What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

beave

Coach
Because the other main league tv market is stuck in 1935 without daylight savings. That's why the kick off is so late.

adamkungl

Immortal
As a comparison for just how bad that crowd is, Roosters (with no fans according to everyone ) even managed 13k on a Thursday against Dogs.
This isn't a crack at Souths but to point out how bad ANZ is for this timeslot.

The Nrl cost South Sydney 10-15k gate by putting this on a Thursday. But at least they have that sweet TV cash to hold over the clubs as a bargaining chip.

Canard

Immortal
AFL Friday night games in Perth start at 6 for the sake of eastern tv audiences. From all accounts they hate it

Your talking about the exception rather then the rule.

Im not defending that crap code, but why for example do we need a game starting a 8.15/8.20pm on a Thu for 20 rounds of the year?

If its going to be on a "school" night surely make it start close to 7pm.

Billythekid

First Grade
It makes a total mockery of the NRL and all these excuses when the AFL comes straight out and gets 70K+ people to a Thursday night game. Their game finishes just as late as ours as well.

It's an awful look for the game and it's only a matter of time before it has an impact on tv ratings as well.

The AFL starts are 7pm, why can't the NRL.

There is no excuse, we should be able to. Having said that the AFL goes for 3 hours so it finishes as late anyway.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Your talking about the exception rather then the rule.

Im not defending that crap code, but why for example do we need a game starting a 8.15/8.20pm on a Thu for 20 rounds of the year?

If its going to be on a "school" night surely make it start close to 7pm.

Yep if you're going to have a thursday night game. Either have it early and at the SFS - to catch the city workers before they go home. Or have it early out at homebush to maximise families going.

No-one's going to go home and then get out to homebush late on a school night sans kids. Just dumb.

adamkungl

Immortal
It makes a total mockery of the NRL and all these excuses when the AFL comes straight out and gets 70K+ people to a Thursday night game. Their game finishes just as late as ours as well.

It's an awful look for the game and it's only a matter of time before it has an impact on tv ratings as well.

There is no excuse, we should be able to. Having said that the AFL goes for 3 hours so it finishes as late anyway.

The AFL have a long standing membership and crowd culture that was built over decades.
And Melbourne's central stadiums are actually centrally located and easy to get to, whereas Sydney's are pretty painful.
But the first point is the more important one - comparisons at this stage are fairly meaningless.

The NRLs membership program is 10-20 years behind, despite rapid growth, and most importantly the NRL (despite claiming to be targetting a 20k average by this year) have actively made moves to subdue crowds.
Timeslots, scheduling, stadium choices and poorly designed rule changes are all contributing.

The real concern isn't NRL vs AFL, it's ARLC-NRL vs Gallop-NRL. To be losing crowds compared to an organisation that was run by a puppet with a media company deliberately underselling it is a tragic embarrassment to say the least.

T-Boon

Coach
IF they are going to have Thursday night time slots (or Friday at 6) the NRL should give them all to 2 teams alternating each fortnight (for instance any 2 of the Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Canberra, North Queensland, Penrith) and support them in trying to make the most out of it. Give them extra advertisement money for example. Help them to market it as a positive thing. "We play the same time, same place every fortnight"...And reward them with the sensible scheduling of their away games.

It has to be no later than 7.30 kick off.

Last edited:
Just on ANZ.

I have mentioned in this thread a number of times my company has a box there.

I have the box for Saturday nights Sharks v Eels. I struggled to give the tickets away outside my core group of footy tragic mates and it is free piss, free food, good seats and if you lived near me I was springing for the Ubers. Most of my mates support the Sharks too.

*I am in the demographic where most of my mates have real young children.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Sydney is a difficult city to get around at the best of times. Moving the game so far from the traditional base of the team is already potentially going to wreck crowds.

Then you think that people would struggle to be home by 11pm and thats getting pretty late on a Thursday night even without kids.

Billythekid

First Grade
The AFL have a long standing membership and crowd culture that was built over decades.
And Melbourne's central stadiums are actually centrally located and easy to get to, whereas Sydney's are pretty painful.
But the first point is the more important one - comparisons at this stage are fairly meaningless.

The NRLs membership program is 10-20 years behind, despite rapid growth, and most importantly the NRL (despite claiming to be targetting a 20k average by this year) have actively made moves to subdue crowds.
Timeslots, scheduling, stadium choices and poorly designed rule changes are all contributing.

The real concern isn't NRL vs AFL, it's ARLC-NRL vs Gallop-NRL. To be losing crowds compared to an organisation that was run by a puppet with a media company deliberately underselling it is a tragic embarrassment to say the least.

It's not as if Melbourne is the only place the AFL get good crowds. Their crowds in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide are all phenominal. No doubt next week in Sydney the swans will get a crowd that dwarfs any crowd in Sydney for the NRL so far this year so it's hard to just blame Sydney.

I know why a 1:1 comparison between the AFL and NRL isn't fair. My point is that it looks bad when all year long we've been hearing that Thursday night is awful for crowds and no one could pull a big crowd on that night and then bam the AFL attract 70K (the swans have previously pulled 30K+ as well from memory).

