What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Bench
I think we have to accept the fact Mary will get an extension. Hasler 2 year extension and Cleary to Tigers. That is if Foxtell show tonight is correct

BennyV

Referee
The obsession with the coach on this forum is out of control. I honestly think that most people here are more intent on getting a new coach than winning games of football.
Who do you think is our savior?
Newsflash, dragons players are up and playing well. They aren't giving up like the tigers.
They don't have a halfback and still are winning games of footy.
I would love to see the forums side with dufty at 1, mann at 7, field at 6 side just to see them get lapped by 60.
2017 is looking OK. Get over the obsession about sacking the coach, board, captain. It aint gonna happen.
Just support the team.
Lol cute.

Qdf

Juniors
If Mary was confirmed for 2017 after his limitations were very apparent in 2016, now after two strong performances from the team there is no reason to think this board won't extend his contract.

Perhaps he has learned something from 2016 as he claimed a month or so back. Perhaps having Mark Coyne around has helped him. Perhaps being removed from recruitment has helped him. Certainly the recruitment under Milward seems to be much better.

But if Mary is to be retained I hope he can face up to the fact that while in Rd 1 McCrone's kicking game was good his ordinary kicking in Rd 2 contributed to the loss and his worse performance yesterday made the team work much harder for the victory.

I also want Mary to work on sorting out the defensive deficiencies in the Aitken/McDonald combination.

Finally for Kurt Mann to play just 8 minutes of footy in 3 rounds is seriously pathetic! Ok, Mary you're the coach! What's next for a quality player like Mann?
Put him in for Nightingale.

possm

Coach
Rumors are that Mage is being shopped around. I say an ideal coach for the Dragons. He will come at a bargain price as South's will subsidise some of his contract. Right up Doust's ally; a bargain buy.

Sign him now and let Mary and his coaching staff find another job.

Reactions: Qdf

BennyV

Referee
Rumors are that Mage is being shopped around. I say an ideal coach for the Dragons. He will come at a bargain price as South's will subsidise some of his contract. Right up Doust's ally; a bargain buy.

Sign him now and let Mary and his coaching staff find another job.
If it is Madge (and TBH I can't see that happening) then his support staff is key. He is a hardass and twice the motivator that McGregor is, but he also has the ability to rely on his support assistants for things like strategy (see Kurt Wrigley as his right-hand man 2013 through 2015). Weirdly enough, a bloke like Jason Taylor would make a wonderful assistant.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If Mary was confirmed for 2017 after his limitations were very apparent in 2016, now after two strong performances from the team there is no reason to think this board won't extend his contract.

Perhaps he has learned something from 2016 as he claimed a month or so back. Perhaps having Mark Coyne around has helped him. Perhaps being removed from recruitment has helped him. Certainly the recruitment under Milward seems to be much better.

But if Mary is to be retained I hope he can face up to the fact that while in Rd 1 McCrone's kicking game was good his ordinary kicking in Rd 2 contributed to the loss and his worse performance yesterday made the team work much harder for the victory.

I also want Mary to work on sorting out the defensive deficiencies in the Aitken/McDonald combination.

Finally for Kurt Mann to play just 8 minutes of footy in 3 rounds is seriously pathetic! Ok, Mary you're the coach! What's next for a quality player like Mann?

Well said steve.
I would also like them to only extended mary when the season is over not before that's if at all.
We need to see a full year to see what improvement the team has been able to show.
To see were we are at approaching to 2018 with hunt coming ect.

Old Timer

Coach
Why would we want Madge????
He lost his club to Rusty and is losing the shed to the Burgess brothers.
Failed to reatain Keary and Mc Inness which will well and truly bight them on the arse.
Left his best player on the paddock after suffering season ending injury.
Brain dead IMO and easy prey for Doust and Co.

JDHD

Juniors
Let's be fair, and please bear in mind that I am not a fan of Mary.

We're 2/3 against the competition favourites, the defending premiers and our loss was to a team led by a guy who looks like he'll win the Dally M medal. So far, this is a great start to the season. If Mary can keep this win percentage up, we will finish in the top four. Once you're in the top 4, you are a shot of winning the comp. I believe Ivan Cleary would be a coach who could win us a comp, but if an idiot like Michael Maguire can luck his way into a premiership on a hot streak of form, then Mary could too.

Wow, this thread wasn't even on the front page.
Have we all been hypnotized by winning a few games this year.
Need I remind everyone we were in the eight two thirds of the way through last year heading into the Manly game.
We actually had a pretty good run home and it all fell part through poor game plans, team selections and attitudes.

grouch

First Grade
Steve Price won the first 3 games of 2014, one of which was Cronulla at Shark Park.

Don't be fooled. He is an impostor

grouch

First Grade
Let's be fair, and please bear in mind that I am not a fan of Mary.

We're 2/3 against the competition favourites, the defending premiers and our loss was to a team led by a guy who looks like he'll win the Dally M medal. So far, this is a great start to the season. If Mary can keep this win percentage up, we will finish in the top four. Once you're in the top 4, you are a shot of winning the comp. I believe Ivan Cleary would be a coach who could win us a comp, but if an idiot like Michael Maguire can luck his way into a premiership on a hot streak of form, then Mary could too.

This is such unmitigated bullshit. Souths built to that premiership over the course of 2-3 years, improving each season to that point under Maguire. Not only that, he has a proven record prior to joining Souths - winning a Superleague premiership with Wigan.

This thread is depressing. People are clearly seduced by March victories, and it's obvious that the management of the club will capitalise on this by extending their boy for another few years. We are doomed

God-King Dean

Immortal
Mary will be re-signed, I've no doubt on that. The forwards will win us enough game to get him an extension.

The best part of Hunt signing with is there is absolutely no excuse not to do well in 2018 onwards - there can be no 'We're rebuilding....' cop outs.

2018 & onwards, if we don't make the 8, it's instant sacking as fair as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors
This is such unmitigated bullshit. Souths built to that premiership over the course of 2-3 years, improving each season to that point under Maguire. Not only that, he has a proven record prior to joining Souths - winning a Superleague premiership with Wigan.

This thread is depressing. People are clearly seduced by March victories, and it's obvious that the management of the club will capitalise on this by extending their boy for another few years. We are doomed

I'm not 'seduced by March victories'. I want to see this form keep up for at least ten more rounds before I even start thinking about resigning Mary, but if we're winning, that's what we want.

Michael Maguire also sold half the team to buy back Sam Burgess and left Inglis on the field in round one this year, showing that he doesn't give a shit about his players health as long as he gets to keep his interchange rotation. He's had multiple players leave him in the last couple of years and they've all said that he's a lunatic who pushes his players past the point of exhaustion and psychologically toys with them. He got lucky because the Burgess boys had a good year and Adam Reynolds stayed on the field. Plus, if Keary doesn't play, they don't win that final.

And freaking Ian Millward has won a super league title so don't throw that out there and expect it not to get smacked down.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
You are clutching at a rather embarrassing bunch of straws, and building them into an even feebler strawman argument.

He won comps here and the UK. But nah, he got lucky.

Latest posts