What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

T-Boon

Coach
The new saying is "when you play games on a Thursday night and start them at 8.10pm then you deserve shit crowds"

Even the class dimwit is smart enough to copy off the neighbours answers. If the NRL don't know why 7.30 is a better time to start night games why don't they just look at the AFL and copy just to see how it works out. Could be the correct answer.

Raiderdave

First Grade
no good complaining after the horse has bolted
we can't change these days or their kickoff times this season

we can't change them next year either

we can ... ensure the bigger better encounters are played on days & at times where fans can re engage with the game through attending it.

& the deal we do for 2023-2027
has no stupid days .. or kickoff times in it at all...

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Shane Richardson when at nrl said it best when discussing TV times and stadiums

"When your getting the dollars who cares about how it looks "

Basically sums it up

adamkungl

Immortal
This is at the NRL's feet. Rank amateurs.
And no - I didn't go. As I said earlier, why bother going to away games in terrible time slots with bad transport and bad weather.

Crowds should be the game's #1 priority - TV sells itself (if you don't have a massive conflict of interest ala the News Ltd run former NRL).

Thursday night is the new Monday.

insert.pause

First Grade
And no - I didn't go. As I said earlier, why bother going to away games in terrible time slots with bad transport and bad weather.

Crowds should be the game's #1 priority - TV sells itself (if you don't have a massive conflict of interest ala the News Ltd run former NRL).

Clubs are just as much to blame, we have games on sunny Sunday afternoons that also struggle to draw crowds. Tonight's game was scheduled for a Sunday afternoon in 2015, it was Souths first home game as defending premiers, they pulled something like 25k. It's too easy for Sydney clubs to point the finger at the NRL, you don't often hear clubs outside Sydney blaming the NRL for not promoting their games. It's primarily the clubs responsibility.

Marley

Juniors
I think that's one thing as a Melburnian that I can't understand.

How can two traditional teams in NRL's heartland draw so little between them? Aren't Souths supposed to be a big club?

The Swans never draw such a poor crowd. They'll get 30K this week easily.

Definitely has something to do with the NRL's lack of promotion, but I can't pinpoint what exactly it is. Atmosphere definitely impacts the watchability of the game.

Teddyboy

First Grade
no good complaining after the horse has bolted
we can't change these days or their kickoff times this season

we can't change them next year either

we can ... ensure the bigger better encounters are played on days & at times where fans can re engage with the game through attending it.

& the deal we do for 2023-2027
has no stupid days .. or kickoff times in it at all...
The damage will already be done when the NRL gets 100 %.....maybe.

LeonardC

Juniors
As an NRL fan I am utterly embarrassed in all honesty. AFL got over 73k tonight between Carlton and Richmond (neither side expected to make finals and Carlton firm favourites for the wooden spoon.) I'll be surprised if get a crowd half as big all season (besides Brisbane) let alone on a Thursday night between 2 struggling teams! We need to do something about this before it is too late.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's aready too late! We are locked into this sht intil 2023 and the nrl has no clue and the clubs are so skint they can't afford to do anything radical. The game is static and no signs that will change.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Yeah that's really not a good look. I know the NRL likes to think they have the money in the bank but those are 2 marquee matchups that have been put at a terrible time slot. Those games get 30k each at least on a Saturday or Sunday and we've only managed what 14k for the dogs and 10k tonight. It looks bad on tv and would have been worse at the game.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

It's worse than Monday due to the starting time. 8.10pm is criminal. You can forget going to the ground and you can forget kids staying up to watch the whole game on tv.

What a great way to piss on one of your top rivalry games. Expecting big numbers of Souths and Roosters fans to travel to Homebush on a Thursday night for a game that starts at 8.10pm. LOL

This mob are just as bad as Gallop and co.