I agree though that the bigger concern is that even when you compare the NRL to itself crowds are still stagnate and based on the start of the year are almost certainly going to decline.

We have more money, resources and media coverage then ever before. We have far more members than ever before and growing. Yet crowds are going nowhere if not backwards.

Even worse so far this year ratings have remained flat, even a tiny bit down despite this.

The NRL is totally incompetent and is making even the Gallop administration look great which as you say is pathetic.

Valheru

Coach
Was there actually a crowd announced? Can't see it in this thread nor in any of the match reviews online

It must have been awful

adamkungl

Immortal
It's not as if Melbourne is the only place the AFL get good crowds. Their crowds in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide are all phenominal. No doubt next week in Sydney the swans will get a crowd that dwarfs any crowd in Sydney for the NRL so far this year so it's hard to just blame Sydney.

I know why a 1:1 comparison between the AFL and NRL isn't fair. My point is that it looks bad when all year long we've been hearing that Thursday night is awful for crowds and no one could pull a big crowd on that night and then bam the AFL attract 70K (the swans have previously pulled 30K+ as well from memory).

I agree though that the bigger concern is that even when you compare the NRL to itself crowds are still stagnate and based on the start of the year are almost certainly going to decline.

We have more money, resources and media coverage then ever before. We have far more members than ever before and growing. Yet crowds are going nowhere if not backwards.

Even worse so far this year ratings have remained flat, even a tiny bit down despite this.

The NRL is totally incompetent and is making even the Gallop administration look great which as you say is pathetic.

It does look bad.
I guess the point I was trying to make that is even in the best conditions (ie. the NRL making crowds its #1 priority and everyone getting on board) we're a long way off 70k for regular season games, due to the culture taking a long time to build. If we were pulling 20-25k regularly that would be a great result on its own terms - but still nowhere near the AFL.

The concern is that the NRL aren't even trying to create those conditions. They're actively trashing the environment required to build crowds. As you say, stagnant at best, in harsh reality they are in decline.

T-Boon

Coach
Thursday KNIGHT Football

I recon if they had Thursday night football every second Thursday in Newcastle, kick off at 7.15 and gave the Knights some marketing dollars it could become a great tradition in Newcastle to get to the game.

Fire the canons at Fort Scratchley every Thursday arvo at 5pm when everyone is leaving the office.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
It does look bad.
I guess the point I was trying to make that is even in the best conditions (ie. the NRL making crowds its #1 priority and everyone getting on board) we're a long way off 70k for regular season games, due to the culture taking a long time to build. If we were pulling 20-25k regularly that would be a great result on its own terms - but still nowhere near the AFL.

The concern is that the NRL aren't even trying to create those conditions. They're actively trashing the environment required to build crowds. As you say, stagnant at best, in harsh reality they are in decline.

I don't have any expectations of NRL games attracting 70K fans or anything like that. It's unrealistic to ever expect us to match the AFL and I'm fine with that. It's just that extreme example that happened to be their first game. People on here have been acting like Thursday nights make it impossible to draw a good crowd and totally blame it for the embarrassing crowd last night. Meanwhile the AFL come out and make a total mockery of that argument by drawing a monster crowd that same night. As mentioned previously you could forgive anyone flicking between the channels for assuming that the AFL is a much bigger sport and I can see why people would rather watch that.

I agree with the point you're making. You don't even need to look at the AFL to be concerned. The NRL aren't interested in growing crowds. They have no interest in expansion. They do nothing to support the international game and essentially work against it. Even when it comes to TV ratings they do little to promote the game (outside of allowing these awful timeslots).

The only area which seems to be a big positive right now is memberships.

You could be forgiven for thinking the only thing the NRL actually give a f**k about is SOO. It takes all the advertising budget and all the focus from the NRL to the detriment of everything else.

Thursday KNIGHT Football

I recon if they had Thursday night football every second Thursday in Newcastle, kick off at 7.15 and gave the Knights some marketing dollars it could become a great tradition in Newcastle to get to the game.

Fire the canons at Fort Scratchily every Thursday arvo at 5pm when everyone is leaving the office.

What specifically about Newcastle makes it more suitable to Thursday night? This is a dumb plan and actively hurts on of the NRL's most important teams strategically.

Then again it's not half as crazy as your usual posts so I'll give you that.

T-Boon

Coach
What specifically about Newcastle makes it more suitable to Thursday night? This is a dumb plan and actively hurts on of the NRL's most important teams strategically.

Then again it's not half as crazy as your usual posts so I'll give you that.

The name works well. Thursday KNIGHT Football. Newcastle would do better than Sydney teams on Thursday night because it is much easier to get to the ground. People don't dread traffic here. Even from Maitland and Singleton its only an hours smooth drive these days - no bumper to bumper.
The advantage for the Knights fans is being able to know the schedule for the year in advance because they play the same night each fortnight. They can have a routine. Make some traditions out of it. The club gets a free to air game each week increasing sponsorship potential. Maybe they reduce ticket prices as compensation for the loss of Sunday arvo games.

Latest posts