What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stay in your positions and hang onto the ball

John Miller

Juniors
Last night's game against Easts was another example of the need to stay in your designated positions ... particular on the wings, and defend your line. Same goes for the fullback. When attacking, it's acceptable for the fullback to move up in the line and help play the overlap, but certainly not when defending! Stay in your positions and let the ball do the work! And Tom, Sam and (although he didn't play last night) George, what is it with you guys and continually dropping the ball?
We were never gonna win that game last night. In the first half there was no enthusiasm or soul whatsoever, and our completion rate was crap. In the second half there were signs of improvement, particularly in defence, but we were so desperate for a potential second-half turnaound that we started to panic whenever we had the ball, crowding each other and seemingly not having any game plan ... it was just every man for himself, and anything but a team effort.
If I were coaching again these days, I'd be dropping half a dozen of the lowest performers and promoting some of the juniors into the vacant positions, to "blood" some depth and also to reinstate some pride in our colours. I'm not saying that some of our guys are purposely not pulling their weight, but I am saying that we're no where near as passionate as we could be week in, week out.
Are we saying that we're tossing the towel in for this season because our #1 champion Greg Inglis is out? He's a critical loss for us for sure, but I say the remaining 12 players out there need a lesson in guts and glory.

southsport

First Grade
Last night's game against Easts was another example of the need to stay in your designated positions ... particular on the wings, and defend your line. Same goes for the fullback. When attacking, it's acceptable for the fullback to move up in the line and help play the overlap, but certainly not when defending! Stay in your positions and let the ball do the work! And Tom, Sam and (although he didn't play last night) George, what is it with you guys and continually dropping the ball?
We were never gonna win that game last night. In the first half there was no enthusiasm or soul whatsoever, and our completion rate was crap. In the second half there were signs of improvement, particularly in defence, but we were so desperate for a potential second-half turnaound that we started to panic whenever we had the ball, crowding each other and seemingly not having any game plan ... it was just every man for himself, and anything but a team effort.
If I were coaching again these days, I'd be dropping half a dozen of the lowest performers and promoting some of the juniors into the vacant positions, to "blood" some depth and also to reinstate some pride in our colours. I'm not saying that some of our guys are purposely not pulling their weight, but I am saying that we're no where near as passionate as we could be week in, week out.
Are we saying that we're tossing the towel in for this season because our #1 champion Greg Inglis is out? He's a critical loss for us for sure, but I say the remaining 12 players out there need a lesson in guts and glory.

Welcome John, thanks for your thoughts.

alien

Referee
Yeah something that annoys me is when some players panic when defending and rush out of the line when they shouldn't.

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
Hard to disagree with.

I think the team just got a bit too caught up in the moment, particularly the younger guys.

It's one of those games that we'll be better for in the long run. I'm not too concerned tbh.

callmack1

Staff member
Welcome aboard mate, It's an interesting place here.

I agree with some of the points you make. Thankfully, Sam has been making a lot less errors this season, it's just the twins and I seriously don't know why that is. Every run they take my first thought is "don't drop it" and I'm starting to get sick of it! Something needs to happen with them ASAP. We know how good they can be and if they can get anywhere near that again it would be great and I'd be happy to keep them. An in form George is one of the best front rowers in the game but he hasn't had form since late 2015.

I don't think we've thrown in the towel after GI's injury, far from it. He's a huge loss though.

Last nights game was a simple case of not holding onto the ball. We can beat anyone if our completion rate is high! But last night the errors in the first half and poor ends to sets killed us. If we completed well and finished the set well I reckon that game would have been extremely close, Still we did well to only lose by 14 points considering our errors, that is a huge positive!

callmack1

Staff member
Hard to disagree with.

I think the team just got a bit too caught up in the moment, particularly the younger guys.

It's one of those games that we'll be better for in the long run. I'm not too concerned tbh.
Agreed.

big hit!

Bench
the team is doing nothing this year. the burgii played out of their skin in 13-14 but have been f**king awful since. the twins are just two big lumps who make errors. they're not bending the line either.

farah is a poor signing. just get the ball to AR. he other hangs onto it too long, does it himself, or throw a looping pass by which time the receiver has the defence in his face. just don't understand what the NSW brainstrust and tigers fans see in him apart from his great defence. was a decent all-round hooker once but hasn't maintained it with age.

the frustrating thing with the team is it's gone back to pre-13 with all the errors and poor penetration in front of the try line.

Clifferd

Coach
the team is doing nothing this year. the burgii played out of their skin in 13-14 but have been f**king awful since. the twins are just two big lumps who make errors. they're not bending the line either.

farah is a poor signing. just get the ball to AR. he other hangs onto it too long, does it himself, or throw a looping pass by which time the receiver has the defence in his face. just don't understand what the NSW brainstrust and tigers fans see in him apart from his great defence. was a decent all-round hooker once but hasn't maintained it with age.

the frustrating thing with the team is it's gone back to pre-13 with all the errors and poor penetration in front of the try line.

Lol

alien

Referee
it's just the twins and I seriously don't know why that is. Every run they take my first thought is "don't drop it"
Me too.

They should hold the ball with 2 hands and hold it tight against their body when they hit the line.

Last edited:

De tmTrajic

Juniors
Well said.

Rsag85

Bench
Wet weather football makes it hard to hang onto the ball mate just saying. More like stupid last plays in the first half cost us eg Farahs kick choices. Imo I would of went high a few times and test out the wingers a bit more

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
so ladies and gentlemen so lets get it right here without dreaming and sugar coating things my mate said we will be doing it tough this year i was told we are on 10th position on the ladder i cant be bothered looking because when the cows win we will be near the wooden spoon area......oi r20 i want to join the dreamers club on here r20 lets join mate it looks like fun and they all know everything about rugby league gee i am really hoping that tyrrell is playing this week he looks the best in fitness i have seen in years he looks so big mate, and turner looks even bigger and clarky is great too and while i am at it lets start a tipping comp r20 so then we can tip the cows against souths just so that we fit in here with the dreamers and the dont knowers and the cant seers club what do you say mate?? i want to be an unsouth sydney fan so that we both dont look out of place on here..... Shadow..................

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yep why not!!!!!

Gee I am excited for Turner as he will run rings around Lowe and Hess.

Gee Bolton must be shitting himself with Clark running at him.

The Cows forwards must be worried about how they will get through our brick wall at the back AJ.

Tyrrell should be played at prop too!!!!! He can break the line!!!!

Let's play Rochow too. He will get us right on the front foot!!!!

Linnett will be shitting himself trying to get past Talakai.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
Yep why not!!!!!

Gee I am excited for Turner as he will run rings around Lowe and Hess.

Gee Bolton must be shitting himself with Clark running at him.

The Cows forwards must be worried about how they will get through our brick wall at the back AJ.

Tyrrell should be played at prop too!!!!! He can break the line!!!!

Let's play Rochow too. He will get us right on the front foot!!!!

Linnett will be shitting himself trying to get past Talakai.

upload_2017-3-27_17-0-30.jpeg

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
oi rsag sing along with me mate cry me a river....Shadow...
images

Latest posts