What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 R4 - Rabbitohs 6-20 Roosters @ ANZ

Round 4: Rabbitohs v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yobbo84

First Grade
Some random thoughts on the game:
* I thought Souths held their own in the middle. We just lost on the edges which is understandable considering 4 of our best back 5 were missing, and our replacement right edge (Talakai & Moceidreke) are both left side players.
* Mitchell Pearce - as important to the Roosters as Reynolds is to Souths. I can't see the Roosters making the 8 without him, but are top 4 with him. Keary may be getting the plaudits but Pearce is running the show.
* Latrell Mitchell - I hope he spends his career with good coaches because we really could be looking at the next GI. Crazy amount of potential there.
* Zane Musgrove - important to remember that he's only 20 and that was only his 10th first grade game. Has a big future - just the right amount of crazy.
* Cody Walker has been a great find, and though Keary looks refreshed at the Roosters, we certainly don't miss him. Our issues are elsewhere.
* Angus Crichton is going to be a good player - very strong.
* Screw Thursday Night Football, especially kicking off at 8:10pm. You reap what you sow with crowds, NRL.

adamkungl

Immortal
Some random thoughts on the game:
* I thought Souths held their own in the middle. We just lost on the edges which is understandable considering 4 of our best back 5 were missing, and our replacement right edge (Talakai & Moceidreke) are both left side players.
* Mitchell Pearce - as important to the Roosters as Reynolds is to Souths. I can't see the Roosters making the 8 without him, but are top 4 with him. Keary may be getting the plaudits but Pearce is running the show.
* Latrell Mitchell - I hope he spends his career with good coaches because we really could be looking at the next GI. Crazy amount of potential there.
* Zane Musgrove - important to remember that he's only 20 and that was only his 10th first grade game. Has a big future - just the right amount of crazy.
* Cody Walker has been a great find, and though Keary looks refreshed at the Roosters, we certainly don't miss him. Our issues are elsewhere.
* Angus Crichton is going to be a good player - very strong.
* Screw Thursday Night Football, especially kicking off at 8:10pm. You reap what you sow with crowds, NRL.

All good points.

Only need to look at Roosters first half of 2016 to see the influence Pearce (and Cordner and JWH) have on the Roosters. But playing with a capable running 6 instead of a handbrake like Hastings certainly makes Pearce look better too. Haters will take this as a negative, but there's no half in the comp that succeeds without a capable partner and forward pack.

Souths certainly scrapped well to keep the scoreline respectable but executed poorly. Injuries partly to blame but there's a distinct lack of polish and something else going on. Why were the 9s kicking (very poorly) when Reynolds is supposedly the best in-play kicker in the NRL? The bloke was missing.

Thursday night football is worse than Monday night. At least Monday didn't have so many blockbusters shoehorned in to give 9 a ratings boost.

Congrats to the Roosters.

They look very polished. Rabbitohs lacking in some respects - youth, skills, big money players not putting in.

I've got to the point where Souths should offload Tom and George almost immediately (but they'd probably end up at Easts and arse rape us week in, week out).

Score was closer than I thought it would and should be, Souths threw everything at them for the last, say 15-20, but Roosters didn't crack. Good signs.

As much as I - gack...argh!!! - hate to say it, Roosters a team to beat in 2017 IMHO.

And kudos to Keary. EABODs Rusty.

yobbo84

First Grade
All good points.

Only need to look at Roosters first half of 2016 to see the influence Pearce (and Cordner and JWH) have on the Roosters. But playing with a capable running 6 instead of a handbrake like Hastings certainly makes Pearce look better too. Haters will take this as a negative, but there's no half in the comp that succeeds without a capable partner and forward pack.

Souths certainly scrapped well to keep the scoreline respectable but executed poorly. Injuries partly to blame but there's a distinct lack of polish and something else going on. Why were the 9s kicking (very poorly) when Reynolds is supposedly the best in-play kicker in the NRL? The bloke was missing.

Thursday night football is worse than Monday night. At least Monday didn't have so many blockbusters shoehorned in to give 9 a ratings boost.

Keary is definitely a good 6 when he has a 7 inside him who controls the game. He plays what he sees and was a major factor in us winning in '14. However if you rely on Keary to control the team (like we had to when Reynolds was injured last year), you're going to struggle. Pearce is definitely key.

Reynolds wasn't at his best last night undoubtedly. However his wife did give birth less than 48 hours earlier - players are humans too, it's obvious he just had an off night. He's proven himself over the years to be better than that.

As for lack of polish - we're still trying to figure out how to play without GI. E.g. our backline sweeps worked much better when the defence were worrying about what GI was going to do - with Alex Johnston that concern isn't there. Defenders make poor decisions on GI just because he's GI. We'll get there in attack, just hope the season isn't gone before we do.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Cody Walker looks an out and out star. Crazy to think he didnt debut until he was 26 or whatever, scary to think how good he could have been if he was playing 1st grade at 21/22.

adamkungl

Immortal
Keary is definitely a good 6 when he has a 7 inside him who controls the game. He plays what he sees and was a major factor in us winning in '14. However if you rely on Keary to control the team (like we had to when Reynolds was injured last year), you're going to struggle. Pearce is definitely key.

Reynolds wasn't at his best last night undoubtedly. However his wife did give birth less than 48 hours earlier - players are humans too, it's obvious he just had an off night. He's proven himself over the years to be better than that.

As for lack of polish - we're still trying to figure out how to play without GI. E.g. our backline sweeps worked much better when the defence were worrying about what GI was going to do - with Alex Johnston that concern isn't there. Defenders make poor decisions on GI just because he's GI. We'll get there in attack, just hope the season isn't gone before we do.

Good point on GI. Despite not being at his career best, he's still a massive influence on field. Defenders are forced to gravitate towards him opening up the rest of the field.

What do you think of Farah? Really not a fan of his work anymore, he hasn't been good for a few years now. Slow service and hero plays.

Good point on GI. Despite not being at his career best, he's still a massive influence on field. Defenders are forced to gravitate towards him opening up the rest of the field.

What do you think of Farah? Really not a fan of his work anymore, he hasn't been good for a few years now. Slow service and hero plays.

Too many kicks to opposing players, ricochets off the opposition boots and fallen on by defence, kicks on 3/4 tackle.

To be fair, Souths guilty of it all night.

But the killer for Souths is ball handling. Vs Tigers and Roosters, looked ok/good early...dropped critical pill, opposition marches down town, spreads defence thin, scores. It's all too easy.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You guys legit had enough ball in the roosters 20 to score 100 tries. I'd be very concerned if I was a Bunnies fan
Exactly. Against one of the top 4 contender teams we did well enough to consistently make the hard yards. Now it's just about getting execution nad timing right on the tryline.

I'd rather be a mid table team in our position than a mid table team doing the opposite, getting the fancy stuff right while getting killed in the middle.

Latest posts