play the ball as well as the coke taking women bashers

Drakon

Juniors
It's about not leaving yourself open to being sued in the future. A la James McManus.

Walpole

Juniors
I doubt we'll have to pay a cent. Who makes the decision that Dugan was actually concussed? Todd Greenberg? Pretty sure we could challenge his medical diagnosis, especially from the comfort of his lounge chair. Unless he can provide actual evidence the Dragons contravened the rules then the NRL haven't got a leg to stand on. I assume we have a decent lawyer to draft a response to the breach notice.

The only the way the NRL will somehow come up with any sort of professionalism in this area is to, as mentioned above, have independent doctors making the assessment at each game.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons Statement: Breach Notice
Mon 20th March, 05:00PM
A A

1489988880413.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons have been advised informally – but are yet to receive details – of a Breach Notice from the NRL relating to the management of an alleged concussion during the Round 3 fixture against the Cronulla Sharks.

The Dragons have the upmost respect for player safety and fully support the NRL’s rules and processes in relation to concussion, as our track record would support.

Equally, the Dragons support the integrity of our medical staff in their decisions and delivery of the NRL's procedures and policies.

The club will await the formal breach notice details and will make no further comment until this process is complete.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/20/dragons_statement_br.html

Drakon

Juniors
It would be good if they had the utmost respect I would think. Need to get someone better to write their press releases.

mxlegend99

Referee
He clearly showed signs of concussion (the key indicators) and should have been taken off for the test at the very least. You don't need to be a doctor to see that. The NRL have tried to simplify the circumstances in which a HIA should take place. This is obviously ome of them. Hence the big fine.

The NRL has been very inconsistent on this and it's about time they cracked down across the board. At one point they claimed any sign of a concussion and that player should take no further part in the game regardless of the test. Then they seemed to ignore then multiple times every weekend a player copped a head knock. Showed some of those key indicators and played on with no assessment.

They need to be doing this every week though. Not look tough one week and let clubs get away with it the next... or else clubs and/or players will continue to roll the dice.

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors
My uncle played reggies for the bears back in the 90s. He had heaps of concussions and now he's really struggling with mental health issues that he didn't have before he made grade teams. I've gotta back the NRL on this one. Concussions can't be messed around with. Dugan should have come off to at least be examined. Toughijg out a head knock can kill you.

jay mac

Juniors
I'd prefer if the title read "Dragons find $100k for keeping Dugan". 3 letters away from being a good article.
Oh, wait, I just checked myself and realised that was such a McGregor thing to say. Kind of like losing when your opponent scores tries off kicks or nearly scoring a try but you were pulled down a metre or two from the line.

RPG437

Juniors
This is a grey area around the operation of these concussion rules. At the moment if a player is involved in a collision and stays down at all it seems like he's got to be dragged off. Can you imagine being absolutely buggered like these boys must be dealing with and your involved in a big tackle slightly mistimed - you go down and stay down literally for a blow!!!!
Can't do this no more boys or else you'll be dragged off. As tough as Duges obviously is I've seen him go down with what looks like season ending injuries only to be running freely again in 5 mins.
Will be interesting to see the clubs official response.

BennyV

Referee
Isn't there a series of questions from the assessor/trainer which will dictate the need to bring a player off for the concussion test? Things like 'what day is it?', 'who are you playing against?', 'are you winning?' And so on...

Latest posts