What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary's use of interchange

denis preston

First Grade
The way he lets the young players rot on the bench infatuates me . The Tigers drama really hasn't helped us as one of the new coaching contenders will be gone. Surely we are not placing ourselves to retain Mary ??? On Fox last night they really gave it to the Tigers board and then the coach. Why can't they see whats happening here ? The players are really putting in under very simple to non existent game plans.

I thought ( or hoped ) that Hasler was in for next year but now I suspect the club is delaying the announcement of a coach for next year to see how we go.If we make the 8 it may be enough to retain the gooses.Making the 8 is a steller year !!!

Belta

Juniors
Denis Preston said; "The way he uses the interchange bench really infatuated me"

I assume you mean the coach infuriates you, however if you think Mary is hot stuff, that's your choice to say so and good on you for sharing you deep intimate feelings, after all it has been said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Drakon

Juniors
The way he lets the young players rot on the bench infatuates me . The Tigers drama really hasn't helped us as one of the new coaching contenders will be gone. Surely we are not placing ourselves to retain Mary ??? On Fox last night they really gave it to the Tigers board and then the coach. Why can't they see whats happening here ? The players are really putting in under very simple to non existent game plans.

I thought ( or hoped ) that Hasler was in for next year but now I suspect the club is delaying the announcement of a coach for next year to see how we go.If we make the 8 it may be enough to retain the gooses.Making the 8 is a steller year !!!
......and it would be a stellar year!

possm

Coach
Mary's use of the bench is an insight on the way he coaches the team;
Wasted opportunity
Not full use of the team's resources
No understanding or respect for players sitting on the bench all game.

Mary should reflect on his days as a player and consider his feelings about a coach leaving him on the bench for a full game.

ALSGI

Bench
Mary's use of the bench is an insight on the way he coaches the team;
Wasted opportunity
Not full use of the team's resources
No understanding or respect for players sitting on the bench all game.

Mary should reflect on his days as a player and consider his feelings about a coach leaving him on the bench for a full game.
Good point possm.
Mary should reflect on his days as a player.

Trouble is when he was a player, he was one of the two best Centres we had, even in his last year, probably head and shoulders above next best Centre we had. So, on relection he's in foreign territory having a number of potentially better juniors in the mix.

Also, on reflection to when he was a player the 'old boy' system was the norm, the only way to do things.
Craig Young was already a major force in the internal politics as well as a 'player' at 'state/national' level. Young lost his status elsewhere as better, smarter people came through but he still has far too much influence at Dragons and nothing will change until he, Doust and the old boys f**k off for the sake of our club.
Most of the other sponges, old boys and.....enough, already feel better now.

Reactions: Qdf

MilanDragon

Juniors
Mary's use of the bench reminds me somewhat of how soccer teams use their bench when blooding a youngster. Out of their 3 interchange so many times you will see a youngster they want to expose to the top level 10 minutes at the end, which isn't so bad there as they play over 40 games a season (league games cup games etc) and as the season goes they get more minutes and a chance to play in cup fixtures.

That works great for the European soccer leagues but not the NRL and definitely not with a 24 year old (Mann) who has played and shown he can handle NRL. Last week he should've come straight on for McCrone but generally who do you bring the utility on for? The Hooker or basically in a 'roaming' role. I could deal with Mann getting only 20 minutes a game if everyone is playing well and the team is up. But if someone is having a shocker or the team needs a spark then bring him on

Old Timer

Coach
If Mann was playing he would be living in Vaughan, JDB and Lam's pockets just waiting to pounce.
Mc Crone, Lafai, Aitken are yet to wake up to the fact we are busting the line this year.

possm

Coach
If Mann was playing he would be living in Vaughan, JDB and Lam's pockets just waiting to pounce.
Mc Crone, Lafai, Aitken are yet to wake up to the fact we are busting the line this year.
And yes Mary wouldn't know to tell them either.

Coffs dragon

Bench
You would think between Mary, Dean Young and Ben Hornby that they could get the balance right on the bench. Surely one of them can see the benefit of impact players playing a role and contributing in a team performance, rather than carying spares just in case of an emergency.
If Mary let's his assistants contribute in the team coaching then FFS let the 4 bench players have a go!!

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Kurt Mann token 7min stint once the game was won. Either give him a proper role in the side or drop him to NSW cup so he can play some football. Show the kid some respect!

Spot on bring the noise.
I think he only gave he a run to shut the crowd up they were yelling for mann to come on.
Also when someone dose get injured and we need Kurt to play 80 mins he will not have any match fitness.

BennyV

Referee
Leilua > Host
Overall, untrue.

However, Host needs some game time in his actual position on the edge, so those 2, along with Sele, should be rotated through that bench spot to maintain match fitness and give other blokes exposure to first grade.

loveoursaints

Juniors
Good point possm.
Mary should reflect on his days as a player.

Trouble is when he was a player, he was one of the two best Centres we had, even in his last year, probably head and shoulders above next best Centre we had. So, on relection he's in foreign territory having a number of potentially better juniors in the mix.

Also, on reflection to when he was a player the 'old boy' system was the norm, the only way to do things.
Craig Young was already a major force in the internal politics as well as a 'player' at 'state/national' level. Young lost his status elsewhere as better, smarter people came through but he still has far too much influence at Dragons and nothing will change until he, Doust and the old boys f**k off for the sake of our club.
Most of the other sponges, old boys and.....enough, already feel better now.
I think its perfect. We are winning....mary is the coach. Same as players decision on the field we dont agree with always. But its THEIR call.

Latest posts