What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup 2017

jim_57

Staff member
Couldn't see a thread, in to round 4 with one amatuer clubs remaining and all Championship teams entering this weekend.

So far:

London Broncos 26 - 30 Toronto Wolfpack
Dewsbury 36
- 8 Newcastle

This weekend:
Oldham V Haydock
Toulouse V Batley
Swinton V London Skolars
Barrow V Keighley
Whitehaven V Oxford
Hull KR V Sheffield
Bradford V Featherstone
All Golds V Doncaster
York V Rochedale
Halifax V Hunslet

jim_57

Staff member
Good win for Toronto against a likely top 4 Championship team, London apparently flattered by the scoreline as well.

I've mentioned in the Toronto thread they could make a big statement having a deep cup run this year. They are all but locked in to get promoted so no real surprise there.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Oldham had to come from behind to beat Haydock after the Amateur side led 8-0.
Best ever performance by a Lower League side ever apparently, 4th Round, spectacular stuff!.

roughyedspud

Coach
Challenge Cup fifth round draw:

Leigh Centurions v Hull Kingston Rovers

Featherstone Rovers v Oldham

Leeds Rhinos v Doncaster

Salford Red Devils v Toronto Wolfpack

Whitehaven/Oxford v Halifax

Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs

Huddersfield Giants v Swinton Lions

York City Knights v Barrow Raiders

Salford v Toronto should be good

langpark

First Grade
I think all teams should be in by now. It's my only complaint with the current set-up. I think winning just 3 matches and getting to the final is one match too few. Anyway, still looking forward to these matches.

roughyedspud

Coach
I think there needs to be a massive restructuring of the challenge cup...I'd split it into 3 tournaments.

The challenge cup for super league teams

The challenge trophy for championship teams

The challenge shield for league one & amateurs teams

Then a finals day at Wembley..

Also with the likelihood of the 8s being scrapped there's scope to change the challenge cup & trophy to have groups then knockouts, say 4 groups of 3 or 3 groups of 4 to give clubs 2 or 3 extra home games,then semi's and final...

I'd keep the challenge shield straight knockout though..

But anyway...

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
I'm a bit of old timer on this fourm but being from the other side of the Great Divide I remember fondly Australia's attempt at rivalling the Challenge Cup, started in 1974 it was the AMCO Cup and created legends.
Over the last couple of years there has been the odd upset on the way but in the end the more Professional clubs will always prevail, Haydock gained much publicity in giving Oldham a run for their money, Siddal gave the upstarts Toronto a big welcome to Rugby League and now the Wolfpack in turn have sent London packing, keep the Dream Alive, while not a fan of the round ball game the FA Cup often features sides from the Lower echelons who have had the odd upset or two.

roughyedspud

Coach
stop! they didn't give us a run for our money lol...they scored a couple of unconverted tries early on and one more on the 80th min...we scored 40pts inbetween..

did i read something about a new cup comp is sydney? along the lines of the challenge cup? sure i saw something a week or two ago?

Tigers1986

Juniors
Maybe in the lower leagues but it'll never happen in the NRL. They whinge too much about burnout now.

I'd go stand alone origin weekends, then have cup finals on those rounds for the teams to play without their origin stars.

Origin 1 - Round of 16
Origin 2 - Quarter Finals
Origin 3 - Semi Finals
Test Weekend - Cup Final

That way everyone is still actively playing and there's another incentive for cash and a trophy. 9's, Cup, JJ Giltinan and the Provan-Summons.

langpark

First Grade
I think there needs to be a massive restructuring of the challenge cup...I'd split it into 3 tournaments.
The challenge cup for super league teams
The challenge trophy for championship teams
The challenge shield for league one & amateurs teams
But that's the magic of the cup!! The possibility of a minnow coming up against one of the heavyweights, or for example, Leigh Miners Rangers' dream run last year...

stop! they didn't give us a run for our money lol...they scored a couple of unconverted tries early on and one more on the 80th min...we scored 40pts inbetween..
I wouldn't say a 'run for their money, but definitely a respectable scoreline. I'm glad their fans got to have that nice moment there at the start too where they took the lead, before 'reality set it'.

roughyedspud

Coach
I'm sure they'd swap a dream run for a chance to play at Wembley in the shield final..Likewise championship clubs in the trophy final

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
This weekend sees the 5th Round of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup, a great mixture of all 3 levels of the English competitions and some great match ups, home team mentioned 1st, SL = Super League, L1 = League 1
Friday Leeds Rhinos SL V Doncaster Dons L1
Saturday Leigh Centurions SL V Hull Kingston Rovers Championship
Sunday Salford Red Devils SL V Toronto Wolfpack L1
Huddersfield Giants SL V Swinton Lions Championship
Featherstone Rovers V Oldham Roughyeds Both Championship
Dewsbury Rams V Batley Bulldogs Both Championship
York Knights V Barrow Raiders Both League 1
Whitehaven L1 V Halifax Championship
Some great match ups here, looking forward to to watching some games over the weekend, Go Doncaster!.