What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souffs 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
I Can't give mine at this stage due to having my own sporting commitments and only seeing bits and pieces of the game plus highlights.

From what I have seen/read, the defensive effort was strong again and the attack disjointed at times in what were terrible conditions.

4 from 4 to start the season is a great feeling. The last thing I want is to be that team who starts the team on fire and fades away at the end of the season but I have faith that Robbo won't have any of that. In the presser he seemed filthy with the attack and patience which is only a good sign.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Yeah it was a funny one, to be honest souths dominated us in meters and at the first point of contact for most of the game after our strong start. Defence was great although if souths had held onto the ball they could have put a bit more pressure on us. Sam staying on the field in the second half would have also made it more interesting as id say he definitely got the better of our props in the first half.

I thought we looked pretty tired most of the game. not sure if there were any tactics there from robbo to start extending the minutes but as an example JWH played the whole first half and looked totally out on his feet when we really could have done with some fresh legs of the bench.

definitely missed friendy in the middle conceeding a few line breaks beteen the A and B defenders. oh and if SKD had a brain cell it would be lonely.....

3. Cords- Just a beast
2. Toops- I rag on the guy a lot but he had a massive play in the first half. After a line break he ran down walker then made the next two tackles and forced an error. He and Latrell defended their edge extremely well also
1. Pearce- Defended his guts out covering for a few of Manu's misreads and miss tackles on more than one occaision. long kicking game was pretty good also.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Agree with above 3 2 1s.

Toops had a massive set where he chased down a Cody Walker linebreak, made the next tackle from marker with everyone else offside, and made the next tackle forcing the ball loose. Outstanding winger defensive set.

Back in the good books!

H.H

Juniors
3 - Cordner
2 - JWH
1 - Toops

Agree with the Toops comments. That effort on effort stuff just hasn't been in his game previously and it was a massive play. Then we scored next set so huge in the context of the game. Seems like a different player this year and I like it.

Thought Pearce very good again too. Every highlight Keary produces is off the back of the space Pearce creates for him. Playing as well as I've seen.

Tommy Smith

Referee
3. Cordner - he's now the equal of the legendary Craig Fitzgibbon in my eyes.
2. Toops - outstanding again. The complete winger's performance.
1. Pearce - another good all round performance. His long kicking game is immense.

adamkungl

Immortal
3. Cordner - he's now the equal of the legendary Craig Fitzgibbon in my eyes.
2. Toops - outstanding again. The complete winger's performance.
1. Pearce - another good all round performance. His long kicking game is immense.

How about the fabled Adam Reynolds kicking game. Pmsl

OVP

Coach
3. Cords
2. Toops
1. JWH

I just wanted to say how happy I am with Toops. He was dead set the worst winger in the comp last year, but it's clear to me he has busted his balls in the off season and now is probably the best winger in the comp right now. Him and Mitchell are forming a wonderful, deadly partnership and long may it continue. RE-SIGN HIM NOW !!!

Headless Chook

Juniors
Thought the game was clearly won on the back of our defence in the second half. Admittedly Souffs weren't clinical enough to score points to threaten the lead we had built in the first half but they had more than enough chances.

3. Cords
2. Toops
1. JWH

Well, as for SKD, what can you're say?
While we tolerate his unorthodox antics it's really getting out of hand. He's like a mate everyone has who always manages to knock someone's schooner of the table for no apparent reason. You laugh about it the first 8 times it happens but in the end you just want to say to him, you know what, why don't you go find someone else to hang out with.

3 points: Boyd Cordner. Another great all round game.

2 points: Jared Warea-Hargreaves. Some outstanding defence in the first half and damaging running.

1 point: Daniel Tupou.

One note of concern though was Dylan Napa's defence. He had 6 missed tackles in the game, in 43 minutes of p[laying time. He is now in the top 5 for missed tackles in the NRL. When you see the rest of the top 5 are halves or five eighths, that is not a good look. Hit them tackle bags Dylan, they need to be effective.